Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 6:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Drake TR4C cinch-Jones plug loose
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 10:45 pm 

When I wiggle the power supply cable at the rear of the transceiver I loose power. I have checked continuity and the solder joints in the plug and all is well. It appears the compression on the female sockets is loose and as much as I try to pry them to increase tension the plug still drifts slightly off the male connections and power disconnects.
Is there a better way to pry tension back into this plugs? Should I look at putting some metal into each socket to take up some of the gap... not keen on that given 650 volts.... or should I find some way to bind the connector so it can’t move, and hope for the best.
Any wisdom appreciated
Lynn VE3CSS

Post subject: Re: Drake TR4C cinch-Jones plug loose
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 10:54 pm 

I have had the same problem. One thing to check is that the wire in question doesn’t have a break under the insulation. The tight bend in the cable before it gets to the solder connection can cause the wire to break.

Norm

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 1:43 am 

Hi Norm
I did a thorough continuity check and wiggled the cable while doing it... no breaks apparent.
I might have to find a new plug on eBay and do a total re wiring.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 2:41 am 

Back in the old days of police and fire mobile radio we used to take needle nose pliers and twist the male pins slightly so they held in place tighter and changed the contact surface. I also found that a kind of invisible corrosion can form on the pins and you need to clean them one way or another and spray DeOxit on them afterwards. These issues seem to have been one reason that by the mid 1960's the manufacturers of mobile radios had abandoned these connectors and gone to the kind with center fastening screws or external clamping methods, and gold plated pins. Old time mobile radio techs will remember fighting these on the Motorola big case Twin-V and 80D mobiles, and the GE Progress Line and TPL radios...

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 12:56 pm 

Thanks Geoff
Great idea, I will try that. Just knew someone had been here before with the same problem. A subtle twist of the male blades is brilliant.
Cheers