Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 8:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Remember your first solid-state radio?
PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 7:54 pm 

This topic will probably only be of interest to us "older guys":

I will never forget the first solid-state radio I ever operated. I was 8 years old when my dad bought a new 1963 Ford Galaxie sedan. It had a solid-state AM radio. We had a TV and several radios at home but all were tubed, and my dad's previous car also had a tubed radio. I will always remember how amazed I was when the radio in that car received almost instantly on turn-on. No warm-up time!

Perhaps others have similar memories?

Post subject: Re: Remember your first solid-state radio?
PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 8:03 pm 

Mine was a 2 transistor Regen, using CK722, circa '55. It was a science club project. Great things these tiny little transistors, you only need one battery.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 8:20 pm 

First one I recall was an white Emerson model 888 that my grandpa won in a raffle and gave to us. We grand kids all used and abused that one for many years. In the end it had a cracked case and wear marks everywhere but still worked well.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 8:22 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
In 1969 my Gr-Uncle, the man who raised my mother, gave my sister and I each a transistor radio. He was a man way ahead of his time and knew that even pre-teens need to hear the world outside their neighbourhood. It was the first radio I owned. Some very few years later my Aunt Jean gave me "the worlds smallest radio", a Clairtone that used watch batteries and a crystal earphone. I also have not only the radio, but the box it came in. My Aunt Jean (my Mom's sister) was one of the most intelligent people I knew and she instinctively knew what made people tick and her listening skills were second to none. She was a R.C. nun from late teens into her fourties, then left and married an impoverished doctor, spent the next years teaching remote communities while he doctored. He died and she moved in with a gentle giant of a Jamaican man, a London England educated civil engineer who worked on the Panama Canal during WW2. They eventually married before he passed away at one day short of 100. He also loved to listen to SW radio and could discuss anything.

When I see these radios I remember these people.

My sister no longer has her first radio, but I have mine and this is not it, but is identical to these photos:

Koyo Model Six :

Attachment:
Koyo-6_1.jpg
Koyo-6_1.jpg [ 70.34 KiB | Viewed 4313 times ]

Attachment:
Koyo-6_2.jpg
Koyo-6_2.jpg [ 57.83 KiB | Viewed 4313 times ]

Attachment:
Koyo-6_3jpg.jpg
Koyo-6_3jpg.jpg [ 29.6 KiB | Viewed 4313 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 9:59 pm 

We had my dads Leather cased philco which is somewhere in the old house my brother lives in now. It was called, I think T7 model cause it had 7 transistors. It ran on 2 D cells that were inserted with the + together, in which there was a tap off from there.

But my first personal radio was a 1 Transistor Remco radio Kit that a friend sold me for about 50 cents. He couldn't get it to work well, and all I did was reverse the detector diode. It had a headphone, but no volume control. So when I had a loud local station, I would set the headphone on a pillow and listen next to it. I still have the direction book to it, but I have no clue as to the radios Fate. Maybe still around. Anyway, That was mine until I got my free HY-Lite transistor radio from Joining the Columbia Record Club.

John

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 10:08 pm 

It was an Eico RA-6 that I built from a kit at age 15 in 1960, purchased with money that I made mowing neighbors' lawns. The radio on the left is my well-used, much loved original. The one on the right is a seemingly never used ebay purchase.

Attachment:
Eico RA-6.jpg
Eico RA-6.jpg [ 75.94 KiB | Viewed 4278 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 10:24 pm 

This was under the Christmas tree in 1966. I still have it, but the speaker is open. It's rated at something like 50 ohms, so it's hard to find a replacement.

Attachments:
1966Philco.jpg
1966Philco.jpg [ 81.01 KiB | Viewed 4270 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 10:31 pm 

hardluck54 wrote:
It was called, I think T7 model cause it had 7 transistors. It ran on 2 D cells that were inserted with the + together, in which there was a tap off from there.
John - are you sure about that? Maybe the + ends were inserted in the same direction but on separate terminals which put the two cells in series with a connecting wire.

Attachment:
Philco T-7 .jpg
Philco T-7 .jpg [ 96 KiB | Viewed 4268 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 11:25 pm 

SkyKing wrote:
This was under the Christmas tree in 1966. I still have it, but the speaker is open. It's rated at something like 50 ohms, so it's hard to find a replacement.

You probably don't want to do this to a personal memento, but a high voltage shock across the speaker coil might repair it. I wouldn't do it with something personal, but maybe if you come across a replacement 50 ohm speaker that's also open.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 11:35 pm 

Quote:
Post subject: Remember your first solid-state radio?
NO!!---but it is quite likely that it was part of my first VW---a '61 beetle.

The only time i remember buying a standalone S/S radio was from Radio Shack---I still have it

PostPosted: Feb Sun 28, 2021 11:38 pm 

Grans got me a little pocket Arvin model of ca. 1968. I have no idea what model it was anymore. But I used the earplug and listened to music on CKLW in bed, with it.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 12:27 am 

Poston Drake wrote:
This topic will probably only be of interest to us "older guys":

I will never forget the first solid-state radio I ever operated. I was 8 years old when my dad bought a new 1963 Ford Galaxie sedan. It had a solid-state AM radio. We had a TV and several radios at home but all were tubed, and my dad's previous car also had a tubed radio. I will always remember how amazed I was when the radio in that car received almost instantly on turn-on. No warm-up time!

Perhaps others have similar memories?

Pop bought a year old '63 Ford when I was 14, but I'd gotten a Realtone TR-8611 couple years prior. A couple years later he swapped the '63 with a friend for his '63Ā½ Galaxie Fastback. Radio in it would not play when cold, osc transistor was defective.

For most part '63 was first year for all solid state car radios, yes were a couple exceptions but '61 VW was not amongst that group. Between '57 & '63 most had transistor output with tubes for small signal.

EDIT

BWAAAMMMMP.... Wrong!

The 1960 & 1961 Bendix mfg'd Sapphire I were amongst some of 1st transistor radios.

Last edited by 35Z5 on Mar Mon 01, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 1:06 am 

Some of those old VWs had a vibrator radio, made by Automatic. I used to have one; it was one of the first sets which I got working, as a kid.

I had one of those one transistor Remcos, but my first real transistorized radio was a Hitachi TH-627R that I got as a Christmas present from my Grandfather in 1961; I still have it. Listened to a lot of rock and roll on it, while I was supposed to be sleeping!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 1:26 am 

I don't remember the brand, but it was around 1969, and was a pocket type. Don't even remember if it was 9v or not. Probably Christmas or my birthday.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 1:38 am 

I've heard that solid state has been on the way for awhile now, but I'll believe it when I see it.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 1:53 am 

My first solid-state radio was a pocket-size Magnavox AM80. My parents gave it to me as a gift on my 12th birthday. It cost them 10 books of "Top Value" trading stamps.

That ol' eight-transistor Magnavox used a cylindrical 9-volt battery; Eveready 216 as I recall. I spent hundreds of hours listening to Arnie Ginsberg's "Night Train Show" on WMEX in Boston. Good times!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 4:13 am 

I built my first radio in 1956, when the cost of CK722's finally dropped below two bucks; I think I paid $1.25 or so for it. The circuit called for an earphone that was supposed to act as a speaker, but it was never really that loud. I dressed the cabinet up with a decal. The set did get a number of local stations, with the antenna wire clipped to a metal railing.

Attachments:
First Transistor set.jpg
First Transistor set.jpg [ 444.12 KiB | Viewed 4183 times ]
First Transistor set inside.jpg
First Transistor set inside.jpg [ 499.95 KiB | Viewed 4183 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 4:39 am 

SkyKing wrote:

I have one almost exactly like that, undoubtedly from the same manufacturer, but labelled Westinghouse instead of Philco. This was the first radio I used extensively myself, being a life-long insomniac, when I was a kid awake at 3 in the morning, I snuck this radio out of the A-bomb emergency kit and listened to local radio stations with the earphone. I found it in my Dad's stuff when he died, I recapped it, but it also needs a new volume control pot. I also have that, but have not gone to the effort to fix it yet.

There was an earlier radio in the a-bomb kit, but I don't recall what it was, other than we used it huddled in the basement in Kansas waiting for the tornado to hit.

Brett

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 4:44 am 
Site Admin

I saved up and bought a Sony transistor radio in the late 1960s; I think it was this one. I remember the leatherette case and the thumbwheel station selector. Mine was red and had a tinny sound to it.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.41.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.41.42 AM.png [ 430.45 KiB | Viewed 4170 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 4:49 am 

My very first transistor radio was a Remco single transistor set from around 1955 or so. I never heard a single station on because I was too young to understand that it needed an outside antenna. I saw one on eBay a few years back but missed out on it.

My first "real" transistor radio was a 1958 Lafayette six-transistor set. I was disappointed by the short battery life (this was well before alkalines) so I made up a pack of 6 C-cells. That worked OK of course, but kind of defeated the pocket radio idea. The next mod was to reduce the size of all the emitter resistors so it could run from two AA cells. This worked kind of OK but reduced speaker volume. After that it kind of fell by the wayside.

RRM

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 66 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next