Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 17, 2021 7:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite AM Broadcast & SW Receiver for Band Crusing
PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 5:14 am 

I will go first. My favorite all around receiver is the Hammarlund HQ-150. It was a great band spread on the main tuning dial. AM broadcast tuning is a pleasure and it hear everything. Another great receiver is the HQ-129. But, for Ham use the Q Multiplier can reduce an offending close in signal to a comfortable level that the HQ-129 is missing. Noise limited very effective with adding very little distortion or hardly noticeable. Dial accuracy is uncanny, I can find any frequency. IF cans are made before the mica disease issue. Ceramic caps do not need replacement like the paper capacitors. Drop-in a CE Manufacturing electrolytic can capacitor that also picks up 10UF 6V6 cathode bypass and your done (see pix below). I also like the Collins 51J-4, but cruising the bands is difficult requiring many, many turns of the dials. The audio is first class quality with the 6V6 tube and large audio transformer. Three IF stages helps on selectivity, but still has a 6 KHz bandpass for good audio quality. Choke in the power supply makes for Hum free audio. Drift is not noticeable on AM, settles down quickly on SSB.

Attachments:
DSC00885.JPG
DSC00885.JPG [ 670.24 KiB | Viewed 2162 times ]
s-l1600.png
s-l1600.png [ 529.61 KiB | Viewed 2162 times ]

Last edited by jimbenedict on Apr Tue 13, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Favorite AM Broadcast & SW Receiver for Band Crusing
PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 5:26 am 

1st Choice SP-600
2nd Choice HR) 50/60 Would be 1st except for need to change coils) . Ddual conversion on the 60 but better AM audio on the 50 10 watt PP true HiFi audio on both.
3rd Choice R390 (not 390A) if you have a strong wrist.

Real Radios Glow in the Dark

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 6:29 am 

In 1972 I knew someone with with an SP-600 and an R388. They kind of worked together, it was way easier to scan the spectrum with the Superpro, but the R388 was better in other regards.

But I ended up with the SP-600 for a decade, which kind of spoiled me. It was nearly infinitely better than my first receiver bought in 1971, a Hallicrafters S-120A (the transistor one) junk.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 1:08 pm 

National HRO 5W. It picks up virtually everything. There is a lot of interference where I live tho.

Dennis

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 1:34 pm 

First choice, SP-400X with its great audio and continuously variable selectivity. It provides great audio quality when conditions are good. Second choice is Racal RA-17, smooth tuning with very good performance and when the wideband front end is chosen you can tune from broadcast through 30 Mhz. without touching a band switch.

Honorable mention: Hallicrafters SX-73, this receiver was a contract alternative to the SP-600 and I like Hallicrafters implementation of the contract requirements. The Hallicrafters three L/C plus 3 single crystal bandwidth system which is used in a lot of their receivers from this era works very well and the tuning is smooth. It also has a cute current limiter setup for the VR tube circuit using a pair of night light bulbs as the variable resistance elements. I have a couple of these nice receivers and I picked up some spare nightlight bulbs in case those become difficult to get with the phasing out of incandescent lighting.

Rodger WQ9E

Attachments:
SP-400x.JPG
SP-400x.JPG [ 633.38 KiB | Viewed 2115 times ]
Racal RA-17.jpg
Racal RA-17.jpg [ 253.5 KiB | Viewed 2115 times ]
SX-73 ad.jpg
SX-73 ad.jpg [ 296.58 KiB | Viewed 2115 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 5:59 pm 

The HQ150 is my usual receiver for AMing paired with a Viking 2. I like the HQ145 as well.

But, for the best audio I use a Hallicrafters SX42 or SX62 paired with the R42 speaker. They can shake the window panes! Nice as they are they are not selective enough for crowded ham bands.

Rich

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 7:17 pm 

Attachment:
HQ-160 (1024x769).jpg
HQ-160 (1024x769).jpg [ 423.49 KiB | Viewed 2046 times ]
Here's another Hammarlund, an HQ-160, that works very well as a band cruiser. The audio circuit was modified by removing the couplate Z1 and connecting the plate of the 12AX7 to the grid of the 6AQ5 through a .047 uf capacitor as shown in the D-Lab You Tube video by N6TLU.

John VE3PMA

PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2021 3:01 am 

I've never been enough of a SWL to have a favorite but for medium wave listening, I use a GE Superadio the most. For signal analysis and rx antenna testing and adjusting I really like my HF Discovery+ SDR. To quickly spin down into the band below 160 m. in the shack I use my Kenwood TS870 as a receiver. I haven't transmitted with the 870 in years, probably over a decade. But it's an easy to use decent receiver. All my tube sets are for ham radio operating.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2021 5:38 pm 

This is the on for me:

PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2021 6:22 pm 

My Hallicrafters 129X and Allied SX-190 get the most of the casual use. Honorable mention goes to BC-348 even though it only receives the top end of the AM broadcast band.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2021 6:30 pm 

The combination of Dual speed tuning, analog and digital readouts make the rf4900 an excellent radio for Band crusing.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2021 9:11 pm 

I like the Hallicrafters S-76. Sounds good into a 12" full range speaker.

Attachments:
S-76.jpg
S-76.jpg [ 673.11 KiB | Viewed 1892 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2021 9:35 pm 

Ah yes the old Millen R-9'er. I used one for many years. 6AK5 preamplifier and impedance matcher.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2021 1:20 am 

Attachment:
frg7700.jpg
frg7700.jpg [ 775.76 KiB | Viewed 1843 times ]

Here's my cruiser

PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2021 3:30 am 

I have to say my current favorite is my HQ-129X that I picked up (stole) on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was not photographed well, it was dirty, and the seller didn't know what she had. I should not admit it, but was able to buy it for a very low cost. I sent the seller my wishes that she pack it well, pack the inside with loose paper, and that was about it. It came wrapped in a nice bath robe and some bath towels, packed in a plastic storage container that Home Depot sells. It was taped shut with duct tape and cable ties, with a label on it. It took me over a half hour just getting the container open. I consider myself lucky, in that it was in such nice condition, but it had obviously been sitting for many years, unused, and had to just about rebuild the power supply, although all the iron was good, it was a mess. It cleaned up well, and even though it did not have the original knobs, the knobs that came with it work quite well.
BEFORE:
Attachment:
HQ-129X-FIRST.jpg
HQ-129X-FIRST.jpg [ 238.42 KiB | Viewed 1813 times ]

and AFTER:
Attachment:
HQ-129X.jpg
HQ-129X.jpg [ 460.87 KiB | Viewed 1813 times ]

I have many receivers, including the HQ-150, which I have not gone thru yet. I always liked the 150, and considered it my favorite up to receiving the 129X. I also have an HQ-120X, that I really like, but I find the 129X just easy and "smooth" to use. I have switched several receivers in and out, paired up to my Ranger I and Viking II, but have gravitated to the 129x. Until I have a shack big enough to use them all, I think the 129X will remain where it is, as a regular use receiver.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2021 12:05 pm 

I'm not much of a band cruiser, but when I do, I like the feel of the SP-600. It has good audio, plenty of filtering options and its among the smoothest tuning radios around.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

Last edited by Mikeinkcmo on Apr Thu 15, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2021 1:58 pm 

For cruising the AM band my recently restored S-38 does a perfectly fine job. It came to me with some issues which I uncovered and fixed and now just as with any other old radio you have restored listening to it gives you the satisfaction of enjoying the fruits of your labor. A simple pleasure to be sure but one of the best and the satisfaction of restoring and using a much more capable radio isn't any greater really. Having spent decades working with solid state electronics that grew from a couple of dozen transistors to millions and millions there is a joy in working with a technology that uses a couple dozen active devices at most. That joy doesn't depend on how capable or impressive the end device is to modern radios fans. It comes from tapping into our rich and largely unappreciated technological history. I've listened to the S-38 and my FT-450 side by side a couple of nights. The new radio is a monster compared to the old even though it is hardly a monster by current standards. At the end of the day it didn't reveal anything of interest on the SW or Ham bands that the old radio failed to reveal and about as well on those couple of nights. Night after night on the Ham bands it would pull well ahead of course but I am not sure there is anything any radio can do for the SW bands!

Now my S-38 does have the advantage over all my others in the competition for my affections in that it is the only one currently working! One of them had to be first. It may be soon replaced by the SX-11 I am working on. But it won't fall very far below it because it is an impressive result from five tubes plus BFO!

PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2021 10:04 pm 

targeteye wrote:
The combination of Dual speed tuning, analog and digital readouts make the rf4900 an excellent radio for Band crusing.

An RF-4900 is my main band cruiser but I also use my SP-600...just not as often.

Too bad that SX-28 pix is so large that it forces us to scroll to read the thread's text. I agree it's a great band cruiser.

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 1:04 am 

I like my old surplus R-388 better than anything for AM. I think my R-390 is a bit better of a radio, but the 388 just seems like an old Zenith, as smooth as it operates.
Very good on ham and international bands too. Sensitive and stable. Sort of looks like a '40s table radio on steroids, which is pleasing as well.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 2:49 am 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
I'm not much of a band cruiser, but when I do, I like the feel of the SP-600. It has good audio, plenty of filtering options and its among the smoothest tuning radios around.

I like my 600 too! Its smooth dial is great but you got to spin in a thousand times to go from one end to the other!

Todd

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 50 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next