Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 1:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters SX-62A Under Consideration: Any Deal Breakers?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 3:57 am 

FIRST LOOK AT THE RADIO:
Any deal breakers here? I'll need to invest in a capacitor kit and a new dial glass. $100 plus.

Chassis appears to be mostly original:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv13x5eji6h8w ... k.jpg?dl=0

Front Panel Not too bad. Dial string, broken. How difficult is it to restring? I've never done one.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjjf6c2ictnmq ... l.jpg?dl=0

Wires coming out of power transformer feel/look a little on the brittle side. Safe to use as is?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/juribp3d3wpeg ... s.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for any comments! Bill A. KG6NRV

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters SX-62A Under Consideration: Any Deal Break
PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 5:12 am 

No price. Is it free?

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 5:29 am 

Not for someone relatively new. I would say this is a "high risk" project and perhaps a money pit. Did someone screw up a restoration attempt?

There's a dial glass cover missing too. Unless you -really- want a SX-62 and can't find another one, otherwise, I wouldn't get it.

Last edited by AJJ on Nov Sat 21, 2020 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 5:50 am 

You should verify the price and availability of that painted glass dial. Without it, you have a pile of parts. Your estimate may be waaaay low.

Under the chassis, I see a resistor with 1930's BED (body-end-dot) markings. Someone has worked here before, using scrap parts rather than new....... I also see many wax paper caps darkened by overheating - suggesting that there may be an equal number of resistors that have been overheated and may need replacing.

IMHOp: I wouldn't haul this radio home if it was free !

-Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 6:25 am 

@Jim, I paid $40 for it from a local ham about a year ago; it's been sitting in my garage since then along with matching speaker.
@Chuck, the replacement dial is $60 at Radio Daze. Yeah, I see some melted wax for sure. This radio got plenty of use.
@AJJ, the radio is complete, I have both glass panels. No idea of the history of the rig.

Yes, there's a high potential for failure here; this being my third project. But I do have a sweet spot for Hallicrafters, as my very first shortwave radio bore that brand name. That was 50+ years ago, and I never lost the fascination with radio. I'd love to have this as my workbench radio, driving the big Hallicrafters speaker that came with it.

Perhaps I bring it up slowly on the variac and test for shorts, check voltages, run the tubes through the tester and if all of that is promising start investing in parts. The cap kit is $60 https://hayseedhamfest.com/products/sx- ... re-cap-kit

Dealing with the broken dial string has me more worried than any other aspect of the job.

Thanks guys ~Bill A. / KG6NRV

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 3:02 pm 

I have been through a few of these and their SX-42 sibling, they aren't that hard to work on but they are complex so there are a lot of parts. Just plan on taking your time going through it a section at a time.

All of the old wax paper caps need to go, there are a few in the front end that are more difficult to reach but very doable. The side panel on the front end side comes off easily and will make it easier to access some of the caps.

You may run into one or two IF transformers with bad mica caps inside but it isn't very common with these sets. If so, it will be obvious during alignment when there is no peak or a very shallow and broad peak for that IF "can". You can leave the IF transformer soldered in place and remove the can to replace the cap. But bad mica caps are not common in these sets, other than in the discriminator transformer (used only for FM reception), so don't do a shotgun replacement of mica caps.

Some of the higher value low wattage resistors have usually gone high in value. Check the resistors while you are going through the set, no need to disconnect them to test because you are looking for the value going higher instead of lower and most of them will not be shunted with anything that require them to have one end disconnected for checking.

Glad the dial glass is still available for these, the painting is often cracked on them but your set clearly was worse than most. Make sure that the correct 150 mil dial bulbs and not 250 mil are used in the set, the 250 mil bulb is not correct and the extra heat exacerbates the damage. The replacement may be largely immune to heat but don't test that theory.

The dial cord isn't bad on this one. NO dial cord is ever a pleasure to replace but the SX-62 isn't horrible like some sets.

Makes sure before you replace the cord that the dial calibration adjustment system is working smoothly. It often needs cleaning and lubrication. HINT: The SX-62 has no fine tuning or band spread tuning so the rate is fast on the shortwave bands. I found as a novice that the dial calibration (which moves the pointer mount assembly back and forth with respect to the dial glass for calibration) very slightly changes the operating frequency of the receiver. You can use this as a fine tuning control when trying to use the crystal filter for CW operation :)

In restored condition, it is a beautiful receiver with very nice audio. Unlike its close SX-42 relative, it wasn't really meant for ham radio use with its simplified tuning system and controls (no front panel BFO pitch or crystal filter phasing controls) but it does have a 500 Khz. calibrator which its more expensive and complex sibling lacks.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 5:18 pm 

This appears to be a brand-new set. You will need to replace the capacitors underneath but the layout is open and
no dis-assembly will be required to do this (ie SX-28). There may be a few resistors that are out of spec, change those.

It's clean and basically unmolested. Mechanical work for the dial will have to be done but if the parts are available it's
just work.

My vote: do it. Just be sure that the finished product will be what you want to have in your collection.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 7:36 pm 

Looks pretty clean to me. I don't necessarily think darkened caps = high heat. The transformer wires look fine. Don't forget the age of these radios. Sure, it is obvious a resistor has been replaced, but it is far from being molested.

If you have the missing front panel escutcheon, I say go for it. If you get it running decently, then purchase the dial glass.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 7:57 pm 

My SX-62 was in much worse shape, after a mouse got in under the chassis. It left behind some mouse droppings, but more importantly, it chewed through some of the band coils and the dial cord. i was fortunate that a friend had a scrap chassis that had good coils that I was able to pick up for a small fee.

As far as restoring this one, even considering the dial glass issue, I would go for it. It really doesn't look that bad to me. Mine looked worse, especially the case, which I still have not done yet. I need to find someone to bead or media blast the case. It was in pretty bad shape.

It may not be a good candidate for an unexperienced newbie, but it is pretty straight forward. The biggest issue for me was getting into the front end, along the side of the chassis. Even with the side panel removed, one needs to be a contortionist to get into some of those caps and resistors that may need replacement, but I have seen worse.

Once finished, it is a great player, and they look great restored, especially with that front panel. I am enjoying using mine now, sitting on the bench on it's side, waiting for me to get the case cleaned up and painted.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2020 9:47 pm 

I would take it for that. Nice little project but I am more of a console set type (like SX-43/42/25).

This site looks like they sell aftermarket faceplates for it:

https://www.radiodaze.com/dials-glass-20/

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 12:02 am 

:) If you're at the skill level to restore a SX-62, you should be able to shop for capacitors as individual parts. At about 30 cents each film capacitor and $1.50 for electrolytic, you can save some money by not buying a kit.

I wouldn't commit any money or effort to dial glass or cosmetics until the radio works. Before spending any more time on it, I would (with all the tubes removed) put the thing on a dim bulb tester to make sure the transformer is not shorted before doing anything else.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 1:30 am 

Great advice; thanks all around, guys.
@AJJ - I'm with you, not putting in any cash quite yet. The transformer checks out OK on a VOM, about 20 ohms across the primary, which I'm told is about what to expect.

My plan is to remove the rectifier tube (do I really need to take all the tubes out?) and check for excessive current draw (over 1 amp) on my isolated variac, as I bring up the voltage very slowly. Is that a valid plan to check for shorts or other problems?

If that's good next item was to replace some of the "high risk" caps, such as the bypass caps in the RF section, and caps associated with the tone control. I'm told they can cause collateral damage.

The plastic power cord grommet broke, when I tried to extract the defunct power cord. Seems like over the years the insulation bonded to the plastic. I guess I can find a standard rubber grommet somewhere.

Buying a cap kit does cost a bit more than ordering individually, but I'm told it comes with a stuffed electrolytic can. Also, ordering this way will save me a boatload of time. Or should I say a boat-anchor-load of time? heheh. I've filled out parts orders for a couple of small radios and it is rather time consuming, at least for me. It's a bit easier when I order them from Sal, compared to using the Mouser website, but it does take a while. At some point, I'll probably invest in some actual inventory for caps.

- Thanks again, gentlemen! 73 de Bill Alpert/ KG6NRV

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 8:23 am 

First Power Up Results - More than I could have hoped for!

Tubes tested ok, except for 6SG7, which my tube tester doesn't seem to support.

Powered up with rectifier tube pulled. Dial/Band lights work and measured 529 volts to the plate of the rectifier. Low current draw, barely registering.

Put rectifier tube back in, and ramped it up slowly. Finally at full voltage I was drawing just under 1 amp and I was able to tune both AM and FM stations. Band switch quite noisy and contacts a bit funky. Tone seems amazing, very promising.

Seems like a thumbs up.

Last edited by billalpert on Nov Sun 22, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 2:45 pm 

It looked like a thumbs up set. Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 3:59 pm 

Don't be tempted to run it further until you replace all of those old was paper caps along with the power supply filter cap and audio stage cathode bypass cap. There are a number of capacitors that could fail and take out an expensive power transformer or audio output transformer turning this into a very expensive project.

It sounds like you have a good basis for a nice SX-62A once it is restored.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 5:42 pm 

What Rodger said!

Here's the link to a good article on the restoration of SX-62. My only disagreement with the article is this: i would be reluctant to spray anything on the bandswitch wafers. I prefer to use a Q-tip moistened with contact cleaner to clean just the metal contacts.

http://w2dtc.com/w2dtc-sx-62-receiver-page.htm

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 5:53 pm 

Ditto on what Rodger and Joe said: I use DeOxIt and the like SPARINGLY and only when the alternative is non-functioning. I like the Q-tip method best when I can get to everything but DeOxIt F5 (Fader and plastic) seems to not harm the wafer switches and completely evaporates away after a while leaving clean contacts and un-compromized wafers. But I am very judicious in using the stuff to only try to keep it on the contact metal surfaces. It can and will cause minute capacitive shifts where you don't want it if used wrong or the circuit is particularly sensitive to its usage.

I had a repair today that I did use spray on a corroded rotary switch but did not take the time to spray it on the other 5 switches and pots.

The SX-62 is one set I do have my eye on acquiring. I can tell you that restoring a double conversion, dual band AM/FM like the SX-43 that you will have your work cut out for you :-). It won't be like working on a S-19 and that's for sure.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 6:05 pm 

billalpert wrote:
@Jim, I paid $40 for it from a local ham about a year ago; it's been sitting in my garage since then along with matching speaker.
@Chuck, the replacement dial is $60 at Radio Daze. Yeah, I see some melted wax for sure. This radio got plenty of use.
@AJJ, the radio is complete, I have both glass panels. No idea of the history of the rig.

Yes, there's a high potential for failure here; this being my third project. But I do have a sweet spot for Hallicrafters, as my very first shortwave radio bore that brand name. That was 50+ years ago, and I never lost the fascination with radio. I'd love to have this as my workbench radio, driving the big Hallicrafters speaker that came with it.

Perhaps I bring it up slowly on the variac and test for shorts, check voltages, run the tubes through the tester and if all of that is promising start investing in parts. The cap kit is $60 https://hayseedhamfest.com/products/sx- ... re-cap-kit

Dealing with the broken dial string has me more worried than any other aspect of the job.

Thanks guys ~Bill A. / KG6NRV

It is worth $40. They sell for $200-$350 in good operating and cosmetic condition on ebay.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 6:38 pm 

Attachment:
powersupply.jpg
powersupply.jpg [ 386.68 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]

Getting ready to order caps. Could someone please confirm where the X and Y safety caps should be placed?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 7:19 pm 

Sets like this one get a properly wired 3 wire cord when they cross my bench. Hot/black/load lead goes to the fuse and then the power switch to the power transformer, bypass capacitor after the fuse. White/neutral goes to the other connection and is not broken by any switch or fuse. Put your other line bypass cap on any convenient tie point for this lead.

The green/ground lead should be mechanically sure and securely soldered to a solid ground point.

Having a fuse or switch in the neutral lead is against NEC and an especially bad idea with metal communications receivers where a properly grounded item is often on the same bench/desk. If the receiver isn't properly grounded and a failure causes the chassis to be hot then touching the receiver and another grounded object causes the owner to become part of the circuit.

The old safety adage when this gear was new was the ground wire is the first to be connected when installing the gear and the last to be disconnected when taking it out of service. A properly installed three wire line cord is good insurance against someone not following that wise old advice.

Rodger WQ9E