Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 27, 2021 4:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about SX-96 Audio Amp Section
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 7:13 pm 

I recently acquired a pretty nice Halli SX-96 that works quite well. While inspecting the condition of this rig, I noticed that the audio amp tube, 6SC7, has been replaced with a 6SL7. I see where the tubes are very similar, but not exactly the same. It is difficult to tell if this was a factory change or an aftermarket modification, as the soldering job looks factory original for the most part.

My question is: Is the 6SL7 a later change to the SX-96, and if not can anyone comment on why someone would change this tube from the 6SC7 to the 6SL7?

Tnx,
Marc-k7wxk

Post subject: Re: Question about SX-96 Audio Amp Section
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 8:03 pm 

Marc,

Someone probably had one on hand and didn't have the original tube so they changed them out. Performance wise, it shouldn't make any difference but it would have required rewiring.

I doubt if it was a Hallicrafters running production change or otherwise the SX-100 would have used a 6SL7 tube. It is possible there was an odd shortage and Hallicrafters briefly used but I think it is far more likely it was done by the owner.

If you decide to leave it, mark the chassis to indicate the tube change since the pinout is different from the original.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 8:08 pm 

Rodger,
My thoughts exactly, but wanted a second opinion. Both twin triodes, but one has only one cathode I believe. I am considering re-wiring back to original. Shouldn't require too much work. Then again, it works fine as is. Maybe just mark and enjoy.

Cheers,
Marc

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 9:34 pm 

Both tubes are about the same performance wise but the 6SL7 is less microphonic.

DM

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 2:21 am 

Perhaps a good enough reason to leave as is.

Marc