Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 29, 2021 12:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone 500 -- Just A Pretty Face?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2018 6:47 pm 

Bought this cutie around a month ago. Seven by four inches tall, approx same size as GE P805 through P809 series.

As far as durability, ruggedness is not one of it's strong suits. Chassis balances on a pair of mounting posts and with back removed, only one screw holds it in place(visible left center). Screw to secure back also holds chassis and mounts through opening near the pair of resistors. The resistors are part of a feedback circuit in IF that was a afterthought, early versions do not have these parts. Audio is interesting, uses a pair of outputs in PP but is driven by 2nd IF that is also fed detected audio. Speaker is capacitively coupled, has no output xformer. .

Batteries mount in a trough only lays in place, upper supported by chassis and cabinet holds lower edge.

Chassis, missing antenna that's approx 3" long. Pict of second parts chassis. Size somewhat minimized by use of couplet and fact it has no output transformer. The GE P80x chassis is almost double in size and those have tuner remotely mounted.

This pict is actually orig chassis from this radio. The parts radio chassis is now installed(first three pict). Orig has either a bad osc coil and/or bad 1st IF transformer. Osc would drop out at approx 1400 & return around 1000. I changed EVERY part in osc circuit incl transistor twice, no help. Also the 1st IF would not align, could get no peak, second & third peak nicely.

Post subject: Re: Silvertone 500 -- Just A Pretty Face?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2018 8:18 pm 

Interesting that it uses a Couplate; I'm not sure I've seen them used, outside of toob sets.

Is this a 5 Transistor? That's all I see, and might explain the lack of oompf W/O an audio driver. Have you tried using a nine volt battery to see if you get better volume?

PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2018 9:35 pm 

Yes it has five transistors.

It has more than enough volume, will play quite loudly. On orig chassis, I did run voltage up a maybe 7v to see how osc recatected, no help.

I believe it's biggest downfall is fact it uses a "little finger" size antenna, even after alignment, only plays strongly by rotating to pick up best signal.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2018 10:42 pm 

35Z5 wrote:

I believe it's biggest downfall is fact it uses a "little finger" size antenna

That could be, but remember, Japanese vertical sets by and large used short antenna ferrite rods as well, and had very good sensitivity. Might just be that the Germanium converter and IF Transistors are pooped out by now.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2018 11:26 pm 

I agree, some of my shirt pocket radios with tiny antennas outperform the bigger sets.

if it's just a shelf queen be happy with it and throw it all back together.

if it's gonna be a daily driver replace the transistors with silicon.

I try not to dwell on things like this too much, life's too short.

That is a nice looking radio Tom, love the color.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 3:16 am 

fifties wrote:
35Z5 wrote:

I believe it's biggest downfall is fact it uses a "little finger" size antenna

That could be, but remember, Japanese vertical sets by and large used short antenna ferrite rods as well, and had very good sensitivity. Might just be that the Germanium converter and IF Transistors are pooped out by now.

Remember there are two radios. For the pictured bare chassis, I replaced all three of front end transistors with ECG replacements, zero difference. The installed chassis works well enough and as Rocco says, it will be a shelf queen.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 3:16 am 

That’s a nice looking radio. I like the color.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 5:02 am 

35Z5 wrote:
Remember there are two radios. For the pictured bare chassis, I replaced all three of front end transistors with ECG replacements, zero difference. The installed chassis works well enough and as Rocco says, it will be a shelf queen.

Yeah, I have a few like that; can't get out of their own way, lol. Not a commonly seen set, so most likely didn't sell all that well back then.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 2:05 pm 

fifties wrote:
Not a commonly seen set, so most likely didn't sell all that well back then.

It was listed in catalog for three years('60-'62). I suspect rarity is more likely due to, drop it on a hard surface and you had a double handful of pieces. At least the chassis supports were history, when broken allows works and batteries to float around inside. This is issue with cabinet of 2nd radio. Someone drilled holes front and back, then installed screws through the set. Quick & dirty repair but does serve purpose. I also suspect this one died early in life and was relegated to someone's dresser drawer. Evidence of previous service, someone had been in inside, wiring removed and resoldered. Problem was the reflex transistor (2nd IF/1st audio) was shorted.

Rocco53 wrote:
That is a nice looking radio Tom, love the color.

Colin Ames wrote:
That’s a nice looking radio. I like the color.

Thanks guys!

Unusual COLOR is what lured me into the rabbit hole, that led to buying a 2nd parts radio.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 8:53 pm 

According to the label of your radio, there were three models offered with the early 500 series: 208, 209 and 210. Unfortunately there were no colors associated with these models. The black and coral colors are the ones you got. What was the third color offered? I took me a while to figure out it was mint green. Another color worth to dive into the "rabbit hole".

Attachments:
Silvertone_500_210_101.jpg
Silvertone_500_210_101.jpg [ 85.09 KiB | Viewed 3455 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 10:00 pm 

Binh you're correct, radios do have model numbers.

I believe I found online the Coral model is a 209. These three digit models are 1960.

My parts radio is a Black 1212, with Coral 1213, & Blue 1214. These are '61 with color called out on model tag. I believe there was also 2212 & 2213 offered in '62(just the two), but if don't know if were same as '61.

The 1960 models are more ornate than the '61 versions, the Coral has a gold Silvertone script whereas it's molded into the grille of black radio, also the coral has gold insert in volume knob & a foldaway handle that's not on the black radio.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2018 11:33 pm 

The 2212 is brown and resembles the '61 models. The mint green version pictured above does not have a handle; so it is probably a 2213. The 210's color is still a mystery. It's nice to have a complete collection of these.

Attachments:
Silvertone_500_2212_101.jpg
Silvertone_500_2212_101.jpg [ 75.43 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Sat 06, 2018 3:26 am 

These radios look good in brown, but the mint green would be very nice.

I went a chasin' down that rabbit hole again, :wink: 2212 brown, 2213 blue. At least that's what's called out in Sams.

These models were cheapened considerably, couplet, 2nd IF xistor, third IF xfomer and interstage xformer eliminated. RF consists of only converter & one IF xistor. Audio altered to include 1st audio driving PNP & NPN output xistors. Also batteries switched to six AA for 9v supply.

RMorg has a snippet from the '60 catalog, states in text the 210 is ice blue. Leaves us(at least me) wondering if the green one isn't a blue and lighting makes it appear green.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 06, 2018 6:30 am 

According to my Bunis guide, the model 208 "500" was made in 1960, but no color was given. The 2212 "500" in brown, and the 2213 "500" in blue, were produced in 1962.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 06, 2018 1:30 pm 

Here is the rear shell of a 1203 with the color called out as mint green on the tag. It looks more blue than green. Guess that lighting and aging may fool one's color perception.

With just one IF stage and a short loopstick antenna, the '62 models must be far less selective and sensitive than the five-transistor GE P805-P809 series. The late GE versions were cheapened too but the circuits were not changed significantly. These Silvertone radios probably did not sell very well compared the GE's which were produced for a longer time (6 or 7 years).

Tom, don't feel bad chasing down that rabbit hole again and again. At least you are not alone doing that.

Attachments:
Silvertone_1203_105_sm.jpg
Silvertone_1203_105_sm.jpg [ 93.92 KiB | Viewed 3400 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Sat 06, 2018 6:52 pm 

bb.odin wrote:
Tom, don't feel bad chasing down that rabbit hole again and again. At least you are not alone doing that.

Yeah, I've been hoping to meet Alice!

My mint green 2203 version of your radio is leaning toward being light blue as well.

I don't think that explains the blue to green though, these radios were built by Arvin while the 500 series by Warwick. Would assume cabinet source was different. Maybe stores received a model that wasn't in catalog? Happened fairly regurarly. If not enough availability for full catalog listing, sometimes such items would show up in a sales catalog/flyer.

If set in picture actually is green, has to be extremely rare.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 3:06 am 

As promised in the other Silvertone 500 thread, I took another look at this Coral version & checked it's distortion level.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=367001

It's actually good, though reflex IF/1st audio amp can easily over drive PP outputs. Biggest issue is 4.5v is apparently not enough B+. Following Richard's lead, I upped to 6v and the little guy comes alive. Volume increased noticeably before distortion set in.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 7:17 am 

35Z5 wrote:
As promised in the other Silvertone 500 thread, I took another look at this Coral version & checked it's distortion level.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=367001

It's actually good, though reflex IF/1st audio amp can easily over drive PP outputs. Biggest issue is 4.5v is apparently not enough B+. Following Richard's lead, I upped to 6v and the little guy comes alive. Volume increased noticeably before distortion set in.

If those two 820Ω resistors are used for each output Transistors base bias, you might fiddle with the values to see if you can convert the distortion into a higher, clear volume level. The increased voltage producing distortion would indicate that a change is needed.