Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 1:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Uniden HR2600 President 10 Meter
PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2020 5:52 pm 

Got me one, at a good price on eb.

Has mounting bracket, mike, power cord, and manual.

Wan't an awful lot more than the HTX-10's that were avaiso I available, so I figured "why not".

Planning on using as a base and mobile, boldly going where I can't lug my Kenwood TS-520S!

Anyone have experience with one of these?

It seems pretty full featured.

Comments are welcome, just please don't address me as "good buddy". :shock:

Purchased from a ham.

Tim
N3YQV

Post subject: Re: Uniden HR2600 President 10 Meter
PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 2:26 am 

those are plagued with junk caps and corrosive/conductive glue.
i have 2 hr2510 and 1 2600 in my pile to go through.
the caps were trash new and no margin given.
like a 10v cap on a 9v line.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 2:37 am 

I own one of these as well as the HTX-10. I used the Uniden for a number of years, until I noticed gradual, steady decline in it's normally excellent receive performance. I put the rig on the shelf as ten meter propagation wound down. Hopefully I will get to it this winter as I believe there is a need replace numerous aging and poor quality electrolytic caps. Time to purchase a good de-soldering station and magnifiers.

I would rather spend my time restoring a 100 pound boat anchor.

Todd
ka8gef

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 2:00 pm 

Sell the TS-520 and buy a TS-440. The TS-450 has 20dB less isolation in the I.F. making the TS-440 a better receiver.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 2:24 pm 

No don't sell the 520 unless it is a wreck or your are hard up for cash. Classic radios are fun and if you go back to buy another, pay more and maybe risk getting one that is a hidden dog. Unless it was only used as necessity and vintage radios don't excite you as compared to newer stuff. I hope you did not spend a great deal of money on a 10M only rig. Band openings are apparently few and far between until the sunspots come back. There are local round table nets on 10M in some areas. That means you can chat with them but you may live in an area that is out of range for groundwave direct communications with a group. Actually now is sort of a golden time for the CB people that want to talk around their area. As soon as the sunspots come back in force, the channels will be jammed with constant noise and garbage to the point of uselessness alot of time. Then the pirates will start going to illegal un assigned frequencies, but not to worry, apparently the FCC abandoned the band and there is probably little to fear from enforcement unless a paying customer of the licensed spectrum gets interference from you. Or gov't users.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 2:29 pm 

wazz wrote:
No don't sell the 520 unless it is a wreck or your are hard up for cash. Classic radios are fun and if you go back to buy another, pay more and maybe risk getting one that is a hidden dog. Unless it was only used as necessity and vintage radios don't excite you as compared to newer stuff. I hope you did not spend a great deal of money on a 10M only rig. Band openings are apparently few and far between until the sunspots come back. There are local round table nets on 10M in some areas. That means you can chat with them but you may live in an area that is out of range for groundwave direct communications with a group. Actually now is sort of a golden time for the CB people that want to talk around their area. As soon as the sunspots come back in force, the channels will be jammed with constant noise and garbage to the point of uselessness alot of time. Then the pirates will start going to illegal un assigned frequencies, but not to worry, apparently the FCC abandoned the band and there is probably little to fear from enforcement unless a paying customer of the licensed spectrum gets interference from you. Or gov't users.

Poster may not have enough cash to get a quality light weight transceiver unless he sells the TS-520. And, forget the 10 meter President or the Radio Shack version. They are junk. Add another $100 and buy the TS-440S and a used Astron RS-20 if poster does not have a power supply for the TS-440S.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 8:50 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
wazz wrote:

Poster may not have enough cash to get a quality light weight transceiver unless he sells the TS-520. And, forget the 10 meter President or the Radio Shack version. They are junk. Add another $100 and buy the TS-440S and a used Astron RS-20 if poster does not have a power supply for the TS-440S.

Thanks to all for the excellent advice.
As I said, I purchased this from a ham - and a rather well known one at that.
Hopefully any issues with the set have been dealt with, he guarantees or money back.

The DX - 302 I purchased got some grief on here as well.

I absolutely love the receiver, it is more fun than most of my other radios, except perhaps my Zenith R7000-2.

I enjoy reading everyone's comments, I learn from each one of them, so please don't take this as criticism.

Also, with a seller name like "big bore handgun enthusiast", I may think twice before returning my "good buddy" radio.

Catch you on the flip - flop, and keep the shiny side up!

:lol:

P.S. - if I recall correctly, the pneumonic for the sellers expert call sign is a vanity sign - "44 Magnum!"

I heard him on 75 meters last summer on the Zenith.

https://youtu.be/3kNWo_29cmM

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 9:54 pm 

I just acquired a very nice TS-520S with CW filter. I have rearranged my desk so now it's being set up alongside the TS-440S and TS-940S and TL922. I am building a new rig switcher so I can use the same microphone, keyer, amplifier, etc. with any of the radios.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 9:57 pm 

TS-520 may still be the most reliable transceiver ever made.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 10:52 pm 

bob91343 wrote:
I just acquired a very nice TS-520S with CW filter. I have rearranged my desk so now it's being set up alongside the TS-440S and TS-940S and TL922. I am building a new rig switcher so I can use the same microphone, keyer, amplifier, etc. with any of the radios.

I ordered a "horse fence" (?) 10 meter resonant antenna for my TS-520S.
Not quite sure what horses have to do with it...

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 10:54 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
TS-520 may still be the most reliable transceiver ever made.

Thank you, that's good to know.
I gather the boat anchors are normally able to be brought back to optimal condition with a bit less fuss, as well.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 05, 2020 11:03 pm 

I have so many antennas that one coaxial switch won't do it. I have three switches set up to select among my various rigs and antennas. The antennas are a triband yagi for 10-15 -20 meters, a two band yagi for 12 and 17 meters, dipoles for 75, 40, and 30 meters, and a gamma feed on one tower for 160 m. Plus two rotators.

What a great hobby...

PostPosted: Nov Fri 06, 2020 8:22 pm 

bob91343 wrote:
I have so many antennas that one coaxial switch won't do it. I have three switches set up to select among my various rigs and antennas. The antennas are a triband yagi for 10-15 -20 meters, a two band yagi for 12 and 17 meters, dipoles for 75, 40, and 30 meters, and a gamma feed on one tower for 160 m. Plus two rotators.

What a great hobby...

Sounds like a great array!

I agree, it is a great hobby!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 20, 2020 8:22 pm 

I had a '2600 back in the '90s and had a ball with it mobile. The largest complaint I had with its receiver is that a single filter is used for all modes. As I experienced it, SSB and CW signals suffered by being aligned somewhat in the skirt of the filter. This caused quite a loss of audible signal strength as those signals were tuned. Then there would be a high amount of QRM from stations further away in the main passband of the filter. After a few years I started running an FT-890 mobile which was much better.

I sold the '2600 in '03 to a firend who is now SK and I don't know what happened to the radio.

I think the key to using it is understanding that its design is a compromise to cover all modes with the least components possible!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 20, 2020 10:47 pm 

For years I hoped to find an SSB CB set to modify for ham use. Finally I did, five dollars. I

It was the same, the crystal filter about 4KHz wide, wider than you'd expect for SSB, but narrow for AM.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 12:24 am 

N0NB wrote:
I had a '2600 back in the '90s and had a ball with it mobile. The largest complaint I had with its receiver is that a single filter is used for all modes. As I experienced it, SSB and CW signals suffered by being aligned somewhat in the skirt of the filter. This caused quite a loss of audible signal strength as those signals were tuned. Then there would be a high amount of QRM from stations further away in the main passband of the filter. After a few years I started running an FT-890 mobile which was much better.

I sold the '2600 in '03 to a firend who is now SK and I don't know what happened to the radio.

I think the key to using it is understanding that its design is a compromise to cover all modes with the least components possible!

Thanks, Nate!
Here's hoping the new sunspot cycle is gracious enough to open the band up!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 12:31 am 

mblack wrote:
For years I hoped to find an SSB CB set to modify for ham use. Finally I did, five dollars. I

It was the same, the crystal filter about 4KHz wide, wider than you'd expect for SSB, but narrow for AM.

I had a Cobra 148F (digital frequency readout) back in the 1990's.

I did not use an amplifier, and once talked to St. Martin's Island from Erie, Pa .

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 4:30 pm 

I recently restored a Cobra 138XLR CB that I bought new back in 1978. Cost me close to $300 at the time. Some cleaning, a bunch of new capacitors, little tuning and it's fine, now.

The Japanese made Uniden 858 chip CB's were the best back in the day.

Problem now there is no traffic on the CB bands in my area.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 5:06 pm 

I have a few CBs around here. For what I don't know. Maybe once a year I take one out in the car with a lil' Will magnet antenna and try to talk on the highways. Lot of the time it is futility. I also picked up a well worn but functional Alinco DX 70 all band rig, for like, well under 200$. I would use that one mobile if I ever get around to it. Modern cars are not hardly close to ideal for mobile HF work. Mounting an antenna is problematic and all the electronics in them make a ton of noises. Even in CB radios too. I guess the fact that CB is now ignored, unregulated anonymous anarchy, that makes it ideal for certain situations....

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 6:09 pm 

And somewhere along the way they started selling CB sets for emergency, walkie-talkie like but no built in antenna. So magnetic mount antenna, keep the unit in the glive compartment until needed, then plug into the cigarette lighter.

They can be pretty small.