Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 28, 2021 7:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wire antenna anomaly
PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2020 12:46 am 

Got a general coverage Wadley loop reciever.

Not having a proper antenna, I cut the plug of of the supplied wire antenna for my XHDATA 808, stripped an end, and the results were very good.

The 808 wire is only about 8 feet long, so I figured a longer, thicker wire would work better.

Went to the Depot and got 30 feet of high quality copper stranded wire, about 16 gauge.

The results were that the 30 foot thicker wire doesn't seem to work as well as the shorter, much thinner wire.

One thing I noticed is the noise level in spots went up quite a bit, but some signals that I recieved with the 808 wire were gone

I'm baffled.

Last edited by Dalton on Nov Mon 09, 2020 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Wire antenna anomoly
PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2020 3:21 am 

May have something to do with where the wires were placed or oriented.

The performance of a length of wire also depends on the wavelength you're trying to receive. At some wavelengths, 30ft will present a high impedance at the ends & not transfer signals to the receiver well at all.

Heavier wire doesn't really have much effect for receiving since no appreciable current is flowing thru it.

In short, you may want to play around more with different lengths, hanging it in different places, and trying grounding the chassis or G or GND terminal if the Wadley has one at the antenna connection.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 08, 2020 6:17 pm 

hwhall wrote:

The performance of a length of wire also depends on the wavelength you're trying to receive. At some wavelengths, 30ft will present a high impedance at the ends & not transfer signals to the receiver well at all.

Heavier wire doesn't really have much effect for receiving since no appreciable current is flowing thru it.

In short, you may want to play around more with different lengths, hanging it in different places, and trying grounding the chassis or G or GND terminal if the Wadley has one at the antenna connection.

Will do.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 6:17 am 

hwhall wrote:

Followed your advice, ran the wire out of my room and near a window, and the difference is like night and day.

The signals are booming in!

Thanks for the tips.

Tim
N3YQV