Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 8:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: To re-cap, or not to re-cap?
PostPosted: Aug Fri 27, 2021 12:54 pm 

Well since that was 7 months ago, I would be curious to see how they turned out. Finding small axial lead replacements might be harder these days. And is there a great importance to taking the time to recap a radio that sets on a shelf or goes back in a drawer that is not played regularly anyway?

PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 3:31 am 

wazz wrote:
is there a great importance to taking the time to recap a radio that sets on a shelf or goes back in a drawer that is not played regularly anyway?

That would be strictly a personal decision. As for me, all of my tube sets have been recapped, as well as most, but not all of the Transistor radios. For a battery only operated set, there normally wouldn't be any danger if an Electrolytic shorted. I just wouldn't take the chance on an AC powered tube set beyond an AA5 circuit.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 8:44 am 

I consider recapping a necessary maintenance task to keep old electronics in working condition (speaking about functional unit and not a museum exhibition piece) and hence never feel bad about replacing all the paper and electrolytic caps as soon as there's the slightest suspicion of any of them gone bad.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 7:26 am 

fifties wrote:
wazz wrote:
For a battery only operated set, there normally wouldn't be any danger if an Electrolytic shorted.

Yes, but they leak successfully and damage boards and tracks. I always change.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 11:08 am 

US7IGN wrote:
Almost all Soviet electrolytic capacitors were of disgusting quality and did not perform well even when new. All must be replaced at once.

I don't know where you got that information, or came to the conclusion that it was a reasonable observation.

One advantage I have living in the Antipodes is that I have been exposed to components made in practically every country, USA, England, Germany, elsewhere in Europe, Japan, China and our own home grown parts too.I also have some vintage Soviet equipment and have had the opportunity to study their aging parts.

Since the Iron Curtain lifted and many sellers in the once "Soviet Union" had access to ebay, and started selling their parts, I have had access to them for use & testing.

I have some very bad news for you if you are not fond of Soviet parts. Their electronic parts are mainly of very good quality, especially their capacitors, resistors and other components. I have used many of them over the last 20 years in construction projects. Their mil-spec PIO capacitors and rectifiers are particularly good and although it may horrify you, better in many cases than USA made parts, but not always, but at least similar.

The electronics parts, of all kinds, which are the hardest to beat, are not made in the USSR, or the USA, or Europe in general, but are made in Japan.

For example, the World's best electrolytic caps are made in Japan. For most of the repair work I do I use the 125 deg C rated Nichicon types now (made in Kyoto Japan), which are pretty well impossible to beat. This way I won't likely have to replace them again.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:43 pm 

I didn't mean mil-spec PIO capacitors. I talked about household appliances and the electrolytic capacitor in it. There is an excellent article about them (in Russian, but you can try an online translator) https://lurkmore.to/%D0%A0%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8E%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C#.D0.90.D1.80.D0.BC.D1.8F.D0.BD.D1.81.D0.BA.D0.B8.D0.B5_.D1.8D.D0.BB.D0.B5.D0.BA.D1.82.D1.80.D0.BE.D0.BB.D0.B8.D1.82.D1.8B

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 4:44 pm 

US7IGN wrote:
I didn't mean mil-spec PIO capacitors. I talked about household appliances and the electrolytic capacitor in it. There is an excellent article about them (in Russian, but you can try an online translator) https://lurkmore.to/%D0%A0%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8E%D0%B1%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C#.D0.90.D1.80.D0.BC.D1.8F.D0.BD.D1.81.D0.BA.D0.B8.D0.B5_.D1.8D.D0.BB.D0.B5.D0.BA.D1.82.D1.80.D0.BE.D0.BB.D0.B8.D1.82.D1.8B

One thing is certain, the expectations of the performance and longevity of the electrolytic capacitor is mostly disproportional to what the parts can actually deliver. Especially since many were initially rated at 1000hrs use and that degrades with temperature. At least some of the modern versions are spec'd to 10,000 hrs and 125 Deg C which is better, but still nowhere near as good as film or oil capacitors. For transistor work, we are stuck with the electrolytics (or Tants). At least in tube gear restorations & repairs many electrolytics can be eliminated by using film capacitors and avoid the cycle of replacements. In some transistor amps, radios & TV's its possible to subs in film caps in the less than 5uF range, if there is physical room.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2