Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 10, 2019 10:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stand for Boatanchor Repairs
PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 1:18 pm 

To repair radios I have been turning them upside down and trying to support them on SOMETHING that won't allow the weight to smash components (like tubes, S meter, or coil cans), usually on stacked up cigar boxes. Or lying radio on its side and HOPING it does not tip over, or crush a component while I am in there.

Rodger (WQ9E) suggested making a more permanent "stand" using available chassis holes.I looked, there are extra holes all over!! I am posting here what I did, super easy and STRONG as a rock. Four 1 foot lengths of 2x4 with a 2 inch nut/bolt/washers using four "spare" holes in the side of the chassis for my brand new NC-183. Don't know why they are there, but WOW, how convenient!! Hopefully i can save others the headache (and tipping over radios) I have experienced.

paul

Attachments:
IMG_7189tif.tif
IMG_7189tif.tif [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 1775 times ]
IMG_7190tif.tif
IMG_7190tif.tif [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 1775 times ]

Post subject: Re: Stand for Boatanchor Repairs
PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 1:34 pm 

I find some sort of stand to be a near necessity. There is a guy who makes nice wood ones.

I just make them out of scrap wood. This is what I just made for a Zenith. Took 15 minutes to make, but I like how it will stand the chassis at a 45 degree angle to work on. I hate having a chassis parallel to my bench as I would have to stand up the whole time working on it. This is stable in several positions.

For my work on Philharmonics, I made a metal stand that will rotate the whole chassis 360 degrees, and lock in any position.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 2:45 pm 

I like the 45 degree angle!! I gotta do that. Actually, I gotta do that AFTER I finally buy an adjustable lamp that I can rotate over where I am working.

p

PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 3:48 pm 

I have been using the large stand made by Steve Strong. Here is a NC-183D in the stand . . . .

Attachments:
nc183.JPG
nc183.JPG [ 151.23 KiB | Viewed 1723 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 3:59 pm 

Is that large stand available for sale?

edit: Found info and will buy one.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 4:25 pm 

Share with the rest of us? :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 4:51 pm 

+ not that he needs more endorsements, but +1 for Steve Strong's stands (2 sizes available I believe).

It made what would have been a nearly impossible task, at my advanced state of modern maturity, much, much easier as I recapped and aligned my SX-42.

Both the recapping and the alignment involved much switching from top to bottom on a 60-lb. chassis, not something you want to have to do with brute force and ugliness.

I do like some of the other ideas above as well and am going to use them on smaller projects, especially since there’s almost always a big project occupying the Strong stand.

For the smaller ones I’ve been using wood cutoffs stacked under key points but that often results in them getting knocked out of place at the wrong times.

BTW, here's Steve's site:
http://radiostands.com

If talk is cheap, it's because the supply usually exceeds the demand.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 7:43 pm 

This is what I've been doing for some years now. Simple, inexpensive, and works well.

I see all but the OP's pics. What seems to be the problem?

These are made up on some 1/2" aluminum angle from the hardware/home center. Total cost for 4 posts is maybe $3 and 30 minutes effort.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 1:16 am 

I watched a youtube video about a guy who made a stand device to hold chassis upside down for service. Very simple, no frills, and uses thumb wheels on threaded rod to tighten down the two halves onto the side of the chassis. Probably not quite enough for some really big honkin' monster boatanchor chassis but for normal broadcast sets of the table variety, works well. I put rubber sheet pads in the jaws to get a better grip that just the bare wood clamps. A "professional chassis stand" is probably economically out of the question here unless I get lucky some time.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 13, 2019 1:12 pm 

Quote:
What seems to be the problem?

My problem with your post is that your desk is way too clean - how can you possibly repair anything with that neat installation of professional equipment and not a spot of dust nor wires stringing anywhere? :D

PostPosted: Mar Wed 13, 2019 11:55 pm 

Ed Engelken writes.....

"I have been using the large stand made by Steve Strong. Here is a NC-183D in the stand . . . ."

I have the same stand. Unfortunately the stand is too big for my bench. Nonetheless, it's a very nice setup.

...Jim

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 3:43 am 

I have had the same problem as Jim, with my Strong stand. The stand is just too large for my bench. I have thought of converting it into a floor stand, but this will require some reinforcement to keep it from racking. Increasing the length of the base may also be needed to maintain stability.

Until I do some modifications, I will just have to live with man handling the chassis the conventional way or use Mike’s method to protect the top side. I usually end up standing the chassis on it’s side with the transformer down to keep it stable.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 4:08 am 

With the Aluminum angle pieces in my earlier post, When I want to tilt the chassis to make working more convenient, I simply use blocks of scrap wood to elevate the front panel, and although some of the pics look a bit precarious, the chassis is actually quite stable. Of course, there's a point of no return with this process, and setting the radio on it's side as Chris mentioned, a block of wood under the chassis would also tilt the radio back to a more convenient position.

All these pics are links to more.

Jeffrey said;
Quote:
...My problem with your post is that your desk is way too clean - how can you possibly repair anything...and not a spot of dust nor wires stringing anywhere?...
Well Jeffrey, here's the "behind the scenes" of it all. :wink:

A Harvey Wells TBS-50 and Viking 122 VFO combination, in process...

And a Gonset Commander transmitter getting the modulator response changed.

...and from years ago when I only had one bench. It was way too shallow so my new bench was made a lot deeper.

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 1:51 pm 

Hi Guys....

It's surprising nobody has mentioned a piece of bench gear that helps a lot when handling a heavy chassis....the good 'ol Lazy Susan.
I have one that's about twenty inches in diameter. Found it while garbage picking on a Monday morning many moons ago. Rehabbed the bearing surfaces and since then, this simple piece of equipment finds a lot of usage when doing boatanchors or a big Zenith chassis.
Try it....you might like it.

...Jim

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 3:52 pm 

I made one five or six years ago, but to me it didn't wind up nearly as handy as first I thought it would be. You still have to re-position the chassis fairly often, manhandling the thing into position, so in the final analysis, what does the LS actually contribute?

They are great for photographing radios and other items though.

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 4:40 pm 

I did build a lazy susan, and it works pretty well for me. (Sorry no good pictures.) I built mine square, with the top piece about 15" square, as I recall. I built it square because across the diagonals of the square would catch the outside perimeter of most chassis that I work on, yet small enough to fit and rotate on the bench top. I glued on a piece of cheap floor mat for a protective surface. If I were to do it over again, (and I probably will, one of these days), I would use a better bearing. While the one I have, from Home Depot, is supposed to be good for 400#, it is not the best with a load on it, such as an HRO-50, and catches sometimes. I think a heavy transmitter chassis might just be too much for it.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 14, 2019 4:47 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
I made one five or six years ago, but to me it didn't wind up nearly as handy as first I thought it would be. You still have to re-position the chassis fairly often, manhandling the thing into position, so in the final analysis, what does the LS actually contribute?

They are great for photographing radios and other items though.

I don't often disagree with Mike, but when I do...

I have a turntable that I found at a GoodWill store some time ago that gets used quite often and lives under the bench for easy access.

I find it useful for times when I'm only aligning a smaller radio like the pair of HQ-110s currently in the lab.

Besides, right now the Strong Stand has a Hickok 155 lashed up for extensive recapping, etc.

Also note the picture shows how I solved the problem of trying to fit the large stand on the bench. I don't. I just repurposed the base of and old medical cart I happened to have already. I still have plans for using a different metal set of drawers that I'll put casters on that will result in a base that's even smaller than this one, but not too small to be top-heavy.

Attachment:
155 on stand small.jpg
155 on stand small.jpg [ 233.75 KiB | Viewed 1438 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 4:15 am 

Good idea, Chuck! I like it!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 6:24 am 

Quote:
...I don't often disagree with Mike, but when I do...
Gees Chuck, all these differn't upinions mite be tuff for some of us to handle, ya know... :wink:

Seriously though, it Looks like you could take the table top off that roller cabinet, and bolt your rack directly onto it.

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 2:21 pm 

I knew you are man enough to handle it, Mike. :D

It’s not the base but the green top that’s bigger than required. I’d keep the setup you see there for storing WIP.

The new setup would have the advantage of several drawers in which to store more stuff to keep at hand. It would be about the same size as the base on which the green top is now sitting.

You know how it is I’m sure. A work space is a process, not a destination.