Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 27, 2021 5:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Squires Sanders SS-1R Problem
PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:27 pm 

Picked up a Squires Sanders SS-1R amateur band receiver at a local hamfest over the weekend.

Physically, everything looks to be there but dial cord is broken. Anyone ever attempt to re- string one of these receivers? Neither the operating nor the service manuals include any info on dial restringing. Also, SAMS only lists some of their CB models. To add to the lack of manual tuning, the receiver also includes two tuning motors; one to go clockwise and one to go counterclockwise (I think) that need to be integrated into (I believe) the dial cord stringing.

For those not familiar with the SS-1R, here's a picture from the Universal Radio web site. Was only around from roughly 1963 to 67. They also made a short wave version during that same time period. Some innovative circuit designs in both receivers but both receivers were very pricey.

Last edited by manualman on Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Squires Sanders SS-1R Problem
PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:36 pm 

Pete, sure wish I could help - after seeing you help literally thousands of people on this forum and others I was pretty surprised to see you asking for help!

As I recall you have another one and I'm sure this has crossed your mind, drop the front panel to see how it's done? Sorry, best I can do here.

73 John

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 10:50 pm 

w3jn wrote:
Pete, sure wish I could help - after seeing you help literally thousands of people on this forum and others I was pretty surprised to see you asking for help!

As I recall you have another one and I'm sure this has crossed your mind, drop the front panel to see how it's done? Sorry, best I can do here.

73 John

Hey John; dismantling the another one has obviously crossed my mind to see roughly how they did it. Unfortunately it's also somewhat buried with all the components. With the SS-1R, the chassis doesn't just slip out the front or back eiher. You sort of have to dismantle the outer shell. To add to the excitement, the main tuning capacitor pulley sits roughly perpendicular to the front dial plate and indicator. There are several small pulleys that guide the cord around.
Might have to ponder this one for awhile :D

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 11:35 pm 

The new issue of Electric Radio has a profile of the company, and I recall a reference in the piece to an earlier one about the gear. Possibly one of the two authors could help figure this out.

If you don't get ER (you should!), let me know and I'll send you the name and contact info for the author of the current profile.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 1:58 am 

Avery wrote:
The new issue of Electric Radio has a profile of the company, and I recall a reference in the piece to an earlier one about the gear. Possibly one of the two authors could help figure this out.

If you don't get ER (you should!), let me know and I'll send you the name and contact info for the author of the current profile.

I have every issue of ER from Issue 1 on to the current issue.

I'm aware of the two articles; the current issue and one generated in July 1994 generated by K8NGV. Unfortunately, Tom passed on 12/24/20. The current one does have some errors in it. Not sure if the writer even has a SS-1R.

But I know of several notables that have or have had this model, and if I lose my way, I'll touch base with them and see if they have any experience diddling with the restringing.