Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 4:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remember your first solid-state radio?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 6:09 am 

My Dad was an engineer at Delco Radio in Kokomo, IN and the first "solid-state" radio in our house was a special GM employee's version of the '59 Buick "Auto-Portable" that Dad bought shortly before I came around. Remember being fascinated as a child when he pulled the side cover to replace the batteries. He finally gave me that radio to keep several years ago and I refurbished it for collection.

When Dad left Mom in 1966 I was six years old and we moved to another house she could afford on her own. The previous owners left a "worktable" in my bedroom made from an old hollow-core door which became my bench. Dad brought me a new 1966 Chevy push-button AM radio from Delco salvage along with an antenna, speaker, and home-made power supply. This was my first "solid-state" radio ! Eventually tore-up the power-supply to the point of even breaking open the large wet electrolytic caps to see what was inside and unrolling the foil and dielectric. Traded the radio to another Delco guy around the corner who had become a friend for some other parts to play with and Mom most likely threw away the speaker and antenna during one of her "seek & discard" missions... Many years later, visited that friend as an adult and asked about the radio---he still had it in his junkbox and gave it back to me ! Tossed it in my junk stash where it spent many more years and sustained a bit of damage. Finally decided to restore it and build a cabinet for bench-top use. See my 2014 project thread if interested in more detail and pics: https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 4&t=256613 It still sits on bench and works great---a lot of memories !

John

Attachments:
arf Delco 59 ang.jpg
arf Delco 59 ang.jpg [ 369.9 KiB | Viewed 2359 times ]
ARF 66 CHEVY RADIO IN CAB  4-30-2016.jpg
ARF 66 CHEVY RADIO IN CAB 4-30-2016.jpg [ 258.38 KiB | Viewed 2359 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 2:28 pm 

For me, it was a '63 Galaxie 8 Transistor, I think it was a Christmas present. It's the first transistor radio I remember seeing or using. This is not the same radio, my original wound up lost in parts unknown over the sands of time. I bought this one on the 'bay.

download/file.php?id=333020&mode=view

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 5:54 pm 

pixellany wrote:
Quote:
Post subject: Remember your first solid-state radio?
NO!!---but it is quite likely that it was part of my first VW---a '61 beetle.

I'll edit my prev post, but yes the 1960 & '61 Sapphire I, 0BV & 1BV(Bendix) radios were six transistor. Interestingly those are also first VW radios covered by Sams, nothing at all from '50s.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 6:00 pm 

My mother bought me a Radio Shack 12-603 for Christmas in 1969. That one is long gone, but I bought a nice example a few years ago. I have a photo of me holding it and some other items taken on Christmas Day in 1969.

Attachments:
20210301_085832.jpg
20210301_085832.jpg [ 657.38 KiB | Viewed 2341 times ]

Last edited by FStephenMasek on Aug Wed 18, 2021 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 01, 2021 7:45 pm 

35Z5 wrote:
pixellany wrote:
Quote:

I'll edit my prev post, but yes the 1960 & '61 Sapphire I, 0BV & 1BV(Bendix) radios were six transistor. Interestingly those are also first VW radios covered by Sams, nothing at all from '50s.

After the invention of the transistor, it took a few years to learn how to make them do anything useful.

Circa 1958, I had a book about transistors---I have no idea how I got it---or where it went----but I probably should have read it

PostPosted: Mar Tue 02, 2021 1:00 am 

Tim Tress wrote:
Some of those old VWs had a vibrator radio, made by Automatic. I used to have one; it was one of the first sets which I got working, as a kid.

I had one of those one transistor Remcos, but my first real transistorized radio was a Hitachi TH-627R that I got as a Christmas present from my Grandfather in 1961; I still have it. Listened to a lot of rock and roll on it, while I was supposed to be sleeping!

I found listing for the early VW viberator radios, are probably 30 other models covered by same info. Looked up Automatic Radio in 1st edition of AR 16, fit is broken down in those early manuals.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 02, 2021 2:37 am 

35Z5 wrote:
Poston Drake wrote:
This topic will probably only be of interest to us "older guys":

I will never forget the first solid-state radio I ever operated. I was 8 years old when my dad bought a new 1963 Ford Galaxie sedan. It had a solid-state AM radio. We had a TV and several radios at home but all were tubed, and my dad's previous car also had a tubed radio. I will always remember how amazed I was when the radio in that car received almost instantly on turn-on. No warm-up time!

Perhaps others have similar memories?

Pop bought a year old '63 Ford when I was 14, but I'd gotten a Realtone TR-8611 couple years prior. A couple years later he swapped the '63 with a friend for his '63Ā½ Galaxie Fastback...For most part '63 was first year for all solid state car radios...

Hi Tom,
Something I still remember about that solid-state AM radio in my dad's 1963 Ford Galaxie, on initial turn-on you heard that distinctive low-pitch "thump" for a split second before the audio. Remember that?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 02, 2021 3:12 am 

Poston Drake wrote:
Hi Tom,
Something I still remember about that solid-state AM radio in my dad's 1963 Ford Galaxie, on initial turn-on you heard that distinctive low-pitch "thump" for a split second before the audio. Remember that?

Yep, sudden rush of current through output transformer. On bench could see the cone jump at turn on. I bought a '64 that had same thump. A few months after purchase it's radio lost the RF amp, quit while I was at Nags Head NC. At approx 35 miles from nearest 1000 watter, it would receive nothing. In town signal constantly faded, robbed one from a transistor radio. Eventually swapped original & a few $$ for a factory AM/FM.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 02, 2021 3:27 am 

Hey Dave D.
I found a picture of it on Ebay. it was a T-7-126 Philco
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203265252803?c ... a8a25678d8

That is it exactly, Right down to the leather case! I think they were germanium transistors in it.
If I remember, the thumb wheel volume knob broke and some wires needed fixing. My brother "tweaked" it as kids. But if I can find it, the tools are around to fix it. Its in the attic.
You may be right. I'm going to have find that radio. I just checked all of them on Ebay, and none had the contact strip in the middle, as I described, and they look like the schematic you showed me. I could swear the plus on both batteries faced each other with a strip between them and a wire running from it. I remember putting one battery in and hearing static. i wondered if they were paralled with a tap.
You got me curious now.

Retired Radio Man. You started with the same Remco kit I acquired. The book I still have, and it really lets you know how important radio men were. It was a good teaching tool. But i did have an outdoor antenna, and it worked pretty good.
Too bad you didn't know. But at least you built it.!!

John

PostPosted: Mar Wed 03, 2021 10:28 pm 

My very first solid state radio was a crystal set with one transistor amplification stage that I built when I was around 9 years old. My first "real" radio was a Toshiba MW/SW model 8TL-463 portable that I got in the early '60s. An uncle brought it home to England from overseas (he worked in the middle east for an American oil company, Santa Fe Drilling).

PostPosted: Mar Sun 21, 2021 2:23 am 

My first solid state radio was a "Peerless" AM transistor radio from about 1967-1968. I vaguely recall that it had a white plastic case with a separate gray plastic front that covered the speaker and contained an opening for the tuning dial numbers. It had a series of small circles molded into the grey plastic grill but no fancy chrome or painted details. It was definitely made a few years after the most collectable transistor radios but still had a nice appearance for what it was. I can't honestly remember who gave me the radio as a gift.

I just looked on e-bay and there is one exactly like it for sale. It makes me feel good that I remembered most of the details correctly over 50 years later. It was my constant companion. I usually had it tuned to WOKY, which was Milwaukee's local AM top 40 station.

Perhaps 2-3 years later, I remember joining my dad to pick out a new clock radio for my mom at one of the department stores in downtown Milwaukee. We decided on one of the GE micro sized clock radios with a brown woodgrain case and a standard clock with hands. It would have been either a Mother's Day or birthday present most likely in the spring or summer of 1970. That was my family's second solid state radio other than the one in our Ford Mustang. And, unlike my Peerless, it had FM. That opened up a whole new world of radio for my family.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 21, 2021 4:10 am 

I took some of my first lawn mowing money and ran down to the Shack for this. Used to carry it around in my back pocket in Jr High School. Capacitors replaced about 5 years ago, still have it today and it still works!

EDIT: I'll have you know that I had to mow a "lawn-and-a-half" to get the money for this! That might have taken a couple of hours! :lol:

Attachments:
20160205 12-1290 Realistic Solid State 6 AM Transistor Radio.JPG
20160205 12-1290 Realistic Solid State 6 AM Transistor Radio.JPG [ 460.21 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]
12-1290 in 1969 catalog.jpg
12-1290 in 1969 catalog.jpg [ 327 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]

Last edited by Blast on Apr Tue 06, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 21, 2021 3:21 pm 

My Grandfather gave me (and each of my 3 brothers) one of these Wards Airline GEN-1240A in the early 60s. This one is the actual one he gave me. Once I started restoring radios I decided to make this one work again. It's had a pretty rough life but does work again. I've always been a Yankees fan and can remember trying to find the Yankees World Series games on it as a kid...at the time I was living in a suburb of Omaha and that was not an easy task in those days lol. I have since found several on eBay and picked them up to restore and give to my brothers.

Rich

Attachments:
complete_001_r.jpg
complete_001_r.jpg [ 395.1 KiB | Viewed 2144 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 22, 2021 12:02 am 

Model TR-622 - My parents bought this for me in 1960 when I was six y/o. At bedtime, I'd "rock out" with it under my pillow, listening to the Drifters. I still have it, although it is not working and now has some small cracks on the reverse painted section above.

Attachments:
348f603cde4516e335189128b23d5cbd.jpg
348f603cde4516e335189128b23d5cbd.jpg [ 411.75 KiB | Viewed 2128 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 22, 2021 12:48 am 

35Z5 wrote:
pixellany wrote:
Quote:

The VW Bendix Sapphire radios in 1960 were the first offered by VWoA as a dealer-installed option.

There were many Motorola, Blaupunkt, Automatic and others for the VWs before that.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 23, 2021 12:42 am 

Talk about Irony.
In another post on this forum, I just asked a trimmer question for trying to repair my first Transistor radio!
I brought it home from our old house Saturday where my brother still lives and we have lot of "stuff" of ours. It's a HY-Lite
pocket radio I got free for joining the Columbia record club in 1968.

As stated earlier, I had a Remco Radiocraft 1 transistor, until this came along.

John

PostPosted: Mar Tue 23, 2021 1:29 am 

fifties wrote:
I built my first radio in 1956, when the cost of CK722's finally dropped below two bucks; I think I paid $1.25 or so for it. The circuit called for an earphone that was supposed to act as a speaker, but it was never really that loud. I dressed the cabinet up with a decal. The set did get a number of local stations, with the antenna wire clipped to a metal railing.

That was similar to mine. My first CK722 cost $2.40. It only lasted a few months and
I got another for $1.80.

Then I got a sort of plug-in kit that you could make several things with. It had a new-fangled transistor that
would actually amplify nicely at the top of the broadcast band. The CK722 then
went into a one-transistor metronome I made in a nice metal box. I used that for timing
my viola playing. It lasted for decades. It ticked.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 24, 2021 1:51 am 

For Christmas in 1959
a Toshiba 3TP-315 Earphone only. Three transistors.

Broke the earphone wires playing hoops with my brother.
So I got a cardboard box and fit a 4" PM speaker with Audio Transformer, and it worked great. :D

PostPosted: Apr Tue 06, 2021 3:41 am 

My very first transistor radio was a japanese ALIC my father offered me around 1964-65. I'm sure about the brand but from what I can remember (I was 4 years old !) it was a 2 transistors radio (as written on the front) and had a (small) speaker which seems technically unlikely... I can't find any pictures or info about it, but if anyone here knows more please feel free to post.
My second one was quite an upgrade: a 6 transistors set... but I can't remember anything else about it...

PostPosted: Apr Wed 07, 2021 4:53 pm 

My first was a Zenith Royal 700. My grandmother bought it for me so I could listen to the Red Sox games. in 1960. We lived in Ct and listened to the games on WTIC from Hartford. Listening to it right now (KTUC Tucson AZ)

Attachments:
thumbnail_20210407_085054.jpg
thumbnail_20210407_085054.jpg [ 477.94 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 66 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next