Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 05, 2022 1:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Early Zenith Royal 500D project---very good radio !
PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2022 5:26 am 

Hello All,

This early 500D with an RF-amp stage was recently purchased in a group of seven radios from another ARF member. After carefully cleaning a bit of residue from the battery compartment which was actually in good shape, installed batteries and this radio worked very well as it was although I did touch-up alignment a tiny bit. It had already be recapped by a previous owner. Audio quality seems even better than my other early "D" and it is a good little set to listen to. Completely disassembled and detail-cleaned cosmetics. One of the chassis mounting bosses was broken off and had been glued before, so carefully reglued with Superglue gel and so far it seems to be holding.

I have a broken early "D" cabinet which had a "B" chassis inside that I'd refurbished earlier and just used as a replacement in the maroon 500B which was also part of this purchased group. This broken cabinet had an excellent gold anodized aluminum escutcheon, so decided to use it for this radio. Was not a fun experience as the inside ends of the tiny brass pins on the sides had been "swedged" over top of the small speed-nuts, so the "nuts" and internal pin-ends had to be destroyed to remove. Once the good panel was in place on this radio's cabinet, used a rubber band to hold it securely in place, taped the tiny mounting pins in position, then using a Ty-wrap "tail", carefully applied small "globs" of Loctite Extreme glue over ends of pins inside cabinet slots. Appears to be working well...

Carefully polished back-sides of the clear knob skirts and what I could of knobs themselves.

This radio now looks as good as it works except that I still need to paint-fill a couple of the letters in " Z E N I T H" some day...

Pictures below---please "click" on images to enlarge view !

John

Attachments:
ARF MAR 500B PRTS CLN 5-15-22.jpg
ARF MAR 500B PRTS CLN 5-15-22.jpg [ 875.34 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]
ARF MAR 500B CMPLT INS 5-15-22.jpg
ARF MAR 500B CMPLT INS 5-15-22.jpg [ 812.85 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]
ARF MAR 500B CMPLT FRT 5-15-22.jpg
ARF MAR 500B CMPLT FRT 5-15-22.jpg [ 533.84 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]