Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Jan Fri 21, 2022 1:00 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Depth control? Notch control?
PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 3:18 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3430
Location: Erie, Pa.
Is my NC-270 a submarine?

I know notch has something to do with the crystal filters.

I have no Idea what the depth control is.

Can someone kindly provide a simplified explanation?

I have barely mastered the combined use of af gain and rf gain and bfo for sideband, I want to use all the tools at my disposal.

Thanks!

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Depth control? Notch control?
PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 5:28 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Sat 07, 2009 11:37 pm
Posts: 2989
Location: Sayreville, NJ 08872
Amateur equipment has all sorts of control acronyms like Slot Depth, Slot Frequency, IF Gain, noise limiter, noise blanker, noise silencer and many more. :D

_________________
Pete, WA2CWA - "A cluttered desk is a sign of genius"
https://www.manualman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Depth control? Notch control?
PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 6:20 am 
Member

Joined: May Thu 17, 2018 12:16 am
Posts: 285
Location: Edmonds, WA USA
The manual has a very lengthy description of the function anduse of the notch and depth control, much more than can be summarized here. The purpose of both is to lower the strength of interfering signals which were mostly heterodynes on am or close signals on cw. If you send me a PM we can talk more about this if you have the manual in front of you so we can go through it section by section. The manual does make some assumptions of the technical knowledge of the reader so I or others can help with that background information.

_________________
Dave
W7VM

Real Radios Glow in the Dark


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Depth control? Notch control?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 12:35 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3430
Location: Erie, Pa.
Lolyn wrote:
The manual has a very lengthy description of the function anduse of the notch and depth control, much more than can be summarized here. The purpose of both is to lower the strength of interfering signals which were mostly heterodynes on am or close signals on cw. If you send me a PM we can talk more about this if you have the manual in front of you so we can go through it section by section. The manual does make some assumptions of the technical knowledge of the reader so I or others can help with that background information.



Thanks, Dave.

Much appreciated.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Depth control? Notch control?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 1:04 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3430
Location: Erie, Pa.
manualman wrote:
Amateur equipment has all sorts of control acronyms like Slot Depth, Slot Frequency, IF Gain, noise limiter, noise blanker, noise silencer and many more. :D


Gee whiz, manualman!

What's a kid to do??


Attachments:
leave-it-to-beaver-school-duck-n-cover.jpg
leave-it-to-beaver-school-duck-n-cover.jpg [ 136.79 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Depth control? Notch control?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 1:46 am 
Moderator

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 19018
Location: Utica, NY 13502 (USA)
I use a "notch" control to select the frequency within the IF passband that I want to reduce and a "depth" control to determine how deep the notch needs to be. Working together, they can be used to reduce adjacent channel and other types of interference especially when used in conjunction with a Q-multiplier such as found in a Hammarlund HQ-160.

Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Depth control? Notch control?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 2:07 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3430
Location: Erie, Pa.
Dave Doughty wrote:
I use a "notch" control to select the frequency within the IF passband that I want to reduce and a "depth" control to determine how deep the notch needs to be. Working together, they can be used to reduce adjacent channel and other types of interference especially when used in conjunction with a Q-multiplier such as found in a Hammarlund HQ-160.

Dave


Thank you, Dave. That makes sense to me.

As recommended, of course, I will review the manual.

Your teaching is sincerely appreciated!


Attachments:
ElmerAward.png
ElmerAward.png [ 65.45 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"
Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  






































Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB