Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Mon 19, 2021 12:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammarlund HQ 160
PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 11:37 am 

I have just purchased a Hammarlund HQ 160. Is there anyone here with experience on the HQ series of radios?
I have not received it yet but curious if this forum is a good place to ask for help. I have read the factory manual and am excited to spend many Winter evenings with it.

Post subject: Re: Hammarlund HQ 160
PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 12:21 pm 

GM John, and welcome.

Congratulations on your new toy. Hammarlund made many very nice receivers, and there are folks here that can answer any question you may have, regarding just about any radio ever made. Ask away.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:05 pm 

I have an HQ-160 and it is one of my favorites. I especially like the flexibility of using the variable frequency Q-multiplier in conjunction with the "Slot" (notch) filter. AVC is not employed when using the BFO for SSB reception, an inconvenience. I think there is a mod for this but I haven't tried it.

Mine has a curious problem where the local oscillator is frequency modulated on the upper bands if there is a permanent magnet located near the cabinet bottom causing a 60 Hz garbling of SSB and CW reception. (It took me a while to discover the cause of this...an extendable, magnetic parts retriever in a drawer under the table surface.)

While there are some paper caps that need to be changed along with the electrolytics, it uses mostly disc ceramic and mica caps so restoration is relatively easy. But be aware that this radio uses IF transformers that can have silver-mica migration disease (SMD). There are two, dual frequency IF's that had this problem in my set. I replaced the bad internal caps with external fixed micas.

I have also had experience with it's big brother, an HQ-180, but I like my HQ-160 better. It's a great wintertime band cruiser.

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:12 pm 

I owned a HQ-160. It is a very good receiver. and a cut above most tube receivers. Only the Collins with the mechanical filters are a little more selective. It is before Hammarlund designed the restricted audio trick on the HQ-170 and HQ-180 that most remove. It can be subject to IF mica disease so if it is not highly sensitive you have to make the repairs. But, it is not likely to occur.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:12 pm 

The HQ-160 is a great receiver and if you combine the HC-10 external SSB adapter with it you have one of the best receiving setups offered by Hammarlund. Not only does the HC-10 offer improved SSB/CW reception with full AGC operation, it provides the low frequency highly selective IF, detector, AGC, and audio systems of the HQ-170/180 series. So for shortwave broadcast listening, you can use the bare HQ-160 when conditions are good for best recovered audio fidelity and when needed bring the HC-10 into play with its selectable sideband and narrow bandwidth options.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:16 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
GM John, and welcome.

Congratulations on your new toy. Hammarlund made many very nice receivers, and there are folks here that can answer any question you may have, regarding just about any radio ever made. Ask away.

Thanks Mike,

I am feeling a little better after your message. I never expected to own a radio this good.

Johnny

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:17 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
I have an HQ-160 and it is one of my favorites. I especially like the flexibility of using the variable frequency Q-multiplier in conjunction with the "Slot" (notch) filter. AVC is not employed when using the BFO for SSB reception, an inconvenience. I think there is a mod for this but I haven't tried it.

Mine has a curious problem where the local oscillator is frequency modulated on the upper bands if there is a permanent magnet located near the cabinet bottom causing a 60 Hz garbling of SSB and CW reception. (It took me a while to discover the cause of this...an extendable, magnetic parts retriever in a drawer under the table surface.)

While there are some paper caps that need to be changed along with the electrolytics, it uses mostly disc ceramic and mica caps so restoration is relatively easy. But be aware that this radio uses IF transformers that can have silver-mica migration disease (SMD). There are two, dual frequency IF's that had this problem in my set. I replaced the bad internal caps with external fixed micas.

I have also had experience with it's big brother, an HQ-180, but I like my HQ-160 better. It's a great wintertime band cruiser.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Feeling better now.

Johnny

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:20 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
I owned a HQ-160. It is a very good receiver. and a cut above most tube receivers. Only the Collins with the mechanical filters are a little more selective. It is before Hammarlund designed the restricted audio trick on the HQ-170 and HQ-180 that most remove. It can be subject to IF mica disease so if it is not highly sensitive you have to make the repairs. But, it is not likely to occur.

Thanks Jim,

I'll read about the mica problem today.

Johnny

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:23 pm 

rsingl wrote:
The HQ-160 is a great receiver and if you combine the HC-10 external SSB adapter with it you have one of the best receiving setups offered by Hammarlund. Not only does the HC-10 offer improved SSB/CW reception with full AGC operation, it provides the low frequency highly selective IF, detector, AGC, and audio systems of the HQ-170/180 series. So for shortwave broadcast listening, you can use the bare HQ-160 when conditions are good for best recovered audio fidelity and when needed bring the HC-10 into play with its selectable sideband and narrow bandwidth options.

Rodger WQ9E

Thanks Roger,

I look forward to learning my new radio. I may even buy a matching transmitter some day.

Johnny
KE5YRV

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:41 pm 

Good choice. I don't have a -160 but I do have a couple of -145As. They are relatively simple to work on, no exotic circuitry. Dual conversion gives it superior image rejection compared to the single conversion HQ-100 and HQ-110. And unlike the other less expensive Hammarlunds, it has a product detector.

One thing you might want to watch out for: If you need to replace the 6C4, try to find a mil-spec 6C4WA or 6100. Not all brands of 6C4s will work as a high freq oscillator. This isn't a flaw in the Hammarlund. Other receivers also have this problem.

John

PostPosted: Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:54 pm 

KX5JSC wrote:
Good choice. I don't have a -160 but I do have a couple of -145As. They are relatively simple to work on, no exotic circuitry. Dual conversion gives it superior image rejection compared to the single conversion HQ-100 and HQ-110. And unlike the other less expensive Hammarlunds, it has a product detector.

One thing you might want to watch out for: If you need to replace the 6C4, try to find a mil-spec 6C4WA or 6100. Not all brands of 6C4s will work as a high freq oscillator. This isn't a flaw in the Hammarlund. Other receivers also have this problem.

John

Thanks a lot John. That is the kind of information I was looking for.

Johnny

PostPosted: Nov Thu 12, 2020 4:57 pm 

Hi, Neighbor (200 miles up the road IS, by Texas standards "in the neighborhood"). I forgot to mention the adjustable dial calibration, a feature I wish my -145s had.

John

PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2020 7:37 am 

KX5JSC wrote:
Hi, Neighbor (200 miles up the road IS, by Texas standards "in the neighborhood"). I forgot to mention the adjustable dial calibration, a feature I wish my -145s had.

John

Yup, I am already spoiled by my 160. Listening to WTWW now.

When I get up the courage, I will perform a complete visual alignment.

I have a sweeper and a spectrum analyzer.

Be safe.

Johnny
KE5YRV

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 3:08 am 

WOW, I am in love with my HQ 160. It took about two days of TLC to get it limbered up. I had no idea a radio this good existed. I have already ordered a JAN GE 6C4WA / 6100.

I will be looking for a matching transmitter and speaker.

Johnny
KE5YRV

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 3:13 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:

Dave

Dave,

Just curious, did you consider replacing the varicaps with new varicaps?

Johnny

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 3:19 am 

jimbenedict wrote:

Is there an objective test for the SMD? I have most test equipment necessary for working on receivers.

Johnny

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 6:43 am 

JohnnyColeman wrote:
Dave,
Johnny

Johnny, what do you mean by "varicaps"? If you are talking about the mica trimmers, there's no need unless any of them are physically damaged.

John

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 1:01 pm 

JohnnyColeman wrote:
Is there an objective test for the SMD?
Not really. But the symptoms are crackling audio, positive voltage on output pins, lack of sensitivity, no reception, unable to achieve alignment peak, burned B+ resistor, sparking at bottom of IF transformer, or a combination of the above. My set had all of these symptoms and the offending IF transformer was easy to identify because of the visible sparks.

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 6:41 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
A modification to enable AVC is here along with a link back to the forum thread where it was developed. http://curtiseickerman.weebly.com/technical.html

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2020 8:04 pm 

KX5JSC wrote:
JohnnyColeman wrote:
Dave,
Johnny

Johnny, what do you mean by "varicaps"? If you are talking about the mica trimmers, there's no need unless any of them are physically damaged.

John

Thanks again John.

I'll just enjoy it as is for awhile. I have a 70' copper wire up about 12' in the air. I connected with a 9 to 1 unun. Works great.

Johnny
KE5YRV