Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 22, 2019 2:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 4:57 pm 

I agree! I certainly would not pass that set up at all, it has character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 9:42 pm 

Maybe my not so humble opinion was a bit hasty but frankly this thing still looks cheesy to me. From the Luan board construction to it's painted on markings. The use of chrome and annodized aluminum over chintzy veneer evokes a feeling of '60's cheapness. While it does work it doesn't sound very good. In all fairness though I haven't done a thing to it but clean it up and put in a set of batteries.

The responce in defence of this Holiday really is surprising. I thought it would be universally considered ugly. Maybe my taste will change over time...but don't count on it :lol:

Bruce Webster

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2009 9:45 pm 

Arvin 63r58. To bad it was left to rot. Put batterys in and it works perfect. Interest thing is it appears to use positive and negative 4.5 volts for the output. It may be the loudest of this type I have seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Tue 23, 2009 9:28 pm 

The following text was originally posted here by member Vintage Dave but was accidentally removed.

Got any photos of the "pills"? I'm thinking TO-106 package.
The white ceramic with black epoxy dome is beautiful; I've been thinking of having one made into a ring.

That Arvin is an early OTL (Output TransformerLess) design, called SEPP (Single-Ended Push Pull, which predates the Complementary/Symmetry arrangement that was the final word in output stages.

It uses a center-tapped power supply.
One way it's drawn makes it look like two single-ended amps stacked one on top of the other, but the two separate secondaries on the driver transformer allow the bias to be separated, and although one side seems to return through the emitter and the other through the collector, they are both common-emitter, and they really are operating in push-pull. This is usually paired up with a 32-ohm or higher speaker. I'm trying to remember if there was a common-collector low-impedance version, but visualizing it is making my head hurt.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Tue 23, 2009 9:41 pm 

Vintage Dave wrote:
Got any photos of the "pills"? I'm thinking TO-106 package. The white ceramic with black epoxy dome is beautiful; I've been thinking of having one made into a ring.

I know the pills your talking about but I looked through my stash and couldn't find any.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 16, 2009 4:03 am 

1965-1966? Panasonic AM Alarm Clock. This was given to me by my 4th-5th grade teacher before she and her husband retired to South Colorado. It's in very good shape, but the light that illuminates the time at night is kind of blown. Most of the bulb is black, and there is a faint orange glow from the filament. Not sure how to replace it, as it is not a twist and remove style bulb, and it appears to be built into the housing.
1970's Sony AM/FM Radio. Looks and works like brand new, reception is very good. I bought it for $7.
Bit of an old picture, but nothing has changed except the TV. 1978 Sears AM/FM/MPX/Phono/Cassette/8-Track player. It was mom's 16th birthday present, and it has since been given to me. Reception is Decent, I suppose if I added an external antenna it would help a lot, but, I don't use it enough for one. Usually it just plays records or 8-Tracks. It's hooked up to Marantz Imperial 5-G 2 way component speakers, dated 1975. The upright speakers are the originals, that came with the radio.
Mid 1970's? Califone 1420 4 speed record player. It's mono, and sounds pretty good, but, it unfortunately has lost it's needle. One of three 4 speed turntables I own to date. I think it was restored some time in it's past, but have no way to prove it. It's in unusually good shape.
Early 70's? GE Automatic turntable, was given to me by a older couple, who bought it for their daughter, who passed in 1974. It sat unused since then, probably why it's in such good shape as well.

That's all I have to date (7/15/09) :D 8)

Saving America's acoustical history, one phonograph at a time..

Post subject: Sharp FY-114
PostPosted: Jul Wed 29, 2009 2:42 pm 

Picked up a Sharp FY-411, eight band TO type radio. Minty condition and impressive performance.. Any info available on web sites. I have the manual but that doesn't have technical data.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Wed 19, 2009 3:13 pm 

My Craigslist-found Sony CRF-230

Very dirty, dinged, stinks of Tobacco, but a very cool behemothImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2009 11:36 pm 

A 21 pound portable Grundig RR-1140SL followed me home.

This is a BIG radio !! I have been playing with it for a few days and I love it. It is missing one knob and the clock readout needs help. Parts of the digits are missing.

Sounds amazing though, lots of volume and plenty of low end. Anyone familiar with this set? It is the first one I have ever seen.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 25, 2009 7:28 am 

fvan wrote:
A 21 pound portable Grundig RR-1140SL followed me home.

This is a BIG radio !! I have been playing with it for a few days and I love it. It is missing one knob and the clock readout needs help. Parts of the digits are missing.

Sounds amazing though, lots of volume and plenty of low end. Anyone familiar with this set? It is the first one I have ever seen.

Frank

Wow, that thing is freakin' huge! That rivals any of the Japanese "ghetto blasters" of the '80s. :) Excellent set!

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 02, 2009 1:16 am 

Latest find is a six transistor Japanese radio, no tag inside the case and the name plate has fallen off.

Anybody know the brand?

Post subject: Realtone Flying Saucer Radio
PostPosted: Mar Fri 05, 2010 10:36 pm 

I thought I would share this find with the board, I bought this at a flea market today, works and is LOUD!!:)

-harv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 06, 2010 7:45 am 

cool find. I like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 06, 2010 8:28 am 

deleted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 06, 2010 1:12 pm 

thanks!

Realtone Flying Saucer Radio!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Fri 26, 2010 5:25 pm 

Kurer Transi Radionette from the late '50's, Norwegian world band portable.

Works well, but need information of dail stringing. Would appreciate any information on this set. Thank You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2010 8:36 am 

I really like that Elrick. I am not a transistor/solid state collector but that one would be welcomed addition to my collection of tube radios. If you need some dial string I have plenty that is free for the asking. PM me if you need some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2010 3:22 am 

Here is my collection!
[img][img]http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab298/Jaycebot/DSCF1434.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 12, 2010 3:27 am 

The only transistor radios I own. The Panasonic is mint, and so is the Yaesu, but it has been modified with Collins filters.

Invisible Eye is still watching U !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 12, 2010 5:10 am 

Here's my collection ( several new additions from my earlier post in this thread)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/transistor_radios/sets/

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 536 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next