Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 28, 2021 1:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Panasonic RF-8000
PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 12:44 am 

Hello all,

Rather new here, okay really new here but a few posts at the clubhouse. Not new to radio restorations but no where near and expert. I cleanup hardware, tests and replace caps and resistors. Not adverse to tearing down and reassembly.

However:

Recently received an RF-8000 in cosmetically sad shape. Needs all new black vinyl reupholstery! The hardware that requires fixing:

1) a telescoping antenna missing, one complete,

2) missing plug in loop antenna.

3) missing line cord.

4) upper frequency indicator missing, probably still attached to a broken dial cord.

5) broken upper dial cord or it is still there and the indicator has fallen off.

6) the rotating electrically driven drums rotate upon selection but do not stop at the selected band. Except for the MW which always selects and stops correctly. All bands work with incredible clarity and depth. I do a work around on the poor performance of the unique band selection.

7) tuning fork clock does not work. Is is a Bulova movement?

8) missing volume knob and volume pot is extremely stiff. It does work but will not force it until I get this open.

On the plus side, all bands work using a workaround on the selector. All switches work correctly including SSB which receives perfectly. So internal electronics check on the SW and VHF bands. It seems that it is a hardware problem (see above) not an electronic RF IF problem.

So the question is, I am talking to someone in Barcelona Spain who actually advertises a repair and restoration service of which one specialty is the RF-8000. Of course shipping is expensive, but considering the value of the radio in fully functional and restored to near original conditions the shipping cost and restoration fee is reasonable.

My question is, and I am based in Vancouver, Canada, is there somewhere in the US or Canada that may have experience restoring this particular model?

787 Geoff (aka Geoff)

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RF-8000
PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 1:03 am 

Here is a web-image for those (like me) wondering what an RF-8000 looks like.
Attachment:
Panasonic RF-8000.jpg
Panasonic RF-8000.jpg [ 404.18 KiB | Viewed 936 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 1:30 am 

Holy mackerel... :shock:
This set retailed at two and half grand in 1977

I'm sure that I have three or four of them in the shed. lol

Seriously… surely you can find someone a bit closer to home.
The Italian postal service is one of the most corrupt in the world. If they get a sniff of what's in the shipping carton, you can kiss goodbye to your radio.

You read it here first.
Greg.

Popular Mechanics Aug 1977

Attachments:
x.png
x.png [ 823.35 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 1:51 am 

Vlado Karamitrov aka Dr. Vlado in Asheville, North Carolina will definitely repair your set to working order… whether he's into historical / cosmetic restorations, I don't know.
https://swling.com/blog/2018/01/doctor- ... 00-part-1/
https://hamradio.repair/

He has repaired a couple of large portable sets for Tim, arf member Dalton
drop Tim a PM (private message)… active at the bottom of any of his posts.
viewtopic.php?p=3017155#p3017155

Greg.

Edit: okay... you said Spain, not Italy. lol

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 1:59 am 

Thanks for posting, wish mine looked like that. Point is, apparently that is what it will look like when restored.

On my part, I thought i would do this, but shseeesh, this is not for the faint hearted amateur used to simple aa5’s and such.

I will be using FedEx both ways, as the company I work for has an employee discount.

Looks like it will be going to Spain where the restorer is based. This was a made and marketed for Europe so rare here in North America.

2,500$ in 1977 is 11,000$ today!

But the sound is incredible, and just relying on the internal rod antenna for AM and the telescoping antenna (one missing) for FM and SW is also just incredible. Watching the drums rotate to your band selection is is a winner!

Thanks Greg,

Actually I used his photos to restore my RF-2200!

Was wondering about his availability as I have seen him on the internet. I will email and see. The historical aspect is why I was looking at the Barcelona connection as he actually advertises this specific model including the vinyl repair. Apparently he has done a few of these and does have spares in stock; probably from donor unrepairable units.

So, shipping one place for the internal hardware, getting it back then shipping it somewhere else for the case restoration would be as expensive as a one stop restoration overseas.

Having dealt with the Italian postal system I am in full agreement with you.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 9:21 pm 

There are at least three other credible restorers from Canada, the Madeira Islands and Australia

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrCarlsonsLab

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1czABA87SroDeBAqsk1TDA/featured

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidTipton101

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 10:08 pm 

Manuel Caldeira, mastermind da eletrónica is a great guy.

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 10:31 pm 

It was he and David who inspired me to do something like that)

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 9:38 pm 

Well, shipping is hugely expensive, especially for a 50lb vintage radio. Since the electronics are all working (reception, tuning and etc) I have decided to address the physical repairs myself.

These include:

1) removing the chassis from the cabinet and disassembly of the cabinet in preparation for new tolex covering. Found a local guy for that who does incredible vintage amp vinyl restorations.

2) repair of the band selection system. The motors work, and the band selection buttons actuate the drums. Some bands always select correctly while some bands cause the drums to continuously sequence requiring a power interrupt to stop the rotation. Hopefully a clean and service versus a broken ‘something’, if it is a broken something, thats what 3D printing is for.

3) restring the upper dial display string. Fortunately not a complex version and I do have the manual.

4) replace the bulb on the upper VHF dial. Maybe all three with LED’s and resistor package to down value the bulb voltage.

5) replacement 55mm volume and tuning knobs. The volume knob is missing therefore trying to source 2 matching knobs of the appropriate size.: 55mm X 20mm with 6mm shaft and Allen key screw set, although friction fit would work. (Any help on a source for that would be appreciated).

6) replacement of broken whip antenna. Hopefully matching the existing one; there are supposed to be 2.

7) fabrication of the loop antenna which is missing. Again, 3D printing the attachment box and installing the correct jack and electronics in the attachment box. All specs found in the service manual fortunately.

8 ) fabrication of the correct AC cord (missing on this example).

9) minor plastic repair on the back battery hatch area.

The big thing is getting the band selector system fully functional. After all, that is the nerd appeal of this radio.

On the plus side the sound is fantastic. Way better then my other radios including the RF-2200 which is known for its great sound. The phono jack will get a dongle for Bluetooth as the sound is so incredible.

Will include a photo restoration sequence also, hopefully when it is done someone else might benefit as there is not a whole lot of info about this radio from a restoration point of view.

Cheers, Geoff

Attachments:
File comment: Tolex condition (yuk!)

Removing all badges, brackets, screws and etc. This will aid in the tolex restoration.

Front exterior cover.

526740EA-93E3-4B1A-8E99-D50FC00EFB70.jpeg
526740EA-93E3-4B1A-8E99-D50FC00EFB70.jpeg [ 926.76 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]
File comment: Back exterior.
C41514EE-4E0D-4D83-956D-8936AF751C11.jpeg
C41514EE-4E0D-4D83-956D-8936AF751C11.jpeg [ 776.21 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]
File comment: Back interior.
6566D35F-6360-44E2-A219-6A6AB8514B19.jpeg
6566D35F-6360-44E2-A219-6A6AB8514B19.jpeg [ 685.81 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]
File comment: The top: missing antenna (broken), jack for loop antenna, handle.
2583B42A-3F6C-4E9A-A319-A954794B6445.jpeg
2583B42A-3F6C-4E9A-A319-A954794B6445.jpeg [ 451.37 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2021 9:14 pm 

Part II:

The chassis has been removed as per the RF-8000 instructions.

Extremely dirty interior, dust and dust bunnies and a couple of loose screws. Five grounding straps not attached and yet the radio worked as far as reception. So yes, someone else was in the radio./

So addressing the problems with a cursory scan of the case, clock, radio…

1). Eureka! The missing pointer was found in the radio guts, having fallen down. Looks like there was an attempt at a reattachment repair. Well that will easily be fixed. This was a major concern as I did not know if the pointer had fallen / broken off or the dial string was missing. Well the dial string is there and not broken. Repair success estimate 100%.

2). The clock was not working. Why? Maybe one of the grounding straps affects the clock. In fact the grounding strap attached to the terminal strip which carries the power supply wires to the clock was not screwed down to the chassis but left free floating. Hooking up a 1.5 volt DC current to the clock resulted in a hum. GOOD NEWS as it means the coils are not shorted or broken. (A typical fault on Bulovas). Raising the current to 3 volts resulted in the clock keeping time!!! Shut it down after a 10 second video as the movement needs to removed and serviced (cleaned and oiled). Looks like the clock may actually work as an alarm or recording aid. Repair success estimate 100%.

3). Dial lights are all extremely accessible. Also there is lots of room, if LEDs (yellow) are substituted, to allow an inline resistor for each. Repair success estimate 100%.

4). Broken whip antenna has the standard joint and screw attachment so an easy fix if I can find one the same width on line. In any case, not a difficult fix as the base and joint are in perfect condition and only a screw antenna needs to be found. To keep things matching I might resort to two identical whips replacing the good and broken whip antennas.

5). The electronic / selector system needs to be addressed. It functions to select the appropriate the band but fails 50% of the time. Hopefully a cleaning of contacts, gearing and etc will address this. Also, just attaching the grounding straps may fix that problem. Will keep you posted.

6). Now the chassis is out I must remove the accessories to the cabinet to allow for a restoration of the tolex covering.

7). Will fabricate my own loop antenna which can be stored on the inside of the front case as with the original. Involves bending wire correctly and forming an attachment box similar to the original. Repair Estimate 100%.

8). Still looking for some appropriate knobs, matching. Have some on order but they are a not wide enough.

9). Also have to address the stiff volume potentiometer. Either replace or hopefully loosen up with a clean and oil.

Getting enthusiastic about having a fully functional, new looking RF-8000

Attachments:
File comment: The tuning fork clock!

[ Play Quicktime file ] trim.FDE94953-31E2-43F5-929D-110972B87889.MOV [ 3.64 MiB | Viewed 545 times ]
File comment: Missing pointer found!
05E3E000-B2EC-440A-A9DE-BE3BBF3C89D7.jpeg
05E3E000-B2EC-440A-A9DE-BE3BBF3C89D7.jpeg [ 426.19 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]
File comment: Looks like an attempted repair on the pointer. Will fix it.
31A1F84F-6581-4DAE-BA1C-31BE4F07324A.jpeg
31A1F84F-6581-4DAE-BA1C-31BE4F07324A.jpeg [ 741.19 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]
File comment: The chassis removed.
4B72D2CA-19F7-48B1-9AA7-0ABA7B0FC831.jpeg
4B72D2CA-19F7-48B1-9AA7-0ABA7B0FC831.jpeg [ 875.17 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2021 9:42 pm 

Dial lights are all extremely accessible. Also there is lots of room, if LEDs (yellow) are substituted, to allow an inline resistor for each

I don't understand why? I always leave light bulbs, even in the dashboard of an old motorcycle. They shine more beautifully than LED.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2021 10:24 pm 

787Geoff wrote:
So the question is, I am talking to someone in Barcelona Spain who actually advertises a repair and restoration service of which one specialty is the RF-8000. Of course shipping is expensive, but considering the value of the radio in fully functional and restored to near original conditions the shipping cost and restoration fee is reasonable.

I'm sure he can repair it but can he supply all of the missing parts with vintage NOS or salvaged OEM parts (cosmetic and mechanical) or is he just going to jerry rig it with whatever comes close?

PostPosted: Oct Wed 06, 2021 11:39 pm 

US7IGN:

Normally I would agree, however a known problem with this radio is when it is connected to the mains, the dial lights are always on. Some have actually installed an on/off switch for this reason, as the lights are notorious for burning out and needing frequent replacement.

Now they are accessible but it entails 25 screws, three desolder points, removal of three jacks and all six knobs. So I think the yellow led with filter (will experiment to get the same golden look).

Indiana Radios;

Correct! So I have decided to do this myself. Since the radio system electronics are fully functional I will focus on the mechanical side of things. With that in mind, one of my big concerns was the tuning fork clock. Fortunately it functions, as I powered it up separately after removing the chassis. All it needs is a service (cleaning and oiling).

Next was the VHF string which as you can see is complete. The dial pointer was found. The tolex will be restored (replaced). So well on the way to a fully functional Radio.

I am now up to 80% of the dial selection functioning correctly. The rest are selectable using the power switch and the selector. But it really needs to come out as a unit for a service. Then I will be able to see what might be needed. Hopefully just a cleaning and grease/oil application and not a broken tooth on a gear or something akin to that.

It is the selector system that is one of the main features of this radio.

In conclusion it looks like the majority of the repairs are cosmetic. The tricky part being the selector portion.

Last edited by 787Geoff on Oct Fri 08, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 12:36 am 

fyi, Matt found some 120° Warm white LEDs
here: https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 9#p2787049

73 de Greg.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 2:51 am 

Those warm-white LED's do look very good in operation---have installed them in three of my multi-band sets...

Looking forward to interior pics of your band-changing mechanism !

John

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 7:41 pm 

Ordered the warm glow LEDs. Now everything I do with the radio such as aftermarket knobs, LEDs, whip antenna are all replaceable in short order with the originals except for the volume knob (missing).

So for the purists, I always keep the old stock with the radio.

So the big thing here is getting the rotating drums to stop at the push button selection. The rest seem to have been addressed such as the tuning fork clock. This is not a modified Accutron movement but a standalone ESA Swiss movement. Haven’t removed it yet to ID it but I will. As I stated earlier, it does work which saves me from trying to find 44 year old coils.

Cheers, Geoff

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RF-8000 continuing saga
PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 1:38 am 

Removed the chassis which gave me access to the clock. Desoldered the two wires attached to the clock to remove it in preparation for its service.

Removing the chassis also allowed me to remove the over 40 screws and nuts holding the case together. The case is now disassembled and will be sent out for a full tolex restoration.

I will address the plastic parts of the case that were damaged in storage and through use. This includes the back cover which had plastic guides for screws damaged by incorrect disassembly by someone. Easy fixes. Nothing on the front, side or top of the case needs repairs except for the tolex.

Awaiting two replacement antennas of the correct proportions and I have some nice solid aluminum dials arriving soon also of the correct proportions.

Pictures of the tuning fork clock. Manufactured by Jeco of Japan under licence from Bulova. The fork hums at 300hz. This example is fully functional but needs to be serviced. Lots of YouTube videos on “Jeco tuning fork clock”.

May actually do this myself if I do not find someone who specializes in these or at least is familiar with this movement. The two capacitors visible in one of the photos are notorious for drying up. These are part of the oscillating circuit along with the resistor, transistor. Very similar to an Accutron watch movement. They also control the vibration amplitude of the tuning fork and as they dry up the tuning fork amplitude drops to the point the clock hums, but the pallets on the tuning fork do not ratchet the drive wheel.

I also include some shots of the case completely dissembled. I have bagged all screws and accessories in labeled ziplocks and LOTS of photos!

Next will be the tuning selection system. It needs tweaking (service) to function but that requires a lot of concentration so another day.

Also, battery tubes, where, what, how and after along search (saw the plastic soda bottle) …. I came up with the following:

I have sheets 8.5 X 11 inch of plastic for covering reports. These are clear and of the correct stiffness (thickness) to roll. The sheet is cut to 23 mm wide to accommodate 4 D cells. A roll of double sided adhesive tape was applied to one edge. The batteries placed and the sheet rolled up to meet the end with the double sided tape. Creates a very nice, tight, rigid tube with clean edges and a neat adhesive end. Satisfies my OCD.

Enjoy

Attachments:
CFC582D6-0168-41BE-9ED6-5D53AFB17654.jpeg
CFC582D6-0168-41BE-9ED6-5D53AFB17654.jpeg [ 637.54 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]
938B5F54-5B51-4453-88E5-037C8076E19C.jpeg
938B5F54-5B51-4453-88E5-037C8076E19C.jpeg [ 638.83 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]
B245E326-2EF1-4E95-ACE4-F4B491843ACC.jpeg
B245E326-2EF1-4E95-ACE4-F4B491843ACC.jpeg [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 380 times ]
C4FC6978-B079-4010-BFAB-9D148B4016CE.jpeg
C4FC6978-B079-4010-BFAB-9D148B4016CE.jpeg [ 601.92 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]
File comment: Case parts for tolex
5660D378-908D-43AC-B618-C4D156DFE1FC.jpeg
5660D378-908D-43AC-B618-C4D156DFE1FC.jpeg [ 494.67 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]
File comment: Facia plate, undamaged (no scratches) but in need of a cleaning!
C0DD80B9-568D-4544-B972-47E0667F0BCD.jpeg
C0DD80B9-568D-4544-B972-47E0667F0BCD.jpeg [ 841.92 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]
File comment: Screws screws and more screws!
13B500D7-BC84-4184-9DAB-2ABAAE0715AD.jpeg
13B500D7-BC84-4184-9DAB-2ABAAE0715AD.jpeg [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 380 times ]
File comment: The plastic sheet with adhesive double sided tape in place.
CEDF5B2E-F60D-4848-9025-52581A5F0C1D.jpeg
CEDF5B2E-F60D-4848-9025-52581A5F0C1D.jpeg [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 380 times ]
File comment: Batteries in the tube with the adhesive holding all together.
030C06CD-C337-4B41-83CE-A549CA4A8958.jpeg
030C06CD-C337-4B41-83CE-A549CA4A8958.jpeg [ 2.93 MiB | Viewed 380 times ]
File comment: Both tubes for the RF-8000
552F4F31-5BD5-4F2E-A67C-AA5B4C8AF138.jpeg
552F4F31-5BD5-4F2E-A67C-AA5B4C8AF138.jpeg [ 2.8 MiB | Viewed 380 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 2:32 am 

Good to see and hear of progress---looking forward to more !

John

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 9:30 pm 

Thanks XRHonda91.

My other car is my 74 5spd Celica, still have it. Reason I mention that is your handle.

Now back to the radio:

YAHOO. Got all 24 selector buttons functioning today!!!! When you see the attached pictures you will notice three connectors. I cleaned all exposed pins and pads with 600 grit sandpaper rinsed with 99% IPA and then a drop of De-oxit red. Seems it was a connection problem to the PCA logic. The selector pin sends a signal to the board which then tells the drum to rotate to the correct band. Somehow the signal to stop the drum was not getting through to the motor. So I started with cleaning the two 12 pin connectors (VHF and SW) and then the 3rd connector from the motor to the PCA.

They all select correctly now!

So to date I have:

1) secured a tolex restorer.
2) removed the chassis.
3) disassembled the case for tolex repair.
4) removed the tuning fork clock for service and confirmed it works (I will do that also).
5) created the battery tubes.
6) ordered matching twin telescoping antennas. The base that the antennas screw to are good. And the bases have a push release mechanism for storing the antennas flush. This will still be functional.
7) have installed cheap temporary dials until the aluminum ones arrive which were an ebay find and appear to be a good match.
8) freed up the seized volume control pot which is fully functional.

Today I noticed that the VHF dial would only rotate through half the band. Now that combined with a knot in the tuning string plus the fact that the VHF dial pointer was broken off the string lead me to believe that someone was in the radio and attempted a repair on the dial string which broke. Instead of installing a new dial string they shortened the existing one by unravelling one turn off the dial drum and bypassing a pulley. This prevented the dial drum from spinning all three turns required to cover the band spread! Thus reducing the ability to tune in the entire VHF selection of 12 bands into only half bands.

So I cut the string (I will restring of course) and tested the tuning and voila, full band spread back. Now to restring and it looks easy enough.

So next, restring! Then add the warm LED lights, antennas and dials when they arrive. Install chassis into refurbished like new case.

So now the prediction is it will be 100% restored and functional.

Cheers all

Attachments:
File comment: The knot, the second indication of a dial string problem, the first was the missing tuning indicator (found floating in the chassis).
3159CD53-2F17-4815-9373-18E22E06EF03.jpeg
3159CD53-2F17-4815-9373-18E22E06EF03.jpeg [ 703.85 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
File comment: The third indication is the missed pulley required for the VHF. The forth was the string was a bit loose.
0E639B45-903E-431D-BAFD-6BC7EB697CC4.jpeg
0E639B45-903E-431D-BAFD-6BC7EB697CC4.jpeg [ 781.15 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
File comment: Any easy restring in any case.
FC0EA9B8-4A99-4782-9022-646256223289.png
FC0EA9B8-4A99-4782-9022-646256223289.png [ 395.44 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
File comment: Cleaning the connectors left side from back.
E09E1ABC-8693-4665-ACAF-B683C2D23107.jpeg
E09E1ABC-8693-4665-ACAF-B683C2D23107.jpeg [ 559.39 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
File comment: Connector on the right side from back.
0BE8819F-3DF4-4ED6-A6E6-E84F6015A794.jpeg
0BE8819F-3DF4-4ED6-A6E6-E84F6015A794.jpeg [ 650.41 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Fri 15, 2021 12:56 am 

Looks like things are going great so far !

Were those selector connector pins & contacts noticeably oxidized before cleaning ? I'd be very concerned using sandpaper, though, for fear of removing or damaging plating. I have a "special" plastics eraser which is what we used to clean gold-plated PCB "fingers" years ago at first job and it is very gentle to plated surfaces. I've had very good results with DeOxit Gold liquid.

Like the TV-tuner turret-type band-switch units---they sure are well greased !

My "handle" is actually from Honda XR250L dual-sport motorcycle---was originally looking for a '91, but ended up with a '96... I also have a '93 Accord LX with over 360,000 miles that still runs & drives great with very few repairs through the years...

Wonder how long it will take to get your cabinet recovered ???

John

Attachments:
ARF RACE-CLEAN.jpg
ARF RACE-CLEAN.jpg [ 91.16 KiB | Viewed 335 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next