Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 12:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ID help please
PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 8:05 pm 

Hello, I seen this receiver on FBMP. I'm trying to figure out what it is. Looks very high quality back in the day. The name "Radio M??? Engineers" isn't familiar to me. I find it odd that there is no writing on any knob on the case to indicate what each knob/switch does. If it is homebrew, it is a very well built one.

Thanks!
Richard

Attachments:
black radio-1.jpg
black radio-1.jpg [ 279.01 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]
black radio-2.png
black radio-2.png [ 365.88 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

Post subject: Re: ID help please
PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 8:22 pm 

An RME 69. Some of the other early receivers didn't mark the controls either including some of the Breting sets. The model name supposedly signifies 6 bands, 9 tubes. Later models could include a noise silencer which added extra tubes.

Below are its predecessor 9D and successor 70 models

Rodger WQ9E

Attachments:
9D.jpg
9D.jpg [ 420.14 KiB | Viewed 256 times ]
RME 70.JPG
RME 70.JPG [ 233.72 KiB | Viewed 256 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 8:32 pm 

So would this be considered a desirable unit for most collectors? Just trying to decide on this one or another one. Too many radios for sale, too little money! :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Mon 16, 2020 8:54 pm 

It was probably the most important product to come out of RME. They stayed in business many years afterwards and brought out some other good receivers but the 69 was what made them famous.

Performance wise, it is good but it came to market in 1935 and technology was changing very rapidly during that decade so performance also changed quickly. The build quality of RME was similar to most of the Hallicrafters sets of that era while National and Hammarlund were a clear step above in component quality and mechanical design.

I live about 30 miles from the original RME factory site and I have most of the models they produced, they are interesting sets and if you plan to own only a single RME then the 69 is probably the one to own. But from that era, a National HRO was a better set in terms of performance as is the Super Pro series from Hammarlund.

Below is the Hammarlund Comet Pro (predecessor to the Super Pro line) and a pair of Breting sets that also lack control labels. If you only owned one receiver and used it every day then the lack of labels wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the modern equivalent are the current sets with tiny buttons that provide multiple functions depending upon whether you push and release the button, hold it for a second, hit a function key first, etc.

Rodger

Attachments:
Comet Pro.JPG
Comet Pro.JPG [ 325.05 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]
Breting 12.JPG
Breting 12.JPG [ 1001.05 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]
Breting 14.JPG
Breting 14.JPG [ 796.87 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]