Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 28, 2021 1:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: internal speaker for Hammarlund radios
PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 5:43 am 

Since I don't have a clock in my HQ-170a I was wondering about an internal speaker. Normally I wouldn't consider installing a tiny 3" speaker because of bad fidelity. But with the advent of proper EQ and specially designed enclosures I have heard suprisingly good sound out of small speakers. I figure I have room for a long tube if needed because its clear behind the clock face all the way to the back of the cabinet. But, if it gets too good and loud it might vibrate the tuning mechanisms so some kind of shock mounting might be needed. Has anyone run across something that might be worth trying? It would obviously be a step down in quality from my matching external speaker but sometimes I prefer a less full range sound especially when listening for longer periods of time or want it playing in the backround. My bench is full so an internal speaker would be better than another outboard speaker.

Post subject: Re: internal speaker for Hammarlund radios
PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 3:37 pm 

Here's a little secret: Look for old Motorola mobile under dash speakers. one like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/203119810522

Motorola used Jensen speakers. For the size they sound great.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 3:58 pm 

Tube type communications receivers typically don't have an internal speaker in order to avoid microphonics from tubes and frequency determining components.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 4:06 pm 

rsingl wrote:
Tube type communications receivers typically don't have an internal speaker in order to avoid microphonics from tubes and frequency determining components.

Rodger WQ9E

And I remember some of those Hammarlunds would really ping if you tapped the cabinet when copying CW!!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 4:44 pm 

But there were also tips about adding little speakers, not for regular use, but if you went somewhere, yiu didn't have to move the speaker too.

Then transistor receivers came along, and they stayed with external speakers. But tiny boxes, likely plastic. But if it was going to be a "communication receiver", it had to have an external speaker.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 4:56 pm 

Some of the transistor types, especially the early PLL/VCO synthesizer type, were very prone to frequency modulation from vibration so the internal speaker could still be an issue. Many people complained about the built in speaker in a lot of radios sounding tinny for such an expensive receiver but I suspect part of that was intentional to reduce response in the lower frequency range which would heavily vibrate the cabinet and all components.

The later generation DDS receivers are far less prone to this problem. Damping material was used for the vibration sensitive VCO components but that brought its own issues with degradation over time as seen with the Kenwood "dots only on display" issue.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 8:02 pm 

Sorry, I was thinking of the low end import receivers in the late sixties. Radio Shack's DX-150 and Lafayette's HA-600. The external speakers look like they are for show.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 8:25 pm 

I've had a couple of HQ series radios that had a speaker in placed of the clock. You won't like what you get. Look for an external speaker for that radio. I've got replacement 6 X 9 inch ovals that work well with that radio, if you want to fabricate your own box. You be much more pleased with the result.

616-677-3706

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2020 11:37 pm 

W8ZV wrote:
I've had a couple of HQ series radios that had a speaker in placed of the clock. You won't like what you get. Look for an external speaker for that radio. I've got replacement 6 X 9 inch ovals that work well with that radio, if you want to fabricate your own box. You be much more pleased with the result.

from my first post... "It would obviously be a step down in quality from my matching external speaker but sometimes I prefer a less full range sound especially when listening for longer periods of time or want it playing in the backround."

PostPosted: Nov Tue 24, 2020 3:12 pm 

from my first post... "It would obviously be a step down in quality from my matching external speaker but sometimes I prefer a less full range sound especially when listening for longer periods of time or want it playing in the backround."[/quote]

Guess I missed that to begin with. My bad.

616-677-3706

PostPosted: Nov Tue 24, 2020 7:38 pm 

All is forgiven.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 7:17 pm 

forumuser wrote:
All is forgiven.

You could try shock mounting something like a 6"X9" oval speaker in the cabinet lid. You might get microphonics, and you might not.

John

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 9:31 pm 

I'm looking to do something that won't butcher the cabinet and also give me narrower communications quality sound.

I remembered finding this small 2 inch external speaker in a box of misc stuff I bought at an auction last year. I plugged it into the headphone jack to try it and it sounds good enough for me. I'll use it when I have the radio running in the backround while I do other things. Its less intrusive with the smaller sound instead of the full range oomph I get from the large matching external speaker which I'll use when sitting at the bench and "playing radio".

I'll remove the clock cover insert and see if I can make use of the existing screws to mount the speaker. Easy to revert if I change my mind or sell the radio. It sounds good enough that I abandoned the idea of tailoring the sound with a little eq'ed amp.

Attachments:
little speaker.jpg
little speaker.jpg [ 169.29 KiB | Viewed 417 times ]