Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 27, 2021 7:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gosh, no one told me this hobby was so addictive!!
PostPosted: Jul Sat 31, 2021 6:48 pm 

What started out as a post lockdown winter project, Turned into a fun and interesting hobby. I always had an interest in electronics I used to want to go to thrift stores and buy old clock radios, I was fascinated by all the components inside. Imagine my amazement went I listed it on eBay and I made some cash!

During the winter of '20, I bought a little channel master set off eBay as a project to keep me busy I only owned a few hand tools and a cheap soldering iron at the time but I knew at least it needed a recap, so I bought a little recap kit off eBay and was very disappointed when It didn't work. But I found this forum and was very glad that I could ask the questions I needed, It ended up as a ten-page thread but The info on it was priceless.

At the time I didn't know what a transistor was and I called capacitors "capacitaters" but I got a kick out of seeing these old relics work again. I also enjoyed learning a new skill.

Fast forward to today, I belong to multiple radio clubs, Know how these circuits work as well as how to troubleshoot them. I used to work on an old picnic table and now I've upgraded to a homemade workbench, I have plenty of scrap boards and parts. I have also met some very nice people in this hobby, it has truly been an amazing experience.

I am going to get my HAM license this fall, I am also working on building a site that includes a collecting/restoring page with a blog that shows what I'm up to. It's still in progress but I will post a link when ready.

Anyways, Below is a picture of the collection most are restored and working some are going to get restored or are just for display. The channel master and 500H aren't mine, I am restoring them electrically for a collector friend. Some of them I may have to sell soon as I don't have unlimited $$ for radios. It was difficult as I have radios all over the shop and some are disassembled like the 500E which is missing its knob. Also pictures of my workbench, cleaning supplies, parts, etc.

I would love to hear your comments, thanks for helping me out and taking the time to answer my questions. I am hoping I can pass the knowledge on.

Regards,

Henry

Attachments:
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG [ 759.96 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]
IMG_2485.JPG
IMG_2485.JPG [ 764.85 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]
IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG [ 668.45 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]
IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG [ 771.58 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]
IMG_2483.JPG
IMG_2483.JPG [ 815.87 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]
IMG_2484.JPG
IMG_2484.JPG [ 779.01 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]

Last edited by whfh99 on Aug Sun 01, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Got Transistor Radio Collections? New Finds? Let's See
PostPosted: Jul Sat 31, 2021 9:49 pm 

Looks great, Henry! Yes, it can be a fun and interesting hobby (and keeps us off the streets, LOL!).

PostPosted: Jul Sat 31, 2021 11:23 pm 

Hey Henry,

Is your shop in an old barn ??? Looks interesting in the background... PLENTY of space for radios !

I've had my Ham license for many years, but rarely use it. Like to be doing something constructive in my spare time and feel like I'm wasting it making small talk on the air---probably would be different if I knew someone within range who shared this hobby so we could exchange ideas periodically...

John

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 12:29 am 

fifties wrote:
Looks great, Henry! Yes, it can be a fun and interesting hobby (and keeps us off the streets, LOL!).

Thanks, I have tube sets as well and I also have a small collection of 60s era American-made electric clocks.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 12:48 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Hey Henry,

Is your shop in an old barn ??? Looks interesting in the background... PLENTY of space for radios !

I've had my Ham license for many years, but rarely use it. Like to be doing something constructive in my spare time and feel like I'm wasting it making small talk on the air---probably would be different if I knew someone within range who shared this hobby so we could exchange ideas periodically...

John

Yep, the shop is a 60 x 30 barn with a metal roof. it used to be a cow barn many moons ago. there are multiple floors. I can't tell you how cool it is and how lucky I am to have it. Plenty of space for radios. Since the metal roof blocks out most of the AM signal I had to put up an antenna. Though there are bats, my workbench is protected by the 2nd-floor overhang but everything else gets crapped on...

Do you have your tech license? I am hoping to get my general, I got into ham because I am learning CW (morse code). But I would love to talk sometime, do you have a receiver?

Henry

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 3:49 am 

Sounds like a neat place except for the bat crap !

Yes, just have had my Tech license for 25 years. Have a Kenwood TS-50 and old Heath HW-24HT 2M/70CM dual-band handheld. Never had the patience nor "mentality" for code even though I had a couple code practice oscillators as a kid...

John

Post subject: Re: Gosh, no one told me this hobby was so addictive!!
PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 10:12 pm 

Of course it's not addictive! I could give up any time I wanted.....just not this week.... :roll:

PostPosted: Aug Sun 01, 2021 10:38 pm 

majoco wrote:
Of course it's not addictive! I could give up any time I wanted.....just not this week.... :roll:

Nor since the '50's, Marty? (said the pot to the kettle). :wink:

PostPosted: Aug Mon 02, 2021 9:18 pm 

Yup - here I am age about 11 with my Dad playing with my Christmas present......

Attachment:
R1475 Martin & Dad sml.jpg
R1475 Martin & Dad sml.jpg [ 186.12 KiB | Viewed 1897 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Mon 02, 2021 9:58 pm 

Good pic with your Dad, Marty !

John

PostPosted: Aug Sun 08, 2021 1:45 am 

You are hooked now! Just wait until you discover tube radios, vintage audio gear, and boatanchors; you will fill that barn.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 11:51 am 

I just read your story and I take my hat off to you!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 3:30 am 

There is no turning back now.

:lol: