Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 12:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmit, no antenna
PostPosted: Nov Fri 13, 2020 9:45 pm 

I checked into a 75 meter net last Saturday with no antenna. I am using an My antennas EFHW-8010. It has a balun. The antenna 130 foot wire itself was disconnected so power just went into the balun. I was 15 over S9 with net control. Match was 4 to 1, but thought my SWR meter had an issue as it is normally 1.7 to 1 SWR. How did this antenna get a signal out? Capacitive coupling with 6" wire next to balun? It has a FT240 choke at 17 foot mark on coax feed. The 17 foot coax shield transmitted the signal? And, how did the receiver hear anything? It seemed normal.

Post subject: Re: Transmit, no antenna
PostPosted: Nov Sat 14, 2020 5:01 pm 

Jm,
That is really strange and 15 over! Propagation must have been really good, but it still seems impossible. I am not a fan of end fed wire antennas, but there must have been capacitive coupling to something-gutters? What happened when you actually hooked the wire back up?

Propagation on 80 meters has been up and down. Good one evening and terrible the next. I check into a nightly net on 80.

73s, Scott, N6CIC

PostPosted: Nov Sat 14, 2020 6:43 pm 

Scott10k wrote:
Jm,
That is really strange and 15 over! Propagation must have been really good, but it still seems impossible. I am not a fan of end fed wire antennas, but there must have been capacitive coupling to something-gutters? What happened when you actually hooked the wire back up?

Propagation on 80 meters has been up and down. Good one evening and terrible the next. I check into a nightly net on 80.

73s, Scott, N6CIC

After hooking up antenna I had to retune the transmitter output network to get full power out. I think the coax shield with choke was the antenna thru the balun. Contact was 40 miles away using ground wave.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 14, 2020 7:45 pm 

Jim,
You're just our radio miracle man. You never bought a radio that didn't work and you transmit a 15 over signal without an antenna. :shock: I guess when you're good, good things happen. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Nov Sat 14, 2020 8:18 pm 

Mike Bracey wrote:
Jim,
You're just our radio miracle man. You never bought a radio that didn't work and you transmit a 15 over signal without an antenna. :shock: I guess when you're good, good things happen. :mrgreen:

It is true I never bought any vintage receiver or transmitter that did not work well. But, I am sure some think I am full of BS.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 15, 2020 11:48 pm 

I recently had a cw qso with a station in Europe while my tuner was in “bypass” mode. Only after the contact was done did I discover my swr was 3 or 4:1...so I was probably putting out 40 watts or less. I thought that was cool, until I read what Jim did! :D

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 12:30 am 

Once I was listening to a 10m net and considered checking in. So I switched in the dummy load and checked the output of the rig. Upon switching back to receive, the net control station said for the guy tuning up, the frequency is in use. So I checked in with the dummy load, asking sheepishly if they could copy me. And it was a sheilded military surplus load at that.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 12:52 am 

I was testing a Heathkit SB-104 in a basement on a dummy load on 10 meters with the transmitter in the 100 milliwatt position. I heard a station call back and talked with him.
Another one. While in MI I called CQ on 2 meter SSB and briefly contacted another ham in New Zealand. Contact only lasted about 15 seconds. It may have been a record, should have asked immediately for a QSL card

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 1:03 am 

I suppose you could call this experience "Antenna, no transmitter" :D

Back in '75 or '76, I was working on a new amplifier out in the garage. The ARRL CW DX contest was occurring at the same time. I had my R-599 monitoring KH6IJ on 15m while working, on a random wire running through the garage rafters. Nose (KH6IJ's name) always sent fairly slowly and deliberately, around 18 WPM or so, while those calling were often at 30 or 35. After awhile, I realized Nose was getting louder and louder, so I glanced at the S-meter: he was hitting an indicated 40 dB over 9, not at all unusual for the California-to-Hawaii path on 15 or 10m back then.

I got this wild idee: I grabbed my old Heathkit VF-1 off a shelf, hooked it to a power supply, then ran upstairs to my bedroom shack and pushed the coax for my 80m inverted vee out the window. I had a hunk of coax on that thing around 100 feet too long, so I thought it might reach all the way up to the garage in the front of the house; it did. So I hooked it up to the VF-1 with a cliplead then zero-beated Nose with the VFO on 40m. But there was no way to key the VF-1 out in the garage :cry:

So I grabbed the cliplead and used it to make and break the connection to the inverted vee coax connector. The load of the coax and inv vee was sufficient as to pull the VFO off frequency easily, but I could still hear Nose with it running and connected to the antenna, he was that strong. I waited a bit until the few callers had worked him, then tried calling him by keying with the clip lead. It took a few minutes but I kept at it because I could hear that Nose was apparently hearing me, but couldn't quite make me out; every now and then, he seemed to take just a few extra moments to tune between his CQs. Eventually, he copied my call, then we had a completed QSO :P By then, he'd faded down a bit to just 20 over 9, still a rock-crushing signal. I wrote down the QSO for the record, then later put it in my log upstairs.

The next week, while tuning around up in my shack, I ran across Nose again just working the bunch on 20m CW, I think. I called him, then told him what I was using when we'd last worked the weekend before in the contest. Being Nose, he just replied "R TU QRZ KH6IJ KH6IJ" and that was that. Nose didn't seem to like ragchewing very much.

SteveH K0XP
ex-WB6PKA

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 1:09 am 

jimbenedict wrote:
I was testing a Heathkit SB-104 in a basement on a dummy load on 10 meters with the transmitter in the 100 milliwatt position. I heard a station call back and talked with him.

Uh-huh. Did he tell you he was across the basement, using his walkie-talkie? :D
jimbenedict wrote:
Another one. While in MI I called CQ on 2 meter SSB and briefly contacted another ham in New Zealand. Contact only lasted about 15 seconds. It may have been a record, should have asked immediately for a QSL card

Yeahrightsure :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Par for the course on somma the linear satellites :lol:

SteveH

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 1:29 am 

SteveH wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

Uh-huh. Did he tell you he was across the basement, using his walkie-talkie? :D
jimbenedict wrote:

Yeahrightsure :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Par for the course on somma the linear satellites :lol:

SteveH

Wrong.
2 meter- What is a 15 second 2 meter contact? Meteor. Ever heard of that? I doubt it.
10 meter- Lowest power record.
So just what’s possible with QRP? Are you going to be stuck making contacts across town? Or can you really reach out and touch someone across the planet? We’ve already seen that a Canada to Germany contact with 5 watts is possible, but how far can we stretch the limits of power and distance? As it turns out, pretty far. The current QRP miles per watt record is 1,650 miles from Oregon to Alaska on the 10-meter band using 1 microwatt! That’s the equivalent of 1.6 billion miles per watt.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 2:27 pm 

First of all, all the sats I am aware of work cross band, thus no two way thru on 2M. Even a meteor scatter sig would not link 2M to NZ from Michigan at the altitudes that they ionize. Yes, with no confirmation it is a fish story, is all. Or someone yanking your chain, which has been known to happen. Then again I worked Aus. on 40 SSB here with a very low dipole and 100W. That would be well into my category of impossible. I can sometimes hear weak europeans on 40 SSB but not get back to them. I don't chase DX on 40 at all. But in my instance I got the card to prove.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 5:22 pm 

wazz wrote:
First of all, all the sats I am aware of work cross band, thus no two way thru on 2M. Even a meteor scatter sig would not link 2M to NZ from Michigan at the altitudes that they ionize. Yes, with no confirmation it is a fish story, is all. Or someone yanking your chain, which has been known to happen. Then again I worked Aus. on 40 SSB here with a very low dipole and 100W. That would be well into my category of impossible. I can sometimes hear weak europeans on 40 SSB but not get back to them. I don't chase DX on 40 at all. But in my instance I got the card to prove.

No satellites on 144.200 (the calling frequency). I think two meteors with reflection off the ocean for double hop. Or, someone did pull my chain.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 7:41 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
2 meter- What is a 15 second 2 meter contact? Meteor. Ever heard of that? I doubt it.

See https://www.qsl.net/w8wn/wd8kvd/wd8kvd2.html

SteveH K0XP

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 5:16 am 

The previous QRP recorded miles per watt was 1,650 miles on the 10-meter band from Oregon to Alaska.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 20, 2020 2:25 am 

I noticed that too: I was starting to think I was having a bad radio day.I am sure at least 1 of the many alignments I did to a set was due to things alignment I did was just from testing it and thinking I botched the alignment. In the last week or so lots of noise making listening difficult.

Scott10k wrote:
Jm,

73s, Scott, N6CIC