Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 7:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco T9-126 acquired today. Common problems?
PostPosted: Aug Sun 15, 2021 6:05 pm 

Found this Philco at the local, Medina, flea market today. Looks complete and unmolested except for the manual. Would appreciate any pointers, pitfalls encountered when reviving one of these. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Philco T9-126 acquired today. Common problems?
PostPosted: Aug Sun 15, 2021 8:09 pm 

Here is a prior posting about the Philco T9-126:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=243561

PostPosted: Aug Mon 16, 2021 3:49 pm 

I bought one at Kutztown several years ago. It had a reprint of the manual and needed switches cleaned, battery terminals were very bad but cleaned up fine and the Band Indicator re-strung. This radio works very well is a pleasure to tune and is my Daily Driver. I used Sunbeam zinc-carbon in it 4 years ago and it is still strong.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 3:56 am 

Thanks everyone. Billk: Was removing the chassis from the cabinet straightforward? What did you use to clean the contacts? I cleaned the battery contacts and with 6 D cells installed the radio came to life BUT went into oscillation when a medium to strong signal was tuned. There are two "Nashville" electrolytic that are visible when the back is opened. I jumped one with a good capacitor and the oscillation disappeared. A rare bit of dumb luck as I have no schematic yet. The band switches are noisy as is the tuning cap so removing the chassis is the next move. Even now it is a sensitive/selective radio with robust sound.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 5:29 am 

12-page service manual attached below.
fyi... Sams rarely if ever included disassembly instructions.

Attachments:
Philco-T-9.jpg
Philco-T-9.jpg [ 451.17 KiB | Viewed 1027 times ]
SAMS 429-10.pdf [8.59 MiB]
Downloaded 30 times

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 2:05 pm 

It was several years since I fixed this set. It was not obvious how to take apart. I used Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner which looks like Blue Stuff [a professional grade TV Tuner cleaner] .It has worked for 5 years. I prefer the flywheel tuning of this set over most of the older sets. Thank you for the Sams I only have a copy of the Philco Manual.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 4:54 pm 

egg - You continue to astound! Thank you for the Sams. C4 is the cap I jumped that miraculously stabilized the oscillator on strong frequencies. I'll report progress.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 8:31 pm 

GSD, am looking forward to reading your progress reports and hopefully seeing some pictures once radio disassembled. Have passed a couple of these by over the years due to lack of room, but still interested...

John

PostPosted: Aug Mon 23, 2021 3:49 am 

Well now, the chassis is liberated and it was easy: 4 bolts removed from the bottom followed by two screws removed from the top corners and removing the antenna allowed the chassis to slip out FROM THE FRONT. Everything is attached including speaker and knobs. I took some photos using my phone so I'll have to figure out how to get them here. Chassis is clean but the band switches are noise and tuning cap a bit noisy as well. I'll update soon.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 12:19 am 

Some photos. I hope: I seldom post photos so each instance is essentially a brand new experience. Assuming this works if you look carefully in the upper right hand corner of the chassis rear view you will see a Philipps screw that detaches the top from the case. One the left is not visible but in the same position. Four screws in the bottom and disconnecting the telescoping antenna pull the chassis forward and game over. Trying to solve the scratch tuning and band switch operation but no luck so far with air blast followed by q-tip application of Deoxit to the band switches.

Attachments:
IMG_0983.jpeg
IMG_0983.jpeg [ 850.47 KiB | Viewed 899 times ]
IMG_0984.jpeg
IMG_0984.jpeg [ 715.38 KiB | Viewed 899 times ]
IMG_0985.jpeg
IMG_0985.jpeg [ 793.04 KiB | Viewed 899 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 4:40 pm 

I had to take mine apart further to re-string the dial cord. While it was apart I cleaned switches. I did not replace any caps as they were not the Nashville junk and radio played well .I now have an ESR tester and will recheck 1 day but it works well so I leave it alone.

BillK

PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 5:34 pm 

The pictures are great---looking forward to more !

If the tuning cap plates are clean and not bent, the "scratchiness" may be caused by the rotor ground contact. Have seen this multiple times. A tiny drop of DeOxit where it contacts rotor should take care of it after tuning from "end to end" a few times... And on the bandswitch, don't overlook the sometimes hard to see "common" contacts for each wafer...

John

PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 11:42 pm 

XR: I suspected the stator/ground points but thanks to you I focused on them and, as predicted, the cap is now quiet. Same with the band switches. Careful, sparing application of Deoxit has reduced the noise by 85-90%. Good enough for me as I don't want to jeopardize the band switch phenolic? structures.

Going to replace to electrolytic and reassemble. Did some cleaning today. Anyone like a leather treatment product for this cowhide case?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 25, 2021 12:17 am 

Glad it's working ! Philco made some great performing radios and their early transistors were excellent.

I've only used a 35+ year-old can of "The Tannery" to clean very dirty leather surfaces, but haven't tried the newer formulation. Maybe someone else has a recommendation ?

John

PostPosted: Aug Wed 25, 2021 12:24 am 

The leather on this one was dirty but in good condition. Plain water and a Magic Sponge did the trick. I'm looking for a leader treatment/preservative. I have products for car interiors that might be just fine but looking for ideas. Thanks John.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 4:24 am 

Reconditioning update. After replacing both Nashville caps the radio works great. The band switches and tuning caps are now quiet. Oddly the tone control shaft was separated from the "wafer" sweeper inside the control so it, of course, was inoperative. Several failed attempts to secure the shaft end to the wafer failed so I found a close match in my parts box and installed it; however the shaft was not the needed flat side variety so with some filing and grinding I was finally able to fit the knob and regain function. I treated the leather after cleaning with a car seat leather conditioner and have continued to clean and polish the face of the unit. Others have commented on the quality of this set and I agree. The sound quality, sensitivity and selectivity are top notch; a lucky flea market find for me. Thanks for all the pointers.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 4:43 am 

Great---glad it turned out well !

John