Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 1:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Collins Receivers high prices
PostPosted: Nov Thu 12, 2020 5:43 pm 

KX5JSC wrote:
Hmmm. I guess there's hope for my $300 R-388 I bought late last year..

John

The R-388 is about the only Collins I seen under $500 in working condition. A lot were built thus availability is better than other larger Collins radios such as the 'A' series.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 12, 2020 5:45 pm 

sprman wrote:
My collins story.Years ago i got a R-388 for 350.00 was ok and worked .I went cleaned every thing on it even pulled the front panel off cleaned knobs ect up .Spent a week cleaning it checking tubes ect.Found a few weak tubes replaced the filter cap on it then did a IF alignment on it.Works very well now and i used for a while .Been trying to sell it the last 2 years at hamfests ect for $350.00 ,many people ask what it is,so i tell them.Have not sold it yet and i have noticed all collin gear i see at hamfests are priced high.Ebay collins prices are high.I did see last year a working R-390A for $150.00 that was rough but working.Have all ways wanted a KWM2A but they are priced to high for me!I have a Collins R-391 i use and prices for it are very high..Every Collins i have owned seems well built and seems to work good tho im not a fan of the PTOs...Was just at a hamfest here where a guy offered me $100.00 for my R-388 he wanted to use to display it..Angelo 8)

Working R-388 will sell for $350 on eBay, but packing is not fun. Due to ebay selling fee I would list for $395.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 12, 2020 7:16 pm 

When I was 20, I was given the use of 3 Collins KWM-2A's, each with power amps by my rich uncle (Sam). I monitored them for 12 hours daily for 3 days a week, answering random hourly radio checks and copying whatever traffic deemed necessary. That sated quickly, whatever desire I had to have even one of my own, though I can see why they are prized.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 12, 2020 8:43 pm 

BTW- My Collins 51J-4 is the best AM ham receiver I ever used. I did own a R-390A 20 years ago, but too long ago to know how it compares to the %!J-4. Likely just as good or perhaps better.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 12, 2020 9:34 pm 

Over my 30 plus years in ham radio I've had several Collins units, both S and A Lines. Most were repaired, used for a while then sold. The station pictured here works well and will remain at this QTH. Collins equipment is well built and a pleasure to use but there are times when my Icom 765, with its expanded band coverage and ability to quickly QSY, is the better choice.

Price wise the KWM-2 and 75S-3B were bought years ago at reasonable prices. The 312-B3 and 516F-2 came at bargain prices and the 312-B4 was a cheap basket case that i completely rebuilt. The 30L-1 also came at a bargain price but required a lot of work.

John VE3PMA

Attachments:
Collins station 2 (1280x960).jpg
Collins station 2 (1280x960).jpg [ 766.04 KiB | Viewed 661 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 13, 2020 5:25 am 

Collins R-390A (checked thru) sold for $850 on ebay today. Add another $100+ shipping. Whew!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 13, 2020 12:20 pm 

prices are higher because there aren't any hamfests to go to. Everything is on-line now.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 13, 2020 7:04 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
Collins R-390A (checked thru) sold for $850 on ebay today. Add another $100+ shipping. Whew!

I was the one who got that 390A working for the seller. It was a pretty clean 390A to start with, had the typical scratches here and there - definitely not a museum piece but pretty clean. It didn't take much to get it going, a few tubes a couple caps and after a complete alignment it performed very well.

We have a pretty good arrangement, I work on some of his radios in trade for some radios to add to my collection.

I too was surprised to see the selling price, but whatever the market will bear I suppose.

Tom
W3TA

PostPosted: Nov Fri 13, 2020 7:08 pm 

thoyer wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

I was the one who got that 390A working for the seller. It was a pretty clean 390A to start with, had the typical scratches here and there - definitely not a museum piece but pretty clean. It didn't take much to get it going, a few tubes a couple caps and after a complete alignment it performed very well.

We have a pretty good arrangement, I work on some of his radios in trade for some radios to add to my collection.

I too was surprised to see the selling price, but whatever the market will bear I suppose.

Tom
W3TA

Congrats. The Collins are expensive now and only going higher in price. I believe I got a good deal on my Collins 51J-4 at $500. It is in very good condition.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 13, 2020 8:25 pm 

[/quote]
Congrats. The Collins are expensive now and only going higher in price. I believe I got a good deal on my Collins 51J-4 at $500. It is in very good condition.[/quote]

Jim,

I didn't buy that 390A (I have five of my own, don't need any more....). The seller is a friend of mine and I went through it for him before he listed it for sale.

Tom
W3TA

PostPosted: Nov Sat 14, 2020 9:17 am 

At a hamfest near Austin, TX earlier this year, I had a chance to buy a nearly mint R-390A for $500. The tuning mechanism working smoothly and all the zinc chromated exterior screw looked untouched. Don't know if the receiver actually worked. It was at the end when everybody started packing up to leave so I suspect that I could have gotten it for less.

I thought and thought about it, but, alas, I decided to pass. Still kicking myself.

John

PostPosted: Nov Sat 14, 2020 1:15 pm 

Quote:
...Having three and wanting two more seems like you've been bitten badly enough...

Like a few others here who buy/fix/use/flip, and/or, have a couple rooms full of radios, a couple more won't really be noticed all that much, and I certainly won't be paying big money for them.

Although there were a few exceptions, my criteria for buying radios is that they be pretty nice cosmetically, immediately followed by cheap. Unobtainium, and chemical plating aside, I can fix anything else.
=====

Very nice groups of "product lines" Rodger, including the Drakes. I've only seen a couple examples of Eldico radios and they were interesting. Do you still have/use them?

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 11:24 pm 

For some reasons I can't explain It seems that the value of these old receivers is highly region/country related. Here in Belgium (Europe) where I live the interest (and subsequent value) for old boatanchors has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years and is now close to zero level: nobody wants them anymore whatever the price or model is. And even old "classics" made by big names like Collins, Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, National,etc which sold easily in a couple of minutes some ten years ago at hamfests no longer attract any potential buyers. For instance a few months ago I picked up a nice Collins 51J4 and R390A/URR (Motorola version) both in fairly good original condition (including cases !) for less than 100$ each, which was overpaid since I would be hard pressed recovering my investment If I ever decide trying to sell them locally. Nice to see that the trend in the U.S is just opposite and there are still some people who appreciate, preserve and take care of these old technological marvels from a bygone era.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 11:55 pm 

Tubologic wrote:
For some reasons I can't explain It seems that the value of these old receivers is highly region/country related. Here in Belgium (Europe) where I live the interest (and subsequent value) for old boatanchors has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years and is now close to zero level: nobody wants them anymore whatever the price or model is. And even old "classics" made by big names like Collins, Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, National,etc which sold easily in a couple of minutes some ten years ago at hamfests no longer attract any potential buyers. For instance a few months ago I picked up a nice Collins 51J4 and R390A/URR (Motorola version) both in fairly good original condition (including cases !) for less than 100$ each, which was overpaid since I would be hard pressed recovering my investment If I ever decide trying to sell them locally. Nice to see that the trend in the U.S is just opposite and there are still some people who appreciate, preserve and take care of these old technological marvels from a bygone era.

Wow. About zero AMers in your country?

PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2020 12:12 am 

jimbenedict wrote:
Wow. About zero AMers in your country?

Significantly more than zero but I guess there are very few vintage radio collectors amongst them. They're all using current high end digital gear.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2020 4:50 pm 

The older Collins 75A-, 51J- and R-388 are not normally found on Ham radio classified sites for sale. Only eBay has perhaps 5 to 10 for sale at any given time.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2020 6:08 pm 

From what I see and hear it might be a good time to sell a real Collins R390A..
Here's my best one from the last order made by Collins Radio.
With top and bottom covers, all filters.
Was gone thru a few years ago, but I need to check it out.
And I see how attached I am,,,, I've had at least 8 but this is the best.
Wish the bands [img][img][url][/url][/img][/img]were better.
Hank

Attachments:
IMG_1557 2.jpg
IMG_1557 2.jpg [ 567.2 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

Last edited by wd5jfr on Nov Tue 17, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2020 6:17 pm 

wd5jfr wrote:
From what I see and hear it might be a good time to sell a real Collins R390A..
Here's my best one from the last order made by Collins Radio.
With top and bottom covers, all filters filters.
Was gone thru a few years ago, but I need to check it out.
And I see how attached I am,,,, I've had at least 8 but this is the best.
Wish the bands were better.
Hank

Only two sold on ebay since September. $850 and $1000. Nothing offered on ebay right now. There are two on QTH at around $500, but no one will ship.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 12:09 am 

Generally speaking, I don't see why someone will offer something for sale, and refuse to ship it. Refusing to ship severely limits the possibility of a sale, I'd think.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 12:47 am 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
Generally speaking, I don't see why someone will offer something for sale, and refuse to ship it. Refusing to ship severely limits the possibility of a sale, I'd think.

Most of these vintage radios are owned by older hams. Many cannot lift the radio to pack it let alone carry it to a shipper. I think R-390A weight 85 lbs without the rack mount case that likely adds another 20 lbs.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 89 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next