Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 16, 2021 12:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Found a Hallicrafters SX-100
PostPosted: Nov Tue 24, 2020 4:45 pm 

Boat anchors continue to find me....

An old ham friend had to go into assisted living, and gifted me his old SX-100. It's going to need a complete restoration. On a quick examination, the main things that I am going to need are a few knobs. Are those available?

Post subject: Re: Found a Hallicrafters SX-100
PostPosted: Nov Tue 24, 2020 5:22 pm 

I had one of those in the 90's. I sold it and I wouldn't mind having it back now. They cost a lot more now then they did in the 90's!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 24, 2020 5:27 pm 

That will be a nice receiver when you get it going Tim. I used one with my Ranger/Desk KW station for a couple of years after I decided the HRO-50 that Johnson used in their advertising for the Desk KW didn't provide enough selectivity for difficult AM operation.

The SX-100 is a great all mode general coverage receiver. It follows the SX-96 which was a lower cost replacement for the SX-88 allowing most of its feature set to be retained in a receiver priced low enough to be commercially feasible. The SX-100 receives AM one sideband at a time and the 5 Khz. selectivity is equivalent to 10 Khz. selectivity in a conventional AM receiver.

Different style knobs were used across the life of the SX-100 with early production looking like the SX-96 knobs with the added small control knobs for the calibrator, T notch filter, and antenna trimmer. Just be careful when mixing and matching that you end up with a set of matched knobs. Later SX-100 main tuning and bandspread knobs have a marked skirt around the knobs.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 1:41 am 

Great radio and a really good price. I have one that I bought many years ago from a friend, now a
silent key. He bought it new so I am the second owner. He told me that he brought it with him to
college so he would have something to listen to.

Al

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 2:03 am 

I also have one, they are nice little receivers but a bit flimsy mechanically. It'll serve you well when you've finished repairing it.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 1:33 pm 

My SX-100 is a great receiver with many useful features. The only complaint I had was annoyingly high distortion on AM signals. Then someone here suggested clipping out the .047 uf cap (C81) in the noise limiter circuit. Suddenly, the distortion went away! However, the cap is needed for the noise limiter to work correctly. So I replaced the SPST noise limiter switch with a DPDT and wired it accordingly. I understand that several Hallicrafters models use this noise limiter circuit and have AM distortion with the noise limiter switched off.

Attachment:
SX-100 ANL.png
SX-100 ANL.png [ 137.02 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Wed 25, 2020 1:47 pm 

I did the same ad Dave on some of my hallicrafters receivers. Here is a schematic, of what I did with my SX-101 a while back. Interestingly enough, even the schematic part numbers are the same.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 1:22 am 

The knobs for my SX-100 MK 2, S/N 233099, are black, and straight, as opposed to being tapered (with a larger diameter toward the outside). I've seen some on epay with gray knobs, however, like the SX-110 has. I've seen both styles on epay for a totally ripoff and ridiculous $20 EACH. OTOH, I have yet to find just one of the tapered kind that I need for my SX-101A, shown below. I'm sorry, but I just can't remember whether the skirt on the -100 knobs unscrews, as it does on the -101A, but I would think so. In your case, that doesn't matter much since you're missing the whole knob. For me, I just need one of the smaller knobs and I can swap the skirt. To know which skirts you need, try going by the manual's drawings of the front panel.

I make careful notes and maybe drawings of all my knobs (such as any red line markings), then run all my knobs through an ultrasonic bath, wash em off good, then use a sharpened toothpick to draw the now-missing red line back on the knob using red nail polish (I was waiting for a snide comment from the clerk who rang up my nail polish; but she didn't say anything. I suppose it's no longer uncommon for men to buy nail polish :shock: ).
Attachment:
File comment: Note the knobs are tapered: larger toward the outside. Most Hallicrafters knobs (at least before the SX-101A) are not.
Needed_Knobs-a.jpg
Needed_Knobs-a.jpg [ 121.52 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]

SteveH

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 2:45 am 

The knobs on my SX-100 are exactly like the knobs on this web image which claims to be the MK-II version.

Attachment:
Hallicrafters SX-100.jpg
Hallicrafters SX-100.jpg [ 383.68 KiB | Viewed 477 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 4:30 am 

The SX-100 is a lot of receiver in a light weight package.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 4:36 am 

At this point, I will need one of the small knobs at the top, and one of the lower control knobs. One of the tuning knobs is a bit damaged, so I will be looking for that one as well. Based on the serial number, I have an early one.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 02, 2020 1:27 am 

I really like my sx-100 for it's time period. It really picks up stations very well. The only faults I notice are physical build quality being a bit flimsy compared to other boatanchors that weigh twice as much! A great performer that could have been built a bit stronger.

Ron KC8LBF