Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 04, 2021 3:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: National High Frequency Receiver Type HRO-5TA1
PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 7:25 pm 

:) I have a I have an old National High Frequency Receiver Type HRO-5TA1. It has four coils and a box to put three in while putting the fourth one in the receiver. I did actually use it 20 years ago, and it worked either as a short-wave receiver from about 160 meters to 10 meters or 1.5 to 30 Megacycles. An adjustment made it work on the amateur bands and you could listen to USB or LSB amateurs or perhaps even CBers.

But one of the coils is damaged and the receiver has damage from storage in my barn.

I am thinking of selling it in whole or parts. I am wondering where to post this? I see the coils themselves go for 50 to 100 dollars as they are rare, at least the original old ones are. I usually post on Craigslist, but am thinking an antique market the best or EBay.

Here are a few pictures of. If I do sell I believe I need to post in the classified.

Attachments:
File comment: National High Frequency Receiver Type HRO-STA1
IMG_2705very_compressed.jpg
IMG_2705very_compressed.jpg [ 82.83 KiB | Viewed 5910 times ]
File comment: The receiver, power supply, speaker & coils
IMG_2698very_compressed.jpg
IMG_2698very_compressed.jpg [ 54.39 KiB | Viewed 5910 times ]
File comment: Receiver & coils in container
IMG_2702very_compressed.jpg
IMG_2702very_compressed.jpg [ 52.25 KiB | Viewed 5910 times ]
File comment: Close up of two coils in container cabinet
IMG_2709_very_compressed.jpg
IMG_2709_very_compressed.jpg [ 90.38 KiB | Viewed 5910 times ]

Last edited by btcomp on May Mon 16, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: National High Frequency Receiver Type HRO-STA1
PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 9:23 pm 

That's a very nice example. Probably the way to realize the most profit is to list it on ebay but I'm sure that you can make someone here very happy by posting it in the this forum's Classifieds section with an asking price and your location. Offers to buy posted here in this section will be deleted.

Dave

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2016 12:46 am 

Thanks Dave,

I may list on Craigslist in Detroit area. I will try to do so here. I have research to do on this. I used to be in ham radio, still am a ham. But we moved from Port Huron to 15 miles west, and I kept the radio in our barn. :)

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2016 2:03 pm 

Just to give a price point, about 2 months ago I traded a restored Hammarlund SP-600-JX21 for a restored National HRO-5TA1 like yours. It also had the power supply, matching speaker, 4 coils, and wooden coil box. I was asking $450 on the SP-600. Do the coils in your set match the serial number of the receiver?

If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2016 2:34 pm 

A couple of things:

1. Here's a good article that will show you where your model fits in on the long line of HROs. These are great receivers. They're not too difficult to restore and they're a lot of fun to operate.
http://www.radioblvd.com/National%20HRO.htm

2. As for value, a lot depends on what kind of damage this receiver has. If it's just dirt from long-term barn storage, that's no problem. However, if there's water damage or rodent damage, that could impact the value more substantially.

3. About a year ago, I paid $200 for the same model, although without the speaker and with the scarcer broadcast band coils. Mine had been stored in a barn for a long time. A few months later, I bought a matching speaker for $50.

4. Unless you want to go through the hassles of shipping, craigslist may be your best bet. An antique place might not work well because the market for this set in us boatanchor guys, who are a small subset of the radio-collector community. The radio-collector community is a small subset of the antique-buying community.

5. As for the scarcity of the coils, I don't think the A, B, C or D coils are all that scarce, probably because coils for certain different models can be interchanged. The broadcast band coils, which were a separate sale item back in the day, seem to be the ones that are more difficult to find and that command the higher prices. Yes, some people do sell the receiver, coils, power supply and speaker separately. I guess you have to balance profit vs. the hassle of handling several different transactions.

6. When doing your price research, understand that you have to treat the different HRO models as separate and distinct. For example, an HRO-60 or HRO-50 is probably a better performer and worth more than yours. On the other hand, some of us really like the earlier models.

Post subject: Re: National High Frequency Receiver Type HRO-5TA1
PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2016 3:14 pm 

Thanks Sean & Joe. I could not find serial numbers. There are number ink stamped on the coils.

As far as damage it is mostly humidity type. There is some rust on the chassis & one of the tuners on the chassis is lose from rust. It may work. The cord to the power supply definitely needs replacing, much more exposed wire now and would probably short somewhere, not really a problem there I wouldn't think.

The coil in the 14 to 30 Megacycle range was in the radio so it has some rust and the metal is a bit disintegrated, but it looks intact. I would bet the radio might play, unless the coil that is loose on the chassis has disconnected.

I will look at the website. As much as I could use the money I do like the radio. I don't have the time now to restore. I will have to research it.

I saw a label on the bottom, that I don't remember ever looking at. I didn't have my reading glasses with me and my camera phone was in the house. I will go out later when I can and read the label.

Also, I correctly changed the model to 5TA in my title, so updates will be correct in the title and in my text too. :)

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 2:18 am 

If you want to be picky about it the coils you have would have been used with the post war HRO the 5 and 6. The HRO Seniors (pre war) use the same coils but they have paper frequency charts mounted with a metal frame. The war time HRO's didn't have bandspreadable coils just general coverage. Matching # on the coils is a + but not a necessity just means an alignment job to match them to your set
They will fit and work with any HRO that is pre HRO-7. As mentioned the coils for the HRO-50 and 60 seem to bring premium prices. About a year ago I bought a D coil set for my Senior for $25.

Condition is hard to tell from your pics. Rust can be a problem and a lot of these set where modified by hams. Have seen the RF section rewired to use miniature tubes and extra holes/sockets for God only know what. Some like a bone stock set. I've got one now that I've been collecting old dud caps so I can replace/ repair the recap that was done in the '60s.
Best of luck w/your sale
Terry N3GTE

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 2:29 am 

Thanks Terry,

I am not sure, but I am thinking I will need to work on the radio a bit. The tubes and such look like they may need replacing. I have scores of tubes too, but I would be hard pressed to believe I have the right tubes. I was heavy in the ham hobby 25 years ago. Not so much today. But I do like old radios. \ :)

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 3:04 am 

Don't condemn the tubes too quickly. Those old octal tubes hold up pretty well.

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 3:30 am 

Joe, Cool! :)

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 5:07 am 

btcomp wrote:
I could not find serial numbers. There are number ink stamped on the coils.
The RadioBlvd page linked above has a section entitled "Serial Number Locations".
That should help you find it.

Early serial numbers were stamped on the chassis at left front, visible through the cabinet hole for the antenna and ground lines .
Here's my D17:

Your photo of the coil sets appears to show serial number J565.
The J series was manufactured in October-November 1935

- Leigh

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 12:21 pm 

Thanks Leigh,

Will look at today. :)

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 1:55 pm 

Leigh wrote:
Your photo of the coil sets appears to show serial number J565.
The J series was manufactured in October-November 1935

- Leigh

Except the coils he has are late-war and post-war period and the HRO-5TA1 was made in that period.

btcomp wrote:
I could not find serial numbers. There are number ink stamped on the coils.

The serial number on your receiver should be located on the top of the chassis behind the crystal filter assembly. On mine it is stamped into the chassis, not an ink stamp.

If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 9:41 pm 

Some late HRO Senior receivers had the serial number metal-stamped on the TOP of the chassis, about halfway between the audio output tube and the edge of the chassis. Thats where my A-series serial number is, anyway.

-Chuck K7MCG

Last edited by K7MCG on May Wed 18, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2016 1:17 am 

Thanks Leigh, Chuck, Sean,

I went and looked for a serial number but couldn't find. Maybe a picture of where to look exactly. Rust on the bottom has made it difficult to see. I can like a J6... for tube numbers, but not finding serial numbers. If I know exactly where it should be I might be able to find. :)

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2016 5:45 pm 

Hi..i am new to this forum. Actually condition is hard to tell from your pics. Rust can be a problem and a lot of these set where modified by hams. Have seen the RF section rewired to use miniature tubes and extra holes/sockets for God only know what. Some like a bone stock set. I've got one now that I've been collecting old dud caps so I can replace/ repair the recap that was done in the '60s.

pcb assembly services