Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 25, 2020 4:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: G.E. P-1920A Long Range TRF
PostPosted: Aug Wed 12, 2020 11:05 pm 

fifties wrote:
Was it described as in working condition?

"Vintage GE P1920A 14 transistor Long Range Musaphonic Radio AM FM
Plug in power supply included
Used working condition"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GE-P19 ... 7675.l2557

PostPosted: Aug Wed 12, 2020 11:23 pm 

Looks like the seller may have screwed you over twice; once for not including the P/S, which he definitely owes you, and again if fresh batteries don't get the set working.

If you think -assuming it doesn't work w/ new batteries- that you can fix it, you might message him and tell him to send the power supply that he forgot to include, and that you need to see a partial refund, maybe 10 or 15 dollars. If not, you can file a SNAD claim with eBay, who will then send you a pre-paid (at the sellers expense) return label to print out.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 12, 2020 11:59 pm 

fifties wrote:
Dalton wrote:
Unfortunately, it looks like mine is DOA.
Unboxed it, the power cord pictured in the description isn't there, and I put batteries (4 C cells) in, with no result.
I am going to try buying brand new batteries, in case I had a bad one.
Hate to send it back.
It's a nice looking, heavy radio.
Reminds me of the P-780.

Was it described as in working condition?

Yup

PostPosted: Aug Thu 13, 2020 12:19 am 

fifties wrote:
Looks like the seller may have screwed you over twice; once for not including the P/S, which he definitely owes you, and again if fresh batteries don't get the set working.

If you think -assuming it doesn't work w/ new batteries- that you can fix it, you might message him and tell him to send the power supply that he forgot to include, and that you need to see a partial refund, maybe 10 or 15 dollars. If not, you can file a SNAD claim with eBay, who will then send you a pre-paid (at the sellers expense) return label to print out.

Thanks, I really hope it works with new batteries.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 13, 2020 12:21 pm 

Dalton wrote:
egg wrote:
(P-1930A schematic)

Thanks much for the schematic.
Note that the schematic that Greg posted is not for your radio.

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Thu 13, 2020 11:23 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Dalton wrote:
egg wrote:
(P-1930A schematic)

Thanks much for the schematic.
Note that the schematic that Greg posted is not for your radio.

Dave

Thanks!
New batteries no workee.

Been having bad luck on the auction site.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 14, 2020 1:00 am 

There are two pictures of the battery cover in the listing but none of the battery compartment. Have you checked the condition of the battery contacts? The power supply jack on many radios is configured to disconnect the batteries when the plug is inserted. Perhaps the batteries are not being re-connected with the plug removed. Maybe the radio did work for the seller when he tried it with the power supply. The least he can do is send you the power supply which is stated in his listing as being included. Have you contacted him about this? He has 100% positive feedback so I suspect he'll want to keep that rating.

I've hardly ever bought any used electronics on ebay that was in perfect condition. An exception is my most recent purchase...a Topward Instruments dual-tracking DC power supply for fixing my transistor radios. I'd never heard of Topward Electric Instruments Co. LTD but it turned out to be a beauty.

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Sun 16, 2020 5:08 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
There are two pictures of the battery cover in the listing but none of the battery compartment. Have you checked the condition of the battery contacts? The power supply jack on many radios is configured to disconnect the batteries when the plug is inserted. Perhaps the batteries are not being re-connected with the plug removed. Maybe the radio did work for the seller when he tried it with the power supply. The least he can do is send you the power supply which is stated in his listing as being included. Have you contacted him about this? He has 100% positive feedback so I suspect he'll want to keep that rating.

I've hardly ever bought any used electronics on ebay that was in perfect condition. An exception is my most recent purchase...a Topward Instruments dual-tracking DC power supply for fixing my transistor radios. I'd never heard of Topward Electric Instruments Co. LTD but it turned out to be a beauty.

Dave

The seller did mention "rotating the batteries", which I did, and tried pulling them and reinserting several times.

I was happy (at first) to see the battery contacts looked brand new, which is extremely rare in radios this old, in my experience.

Had the seller sent the power cord, and had it worked, I would have kept the radio.

There is, however, a time frame for returning items, and no guarantee that the seller would get the cord to me in the time frame needed to test it.

I loved the look, feel, and performance potential of the radio.

Don't see any others there, either.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 16, 2020 5:34 pm 

You've returned the radio because you cannot fix it... :shock:

fyi... many mid 1960s radios will have issues.
It seems to me that you are looking for perfect vintage working radios.

Why don't you learn to fix them, it's not rocket science. A bunch of components and wires with service information available for most.

There are many books and on-line videos explaining how to fix transistor radios.
A couple of hours of study. lol

Greg.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 16, 2020 6:05 pm 

Dalton wrote:
Dave Doughty wrote:

Dave

The seller did mention "rotating the batteries", which I did, and tried pulling them and reinserting several times.

I was happy (at first) to see the battery contacts looked brand new, which is extremely rare in radios this old, in my experience.

Had the seller sent the power cord, and had it worked, I would have kept the radio.

There is, however, a time frame for returning items, and no guarantee that the seller would get the cord to me in the time frame needed to test it.

With respects, little buddy, I think you're crazy to send it back; look at your last two sentences.

If you paid via PayPal, they offer a 180 day purchase protection.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 16, 2020 8:15 pm 

egg wrote:
You've returned the radio because you cannot fix it... :shock:

fyi... many mid 1960s radios will have issues.
It seems to me that you are looking for perfect vintage working radios.

Why don't you learn to fix them, it's not rocket science. A bunch of components and wires with service information available for most.

There are many books and on-line videos explaining how to fix transistor radios.
A couple of hours of study. lol

Greg.

Thanks, Greg.

It was, as I mentioned, described as ""working condition".

I get your point, though.

I went to electronics school in the 90's, excellent 1 year full time program, based on Army singintel school curriculum.

That was 23 years ago, in between then and now, life happened, and is still happening.

I hope to have the chance to pick up the iron again soon.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 16, 2020 8:23 pm 

fifties wrote:
Dalton wrote:
Dave Doughty wrote:

Dave

With respects, little buddy, I think you're crazy to send it back; look at your last two sentences.

If you paid via PayPal, they offer a 180 day purchase protection.

Thanks, Dave.

I think I was looking at the time limits for asking ebay to step in to help, I may have gotten it wrong.

I did purchase 2 non working Motorolas (a seperate thread), they are late 50's and make beautiful display models.

I don't complain about a radio not working unless I bought it advertised as working.

I have a few other projects going, one of which is a Califone 1925 professional dance studio/square dance record player with a pair of huge matching speakers.

I don't remember much of what I learned in elint school, there were some rough times in between, but I never lost my love of radio and related items.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 17, 2020 12:44 pm 

Just to clarify, I wasn't the member who scolded you for sending it back. (Triple quotes can be confusing.)

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Wed 19, 2020 2:47 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Just to clarify, I wasn't the member who scolded you for sending it back. (Triple quotes can be confusing.)

Dave

LOL

Thanks, Dave!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 07, 2020 8:15 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
I once had a 3-band version that was labeled "Long Range TRF" like in the first picture. It had a 3-gang tuning cap for AM and SW (but not for FM). It was an excellent performer, as I recall.

Dave

Going back for seconds!
Seller told me it is working now, and I can return again if any problem.

Also said he will remember power cord this time!

:D

PostPosted: Sep Mon 07, 2020 9:55 pm 

I saw that today---said power jack had been repaired...

John

PostPosted: Sep Mon 07, 2020 10:13 pm 

your neck would be safe.
never saw transistor count bs in ge sets.
not even parallel push pull audio.
the high count sets gave better performance at increased cost.
35Z5 wrote:
Dalton wrote:
egg wrote:

Very cool ad!

The G E. is a 14 transistor.

How many of them actually do anything is another issue.

] :D

Thanks!

I'll stick my neck out and say chances GE loaded any set with blanks is zero & none.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 08, 2020 2:07 am 

dealer price sheet

Attachments:
P1930A 006.jpg
P1930A 006.jpg [ 639.64 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 08, 2020 2:10 am 

brochure photo

Attachments:
P1930A.jpg
P1930A.jpg [ 574.02 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 08, 2020 3:38 am 

Got a P-780 last week that looks and plays like new out of the box.

Very impressed, I read the ad, this seems like a very sweet radio indeed!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 50 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next