Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 4:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit Mohican
PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2012 8:49 pm 

Just acquired a very nice one Saturday. I'm about done cleaning it up and I'll post a few pics for your enjoyment. :mrgreen:

Question, though, regarding the battery compartment. There is no polarity indicated as far as inserting the batteries. There's a coil spring at one end and a screw head at the other. I'm assuming the flat, negative end of the C cells go against the spring, and the positive end of the battery against the screw head, but I'm guessing. Anybody know for sure?

Since the gigantic interwebz have been cleaned of Heathkit manuals, might any of you gentlemen have a scan of a Mohican manual, or a schematic?

Thanks in advance!
Clay

Post subject: Re: Heathkit Mohican
PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2012 10:24 pm 

Clay

If it is a GC-1A model, I can help out. Send me a complete email address that can accept a
large file attachment.

That radio is POSITIVE ground, be very careful that the batteries are installed correctly.
Usually the negative side of the battery is towards the large springs, but be very careful
not to reverse the batteries!!! The screw end should mate against the positive anode.

Pete

PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2012 10:30 pm 

Thanks, Peter!

Yes, it is a GC-1A. I did not know it was positive ground!! And I was thinking about wiring in a DC wallwart socket so I can run it off the wall. Good thing I waited! :shock:

Try clay5477(at)gmail That should work for a big file.

Thanks a bunch!
Clay

PostPosted: Feb Mon 27, 2012 11:07 pm 

I found a site that has lots of the manuals including this one. I don't know how long they will remain there:

http://tubularelectronics.com/Heath_Man ... Manuals_G/

I remember when that fellow bought the rights and there was a big flap to get everybody shut down who had them. That seems to have subsided and the guy's web site seems rather dead in the water. Not sure what the status of all that is.

Tony

PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2012 3:37 am 

Clay

Sent it... 7 Meg file. Let me know when you receive it.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2012 2:42 pm 

Got it, Peter!! Thanks!

PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2012 5:00 pm 

Cheap insurance: Add a diode across the 12 volt power bus on the radio. I added a 1N4007
diode from ground to the 12 volt lug on the rear of the IF board. Cathode band to chassis.

It might have been a good idea to add a 1 amp fuse ahead of it as well. That way if power
is ever applied reversed, the diode will take the brunt of it.

Pete

PostPosted: Feb Tue 28, 2012 8:26 pm 

Agreed - except I fitted a diode in series - the radio just doesn't go with the wrong power supply....and also fit a diode from the battery pack so that the batteries don't get inadvertently charged from the wall-wart - should you forget or someone not in the know doesn't remove the battery pack first. I fitted I have intentions of fitting a 12v gell cell instead of using dry cells - but I don't use the Mohican Much anyway. :D

I have heard that in the dim and distant past a magazine called "Electric Radio" published an article on improving the Mohican. I have never heard of this mag - anyone know anything about it?

PostPosted: Feb Wed 29, 2012 1:17 am 

majoco wrote:
Agreed - except I fitted a diode in series - the radio just doesn't go with the wrong power supply....and also fit a diode from the battery pack so that the batteries don't get inadvertently charged from the wall-wart - should you forget or someone not in the know doesn't remove the battery pack first. I fitted I have intentions of fitting a 12v gell cell instead of using dry cells - but I don't use the Mohican Much anyway. :D

I have heard that in the dim and distant past a magazine called "Electric Radio" published an article on improving the Mohican. I have never heard of this mag - anyone know anything about it?

As I said in the "other" forum:

Electric Radio had several articles on Mohawk improvements but I could find no articles in Electric Radio on the Mohican (GC-1A or GC-1)

To play with the Electric Radio Search Index, go here: http://www.radiolabworks.com/ersearch.html
To find out more info about Electric Radio, go here: http://www.ermag.com/index.cfm

Pete

PostPosted: Feb Wed 29, 2012 1:42 am 

majoco wrote:

I wonder if the improvements your are thinking about are those made when Heathkit updated the GC-1 to the A version? Among the changes was a temperature compensating diode in the audio bias circuit. Other changes improved stability in the upper frequency range.

I have all of the issues of ER going back to the first and I don't recall anything about the Mohican.

A lot of the RX-1 Mohawk concerns (the big tube type communications receiver) disappear with proper setting of the IF gain control. Heathkit didn't intend for it to be run at full gain.

Probably the same engineer who put the TX-1 Apache modulation level control as accessible only through the CW key jack (causing many owners to run excessive levels of clipping as they tried to increase modulation level with the convenient front panel audio gain control) decided it would be a good idea to put what probably should have been an alignment only IF gain set control on the front panel of the RX-1. In all fairness, I think the designer just overestimated the knowledge of the average user and didn't expect the sets to be used improperly. I imagine this overestimation became clear to the designer when Heathkit had to send out a letter explaining how to properly tune AM on the RX-1 as referenced in a Radio and TV News column.

Rodger WQ9E