Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 25, 2020 5:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aiwa AR-145 break in
PostPosted: Sep Sat 05, 2020 2:54 am 

I really want to get in the old radio, clean the contacts, check tuner string rollers, etc. and just take a look but I think the only thing stopping me is this "seal". Anybody have any ideas of how to get past this factory seal? I think it's just 2 screws and this seal and I'm in. This is a good solid old radio, I like it so far, good reception. I want to clean it up, mid 1960's.

Post subject: Re: Aiwa AR-145 break in
PostPosted: Sep Sat 05, 2020 4:31 am 

I would use Channel locks or an adjustable wrench, grasp the 6 sided shaft and rotate it counterclockwise.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 05, 2020 5:01 am 

fifties wrote:
I would use Channel locks or an adjustable wrench, grasp the 6 sided shaft and rotate it counterclockwise.

I was trying that earlier but as it loosens on one screw, it would tighten on the other. I was about to pull a Homer and just force it but I backed off. I decided to try and pry it off with a needle pin, it worked, haha, so easy. One of those rare moments when it actually is easier than it looks. I'm getting into old radios more. I have around 100 vintage receivers but getting more into the vintage table radios/clock radios.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 05, 2020 11:58 am 

"Factory Sealed for Your Protection".....a classic example of a bit of modern wisdom: Warranties are written to protect the seller, not the buyer.

That widget could have had a different label: "We're discouraging you from trying to do anything inside this set. We don't want you suing us if you wind up damaging the set---or yourself."

But all those words would not fit.......;)