Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 1:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters SX-62A Under Consideration: Any Deal Break
PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 7:59 pm 

rsingl wrote:
Sets like this one get a properly wired 3 wire cord when they cross my bench. Hot/black/load lead goes to the fuse and then the power switch to the power transformer, bypass capacitor after the fuse. White/neutral goes to the other connection and is not broken by any switch or fuse. Put your other line bypass cap on any convenient tie point for this lead.

The green/ground lead should be mechanically sure and securely soldered to a solid ground point.

Having a fuse or switch in the neutral lead is against NEC and an especially bad idea with metal communications receivers where a properly grounded item is often on the same bench/desk. If the receiver isn't properly grounded and a failure causes the chassis to be hot then touching the receiver and another grounded object causes the owner to become part of the circuit.

@Roger: To confirm, you saying the fuse should be moved to be in series with the switch? And does the X cap go on this lead? The Y cap on the neutral? Thanks ~Bill

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 8:27 pm 

You do want the switch and the fuse in the same lead, the fuse before the switch.

Y capacitors are used from either side of the line to ground and are what you use to replace both existing line bypass types in the SX-62. X capacitors are designed for across the line (from hot to neutral) rather than from either side to ground and aren't used in most vintage gear.

There are quite a few choices now that are rated for both line to ground and line to line use so if buying in quantity look for those if you expect to be working on gear that has line to line capacitors.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 8:52 pm 

@Rodger: Could you possibly help me identify the line bypass caps in the schematics. I want to be sure I put the safety caps in the correct place. Thank you for all of the safety tips! 73 de Bill Alpert/ KG6NRV

Power supply section:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl4hwgijf2mq8 ... y.jpg?dl=0

Complete schematic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clfma9d8f3pmh ... c.pdf?dl=0

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 10:10 pm 

Hi Bill,

C114 and C115 are the two line bypass caps that need to be "safety" types for line bypass use.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 7:10 am 

@Rodger, thank you!

While I wait for parts to come in, time to tackle the metal cabinets.

The black (or is it dark grey??) and metallic finish on the rig case isn't terrible, but found a local powder coater to rehab for an inexpensive cost. Same for the R-46 speaker.

The grey front panel is somewhat faded in spots: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjjf6c2ictnmq ... l.jpg?dl=0
A fresh coat of paint would be nice here too, but that would involve remaking the front panel decals. It's not metal, so I'm wondering if paint will properly bond.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2