Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 7:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith Royal 500 probably 7XT40 #1
PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 6:02 pm 

tomb123 wrote:
Here is the pics of the Zenith Royal 500As verses the Zenith Royal 500B. The Royal B seems to be a little more silvery than the A. I have a translucent royal 500A and the scrip is different that a regular royal 500A. The Zenith Royal As are red/maroon and the Zenith Royal B is black. Tom

Hello Tom, thanks a lot for your comparison. In the closer views the difference is more apparent. As for the script on the back cover, my first impression is that one of maroon A's (the non-translucent one) was given the back of a 500 B at some point in the past. Just to increase confusion, I have a black Royal 500 B with the same "goldy" tone of front metal parts than my black 500 A. It also has the tuning knob with a thin black pointer on the transparent collar (like on the 500 D), instead of the usual thicker white pointer we normally see on a 500 B. I think one cannot be really sure about full originality of these interchangeable parts like the front and back panels... :roll:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 6:08 pm 

tomb123 - You have a very nice collection of Zenith 500s as you can clearly see the lettering on the back of the cases. Most of the Zenith 500 radios in my collection have seen a lot of use and most of the lettering has been worn off, although all of them still work. - Mark

PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 10:58 pm 

IZ5WWB wrote:
tomb123 wrote:
Here is the pics of the Zenith Royal 500As verses the Zenith Royal 500B. The Royal B seems to be a little more silvery than the A. I have a translucent royal 500A and the scrip is different that a regular royal 500A. The Zenith Royal As are red/maroon and the Zenith Royal B is black. Tom

Hello Tom, thanks a lot for your comparison. In the closer views the difference is more apparent. As for the script on the back cover, my first impression is that one of maroon A's (the non-translucent one) was given the back of a 500 B at some point in the past. Just to increase confusion, I have a black Royal 500 B with the same "goldy" tone of front metal parts than my black 500 A. It also has the tuning knob with a thin black pointer on the transparent collar (like on the 500 D), instead of the usual thicker white pointer we normally see on a 500 B. I think one cannot be really sure about full originality of these interchangeable parts like the front and back panels... :roll:

I think the 500s A and B backs were identical. They kept upgrading with the PCB board put into 500 Bs. The next change came with the 500D which has three models with almost the same chassis ( just slight upgrades )but with different markings on the front case. The red translucent one surprised me with the different script on the back. Maybe zenith wanted it easily distinguishable from the regular red 500. That radio plays well. I only had to replace one cap and clean the switches. Tom

PostPosted: Aug Tue 24, 2021 11:27 pm 

The hand-wired 500's (so called 500A) all have the kind of writing you found on back panel of your translucent maroon (burgundy) one. Even the black 500A's have the same wording and style of characters. In addition, 500A models have the "unbreakable nylon" sentence at the bottom of battery cover, while 500B have the same message on the "fixed" part of back panel, just above the battery cover. May be some kind of "overlapping" occurrred during transition between A and B series, so I could not exclude that "mixed-style" models exist, like your non-translucent 500A.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 25, 2021 3:59 am 

IZ5WWB wrote:
The hand-wired 500's (so called 500A) all have the kind of writing you found on back panel of your translucent maroon (burgundy) one. Even the black 500A's have the same wording and style of characters. In addition, 500A models have the "unbreakable nylon" sentence at the bottom of battery cover, while 500B have the same message on the "fixed" part of back panel, just above the battery cover. May be some kind of "overlapping" occurrred during transition between A and B series, so I could not exclude that "mixed-style" models exist, like your non-translucent 500A.

Here is a good web site on Zenith 500 information if you have never been there.. He covers all of them. Also has a few parts for sale. http://www.garysradios.com/royal-500 He has many other radio models there too. The translucent one is a rare model and part of the first batch out. I would like to see the back of some early 500 As to see if the script was unique to the translucent radio My other A is in the 90000 range and has the standard script on it. Tom

PostPosted: Aug Wed 25, 2021 7:26 am 

Hello Tom, these in the attached images are my 500 A, both are black, the first one has chassis code 7XT40Z1 with S/N 63107 and the second one is the 7XT40 that started this thread and has a S/N of 10950.
Also very interesting is the information archived at web page linked below (the original site has gone, unfortunately):
https://web.archive.org/web/20090331035 ... al500.html
In particular, following words seem to confirm that during transistion between hand-wired A to printed-circuit B some hand-wired models with the B-like back cover were produced:
"On later printed circuit models, shown above, the "Tubeless All Transistor" text was revised from the original script to the block lettered "TUBELESS - 7 TRANSISTORS". The information was simply heat stamped (making only a slight depression into the plastic) in gold paint with no outlining. The words "UNBREAKABLE NYLON" were still heat stamped, but moved from the battery cover back onto the main body of the case. These changes were undoubtedly a cost saving measure on what had to have been a very expensive set to manufacture. Based on my observations I believe this change may have occurred during the transition from hand wired to printed circuit models somewhere in the 90,000 to 95,000 serial number range. As always, this is only a general guideline and "crossover" examples do exist. I have a hand wired set (s/n 87106) which has the second design "TUBELESS - 7 TRANSISTORS" back."
May be your maroon hand-wired 500A with the "TUBELESS - 7 TRANSISTORS" script is a rare item again, together with the early translucent case model.

Attachments:
03.jpg
03.jpg [ 438.73 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]
IMG_20210820_155309.jpg
IMG_20210820_155309.jpg [ 328.52 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Thu 26, 2021 1:25 am 

1z5wwb that was a great web site . That person has done a lot of research and documentation on the early Zenith 500s. I have only been collecting the 500s now for about 9 months and am open to information. You are right on the script on the back and my two radios threw me off. It looks like mine in the 90000s probably was a combination of a wired chassis and the B case. All the transistors in both sets match up to his chart. Does that make mine a A/B model ??? It is factory and not all A or all B. I guess I will have to start looking for a regular 500 A now. Thanks for the info. Still working on my D and waiting for some transistors to come in for the other. The D is the one with the black lettering on the dials. Tom

PostPosted: Aug Thu 26, 2021 6:10 am 

Hello Tom, as far as I know the so-called A/B models are hand-wired and have the same vernier tuning capacitor that Zenith equipped the 500 B models with, to make tuning easier compared to the A model. For that reason, they also have the B-style volume and tuning knobs and the two knobs can't be interchanged, while on A models they can.
Best regards
Daniele

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2