Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Made in Iran
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 11:21 pm 

Came across a Toshiba 7P-70 that says "made in Iran" on the back. Curious how many other models were made there. Anybody have any?

Karl

Attachments:
Toshiba 7p-70 back.jpg
Toshiba 7p-70 back.jpg [ 420.52 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]
Toshiba 7p-70 front.jpg
Toshiba 7p-70 front.jpg [ 661.64 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

Post subject: Re: Made in Iran
PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 4:55 am 

I had no idea transistor radios were ever made in Iran, and it's interesting that it was made there by Toshiba. I wonder how it got to the United States.
That's an unusual and interesting find, even though the radio itself is quite a plain looking one.
What does the circuit board look like? I wonder if any of the parts themselves were made in Iran.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 6:44 pm 

50sTransistorRadios wrote:
I had no idea transistor radios were ever made in Iran, and it's interesting that it was made there by Toshiba. I wonder how it got to the United States.
That's an unusual and interesting find, even though the radio itself is quite a plain looking one.
What does the circuit board look like? I wonder if any of the parts themselves were made in Iran.

It was probably 100% prefabbed in Japan, with kits of parts shipped to Iran (or where-ever) for final assembly in a storefront "factory", which just consisted of installing the pre-built-and-tested circuit card into the plastic case and tightening a few screws. This was done not so much to foster an Iranian consumer-electronics industry but rather to circumvent product sales restrictions or import/export taxes.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 4:13 pm 

lorenz200w wrote:
50sTransistorRadios wrote:

It was probably 100% prefabbed in Japan, with kits of parts shipped to Iran (or where-ever) for final assembly in a storefront "factory", which just consisted of installing the pre-built-and-tested circuit card into the plastic case and tightening a few screws. This was done not so much to foster an Iranian consumer-electronics industry but rather to circumvent product sales restrictions or import/export taxes.

Many would be surprised about how much of this is still done today, with everything up to cars and trucks.