Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 1:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit sb 102 cw key hookup .
PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 4:40 pm 

Hi everyone looking for some tips here i recently got a sb 102 up and running and finally got it on the air this weekend . I really would like to use it on cw with an hd-1410. The problem i am having is i tune it up per the manual and try to set the vox as the manual say`s . Sometimes i can get the relay`s to trip but most of the time i can not . Does the key jack just need to be cleaned possibly ?

I had an idea but not sure if it would work or not , so i thought i would ask it it here .Seeing how it works nicely on ssb could i just make a connector to fit the mic jack. And use it on the ptt setting with a key instead of a mic . ??? I like to experiment not sure if it that would work or not . Thanks again .

Post subject: Re: Heathkit sb 102 cw key hookup .
PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 6:19 pm 

HAMmer wrote:
Hi everyone looking for some tips here i recently got a sb 102 up and running and finally got it on the air this weekend . I really would like to use it on cw with an hd-1410. The problem i am having is i tune it up per the manual and try to set the vox as the manual say`s . Sometimes i can get the relay`s to trip but most of the time i can not . Does the key jack just need to be cleaned possibly ?
Do you hear the sidetone oscillator?

If you are not hearing the sidetone oscillator and the Vox doesn't trip, then yes it is a key connection issue.

If you are hearing the sidetone and the Vox doesn't trip then you are having a Vox issue.

Sometimes the problem is the Anti-Vox set too high. If so try with the Anti-Vox set all the way counter clockwise at first.

In answer to your other question, yes you could actually press the push-to-talk button on your microphone to force the relays to close while in the CW position.

Just curious if the Vox works OK for SSB?

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 7:19 pm 

Curtis so i have been messing around with it a bit this morning. To answer your question i do not hear the cw side tone from the 102 . I am able to get it working with the hd 1410 but i have to set the speed at a pretty high level way higher then i can copy . If i keep it a slower speed the relay`s won`t stay energized .

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 8:22 pm 

HAMmer wrote:
Curtis so i have been messing around with it a bit this morning. To answer your question i do not hear the cw side tone from the 102.
There is a volume adjustment inside near center in the back (circled).
Attachment:
SB-102 Sidetone Volume.png
SB-102 Sidetone Volume.png [ 591.52 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]
If it is turned up and you are not hearing a side tone when Keying the Vox will not work. The Vox uses the side tone to trigger it. This sounds like an issue with the side tone oscillator.

Note, the control does not have to be turned up for the Vox to work, but if it is turned up and you don't hear the sidetone, then chances are the sidetone is not being generated and therefore won't activate the Vox. You might just be getting a click every time the oscillator is supposed to turn on but no tone to hold the relays on.

The Phase Shift circuit (P.E.C 84-22) for the sidetone oscillator can fail http://www.ka2c.com/heathkit-sb-101/ but can also be replaced with five 500 pF caps and four 470K resistors. These could be installed on a piece of vector board and sit where the original circuit was located. It is possible to be sure that the oscillator is not working prior to going to the trouble of replacing anything.

Curtis Eickerman

Last edited by Eickerman on Nov Mon 23, 2020 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 8:50 pm 

To keep the relay energized, you need to increase the VOX delay adjustment. The SB-102 uses "semi-break in" CW keying and you need to increase the delay setting to prevent it from constantly cycling.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2020 8:56 pm 

Hammer, the manual describes how the CW keying works, and the adjustments required, very clearly and thoroughly. Don't you have the manual? Are you reading it?? You will save quite a bit of time and get things working much more quickly by doing so.

The theory of operation of the SB-100, SB-101 and SB-102, and probably even the HW-100 and HW-101, insofar as CW keying is concerned, is very similar in each case with the possible exception of component designations. ANY of those manuals should be able to explain to you what's going on and how it works, and be sufficient as to understand what's working or not working and where to look for possible problems.

SteveH

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 3:36 am 

Thank`s everyone for the tips i did get it working again ! I completely forgot about the volume control for the side tone i felt a little silly on that on that one :oops: thanks again for the help much appreciated :D

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 4:12 pm 

HAMmer wrote:
Thank`s everyone for the tips i did get it working again !
I'm glad, but for future information for others, what turned out to be the problem with the Vox/relay action?

Curtis Eickerman