Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 08, 2019 4:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reproduction grundig 960
PostPosted: Jul Sun 03, 2011 5:41 pm 

Ok, I screwed up and bought a $10 nonworking grundig 960 reproduction, I thought it looked cool and was a good place to learn transistor radios as I like shortwave radio and learning on a transistor transoceanic didn't make sense to me, with this I'm not out too much. Now that I typed a paragraph saying I realize I probably bought the wrong radio to repair on ( a little part of me is hoping otherwise) I don't need the replies rubbing my nose into my mistake ( you guys are pretty good at not doing that, but I know this one is a mistake :oops: ) is it possible to fix these things, or are they complete throwaways ?
I do like the looks of this thing, so many reproductions have a cassette slot in them or a cd slot in the front and to me that just takes away the nostalgic look, this don't have that.

I guess my question is, is it possible to repair (play with ) this radio, or is it a true throwaway ? Now back to reading and learning my new book Practical transistor servicing
Dan

Post subject: Re: Reproduction grundig 960
PostPosted: Jul Mon 04, 2011 11:53 am 

It should be OK to work on and learn repair if you can find the proper service documentation. Hopefully, it doesn't contain too many surface-mount IC chips. It would be interesting to see pictures showing how it is constructed along with a schematic. Someday, you might find a real 960 to compare it with.

Dave

PostPosted: Jul Mon 04, 2011 2:21 pm 

Thanks for the reply Dave ! Last night I saw 30 views to this post and no replies and was getting nervous. Since I posted this I found a post saying this:
I'm shocked that anyone would be tempted to purchase this chinese junk!
I opened it up to find a hotglued and fragile circuit board and cheap plastic and parts.... like those Crosley etc re-issues out there.

viewtopic.php?t=142558&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I hope to be able to work on this as I think it is a nice looking radio to sit on my display shelf and I could say it was my first transistor fix !

What are the concerns with surface mount IC chips ?

What does the post I copied above mean ? Are the components hot glued to the board verses soldered ?

Thanks, all info / advice is appreciated.
Dan

Last edited by dan d on Jul Mon 04, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 04, 2011 2:24 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
It should be OK to work on and learn repair if you can find the proper service documentation.
Dave

I forgot to add, I am coming to a dead end on my google search for a schematic / service docs for this :( any help out there on this :?
Thanks,
Dan

PostPosted: Jul Mon 04, 2011 2:44 pm 

Dan,

I believe this receiver was produced by Tecsun and sold by them as model 1959. But I doubt if you will find any service docs under this model either. If these were returned for repair under warranty they would have just replaced the radio and I doubt if there was ever any intent to actually service the board. In that respect they are like some of the console HiFi gear produced in the U.S. where the case was far more valuable than the electronics inside.

What are the symptoms of the problem? Some faults are mechanical and often obvious (wire broken in shipping, cracked trace on a board) while a completely dead radio is often the power supply which is fairly easy to troubleshoot.

Or consider this an opportunity to homebrew a nice tube or solid state radio to take advantage of the $10 case and speakers that you purchased. For $10 (assuming the shipping wasn't horrible) you certainly didn't suffer a major loss :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jul Mon 04, 2011 3:27 pm 

rsingl wrote:
Dan,
Or consider this an opportunity to homebrew a nice tube or solid state radio to take advantage of the $10 case and speakers that you purchased. For $10 (assuming the shipping wasn't horrible) you certainly didn't suffer a major loss :)

Rodger WQ9E

Thanks Rodger ! No shipping, we saw it in an antique mall, obviously this is no antique !
I asked if we could plug it in and nothing at all, the cord appears fine. I actually passed on it and didn't buy it, on the ride home ( it's an hour away ) I got to thinking just what you said, the case is very nice and I like to tinker, so $10 for a cheap weekend ot two (maybe 3 or 4 even :wink:) of entertainemt / education is very reasonable. I called my nephew who lives a few blocks away and told him to go grab it for me.

I would first like to try and fix it, as I like to occasionally skip thru the shortwave dial. If I cannot, then a solid state home brew might become the plan, that would probably be more difficult for me, but I like to learn !

Thanks for the info I believe this receiver was produced by Tecsun and sold by them as model 1959 off to googling again !
Dan

PostPosted: Jul Mon 04, 2011 4:47 pm 

I'm not finding a grundig 960 or tecsun 1959 schematics :? Anyone have any source for this schematic ?
Thanks,
Dan

PostPosted: Jul Wed 20, 2011 11:12 pm 

Dan,

If it doesn't power up, just look for the obvious!

Although I haven't worked on this model, I have some experience with the cheaply made Repro Thomas & Crosley radios. The last one I worked on, a neat juke box model, didn't come on either. I found that two switches were bad. One was the power/volume control for the radio and the other for the lights. These switches are made so cheaply. They looked good physically, but the hardware inside for the switch actuation, were made from plastic that became brittle and failed.

Check the on/off switch first.

It's probably just a bad tube or something?
If it has a short, can you make it longer?

PostPosted: Jul Thu 21, 2011 1:22 am 

I had one of those pieces of garbage brought in by a customer a while back.
I repaired the dial drive on it because it was also garbage-designed.

Snazzy or not, I don't know why anyone would waste time on them.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 24, 2011 5:26 am 

I have one also, I tried even calling customer service, to get a schematic to no avail, did a lot of web surfing and finally gave up, the volume control shaft is broken off so I set it with a screwdriver and installed a toggle switch for on and off. Has a little hum. I used polish on the case and it looks purty. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 2:55 am 

I know this post has been dead for nearly 8-9 years, but I happen to come across this post out of boredom. I thought it would be worth mentioning that i have one of these El Cheapo reproduction Grundig 960 radios that I bought brand new in 2004-2005. Well, for the last 10 years, it has been on 24/7. Except when the power has been out, the radio has been on for 10 years and has never quit. I'm actually very shocked because of how inexpensive it was and how cheaply it was made. I guess it's on borrowed time now, but as we speak it's still going! (Knocks on wood). haha

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 3:38 pm 

Most likely this set being present day circuitry has most of the circuitry in an IC (such as 2003, 1083, etc). If that's the case I would call up the data sheet for the IC on line and look at the application circuit. Many radios copy that circuit. This should give you a rough idea of the schematic. Ken