Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 6:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony ICF-SW77 low volume
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 5:41 pm 

I bought a Sony ICF-SW77 receiver on eBay recently which was supposedly fully working, but the volume is very low ( I mean you would be pushed to hear it) even on full volume.
Is this a common issue with these radios? Are there a lot of issues with the AF amplifier? I heard there is a lot of capacitor issues with these radios.

Post subject: Re: Sony ICF-SW77 low volume
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:37 pm 

I would complain and send it back. It's not an easy radio to work on.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 7:56 pm 

It is common for any transistor radio to have a bad electrolytic capacitor resulting in low or no volume.

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 9:01 pm 

The primary suspect in this situation would be the Electrolytic connected to the center wiper of the volume control. Replacing it would get the set maybe not completely up to snuff, but should produce a noticeable difference.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 11:30 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I am tempted to open it and fix it, as it's a lovely build of a radio and I don't want to send it back. Ill weigh up the options.
Sony really took their eye of the ball with those electrolytic capacitors in the 80's and 90's. Too much heat applied in the soldering process I would think.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 1:18 am 

carrolls wrote:
Sony really took their eye of the ball with those electrolytic capacitors in the 80's and 90's.
Just wondering if you can point to the source of that information.

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 9:58 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
carrolls wrote:
Sony really took their eye of the ball with those electrolytic capacitors in the 80's and 90's.
Just wondering if you can point to the source of that information.

Dave

When you consider that certain Sony models of that era are almost guaranteed to need their surface mount electrolytic and tantalum capacitors replaced in 2021 and other Sony's of that era are almost guaranteed to be ok in that area in 2021.
For example, its rare to get the ICF Pro80, ICF-SW77, the ICF-SW01 and the ICF-SW55 in full working order in 2021 that haven't been re-capped, whereas the ICF-SW100 and ICF SW7600D rarely need this cap work done.
Similar Grundig, Panasonic and Philips models of the same era never seem to have the same problems with their surface mount electrolytic and tantalum capacitors.
There are even dedicated capacitor replacement kits available on eBay for the ICF Pro80, ICF-SW77, the ICF-SW01 and the ICF-SW55 models which suggests it could be a big problem with these models.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 8:45 pm 

I bought an ICF-2010 new in 1989, and although use it sparingly, have never had a problem with it.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:29 pm 

Yes, the good old Sony ICF-SW77 :D A few years ago I purchased a (semi) working one as well. I soon discovered I was not alone. My first Google search of this radio turned up familiar sounding ICF-SW77 vs Sound Issue vs Capacitor conversations.

SW77 capacitor issues appeared to be a sub-hobby within the radio collecting world lol … but their small size, yikes! To me small components meant .022 yellow Mouser caps, but these Sony caps were the size of ants.

I put the radio aside, it stared back at me for a couple of years … then I took the plunge. I watched a few YouTube videos (okay, a lot). Did a little more research online, ordered the cap kit, gave the patient a shot of whiskey and bullet to bite on and did it.

It works much better now. It still has a volume slider issue regarding one channel but I didn’t kill the radio. I use it now, and I’ll go in again someday to fix the slider.

If you’re up for a challenge go for it. Could you kill it? Sure. Could you fix it? Sure.

There are many folks online facing similar issues with the SW77 who are willing to help.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 9:14 pm 

I eventually sent it back for a refund.
I looked at that UK guy, RadioCruncher on YouTube and he spent a whole Sunday repairing one.
Even though he had the finest tipped soldering irons, automated solder suckers and audio testers, he struggled a bit at times.
All I have is a crude Radio Shack soldering iron, manual solder sucker and braid. What hope did I have? :D