Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Mon 24, 2020 9:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding IPOD to radio
PostPosted: Jun Tue 07, 2011 2:34 pm 

Anyone know a simple way of connecting an IPOD to an AM tube radio (in this case an Emerson 510). Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Adding IPOD to radio
PostPosted: Jun Tue 07, 2011 2:37 pm 

Jeff: email me if you have any questions. I have done this one to over 100 radios....it works great

BTW.....the stuff I ordered from you arrived safe and sound. The tester is GREAT!
thanks
~jeff~

PostPosted: Jun Tue 07, 2011 2:48 pm 

Thanks Jeff! I'll send you an email as I have a question about the jack. Also glad everything arrived safely.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 08, 2011 6:03 am 

A timely post Jeff,
I am looking to do one of these in the near future. Thanks for the post and diagram. As you have done many, I may go with this design.

A couple of questions, I don't have an Ipod. Is the plug a standard 3 conductor mini-stereo jack?
The jack you show, is it a standard jack, or does it need a couple more shorting contacts/terminals?

Coupling to the set (a Zenith 5-S-150) would it be best to insert a level control before going to the set's volume control? In case the input is too high? Or are your 2K resistors about right for the applcation?

Lastly, I know some have used caps to couple to the set. Is there a danger of something backing up into the Ipod?

I will assume that the Ipod, CD player or even an older cassette player would work well for source.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 08, 2011 2:25 pm 

I tried this last night without success. Using the Radio Shack closed circuit jack, standard 3/8" connectors between an MP3 player and the jack. Bigtime hum and nothing else. Is shielding an issue? Whenever I waved my hand anywhere near the setup, the hum increased. This same radio has a phono jack and that works fine with the same MP3 player.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 08, 2011 2:55 pm 

Hi Gary, et al

I should have been a little more in-depth about this application when I first posted it.

so...what I use is a Radio Shack 1/8" stereo headphone jack....item # 274-0246
the schematic that I posted is also on the back of the packaging of the jack.
its small and black with a clear bottom to see the internals.

The 2k resistors (I acutally use 2.2k 'cuz that was all
RatShack had at the time) are pretty small beans in comparison and don't
seem to choke any quality out of the input. They
are used to change the input to mono (to match the output of the
radio) instead of stereo (the input of the source) and they provide some resistance to
back cycling with power surges and the like....not much, but I have never
had a problem with the radios that I have installed them on ruining an iPod or an
Mp3 player yet. I used to use a mono jack and an on/off switch but this is much easier to install and
a lot less obtrusive. I have never heard any difference in the audio
quality of the radio with the resistors installed

This is really easy because when it is unplugged the radio plays as
it should, when it is plugged in it automatically cuts off the radio
sound source and inputs the external sound source.. you dont even need to tune the radio to a 'dead spot' in the dial.
Be sure to run your iPod, Mp3, portable (low power) CD player or
whatever at max volume then use the volume of the radio for the up and
down.
I am putting these in almost all of my radios now.
Just unhook the high side wire to the on/off/volume pot and hook it
to the wire that links 3 and 4 together. Then hook a wire from the
resistors (2 and 5) and hook it to the tab on the pot that you just
unhooked the wire from.
if you are placing it in the chassis of the radio you dont even need
to worry about the ground (the #1) wire....as this unit is internally
(chassis mount) grounded. I added that if you are mounting externally
to the cardboard back or on the wood and not actually grounded
(through the mounting nut) to the chassis.

Not the greatest end all audio but I added one of these to a model 1962
Silvertone console that I finished up this weekend and it sounded
GREAT when I was playing my iPod through it.......even better than the
AM talk crap that is flooding the airwaves recently...
I use a standard shielded 1/8 x 1/8 (1.82mm) 6 foot long - male / male stereo audio cable available at Radio Shack (for just over 6 dollars US) and I have used it on a variety of inputs. I have used it on iPod, Mp3, portable (cheap battery powered) CD players and my XM radio receiver. I also have an FM receiver on my phone that I use all the time. Any and all work great.
and to 'driftwoodpine'
yes, I think it will make a huge difference with a shielded cable. I tried this once with a very cheap cable that came with my treadmill....single wire....no shielding and it hummed terribly. Changed to a shielded cable...no hum at all.

I installed one of these in a 5-S-127 for my wife for her office. She has played the XM radio through it all day long, almost every day for the past 2 years....no issues at all. Sounds great and she doesnt have to listen to Talk Radio or any of the other junk that is on our local area AM stations. I miss my Jazz station. They stopped broadcasting about 9 months ago...so..I listen to 40's and Jazz on my XM radio through several radios in my collection......

Thanks guys,
~jeff~

PostPosted: Jun Wed 08, 2011 3:49 pm 

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I think this is related. What is needed in the way of resistors or caps to hook into a phono inlet that is factory on a receiver. Concern is preventing damage to whatever is being plugged in.
thanks,
Sandy

PostPosted: Jun Wed 08, 2011 7:43 pm 

Sandy wrote:
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I think this is related. What is needed in the way of resistors or caps to hook into a phono inlet that is factory on a receiver. Concern is preventing damage to whatever is being plugged in.
thanks,
Sandy

I make an adapter cable with a 1/8" stereo male plug or female jack (your choice) on one end and a right angle RCA mono male plug on the other end. There's enough room in the body of the RCA mono plug to add two 2.2K resistors (1/4 watt). I filled the cavity with hot glue to keep the left and right channel leads from shorting. The other ends of the two resistors are joined and connect to the high side of the RCA mono plug. It works perfectly with my Zenith 1000D which has an RCA phono input. The right angle RCA plug allows the back to be closed when the adapter cable is plugged in. I just leave it in all the time. You can get all the parts at Radio Shack. You can buy one 3 foot 1/8" stereo patch cord and two right angle RCA plugs and make two 18" cables.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 08, 2011 11:50 pm 

10K seems to be a commonly recommended value for the summing resistors, although I've seen everything from 1K to 100K recommended. Just out of curiosity, I made up another adapter cable with two 12K resistors (I didn't have any 10K's) summing the left and right channels. I couldn't hear any difference between the adapter with 2.2k or 12k. Of course, I don't hear all that well at my age :lol:

Here's a photo of the adapter cable. The two resisters are embedded in the body of the right angle RCA mono plug.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 09, 2011 1:48 am 

Here is my "chime" on this thread.
As for preventing damage to the portable device being plugged into this setup, the greatest concern about that, or a possible shock hazard to the user, would be if this is done to an AC/DC receiver (transformerless, or "All American Five" type). This exact circuit could be used to connect the portable player to the radio if an isolation transformer is connected to the AC power line of the radio (the most recommended thing to do with such radios). Another possibility would be to add capacitors in series with the "high" and "low" sides of the audio being fed to the radio. Some experimenting may be needed, but you would want to go with as small of cap values at at least 600 volts each as to not affect the sound quality too much. I would imagine .01 or less would be safest, but then too low of a value may sacrifice on bass response.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 09, 2011 2:31 am 

Jeff, tried your configuration again tonight and report success. Where the pins are shown as connected to each other (drawn in black -- 4 to 5 and 3 to 2), I newly wired on the backside. This made the difference. I didn't do this earlier thinking that they were joined internally in the jack outlet itself. The radio does need to be tuned to a quiet place on the dial otherwise the MP3 signal is mixed with a radio station signal.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 09, 2011 6:53 am 

Driftwood, make certain pins 3 and 4 are shorted together. If you used the connector shown in the first post, inserting the male into should disconnect the radio signal totally. You of course will need to remove the male connector to receive radio. Edit: Wiring pins 2to3 and 4to5 will result in what you noted, needing to pick a "clear" area on the dial. Most of my radios don't really have a totally clean area. I find the suggested wiring more satisfactory with the exception of having to pull the plug. The very neat one suggested for using the phono plug in and modified cable was sweet. This assuming you don't have a phono hooked up.I would also suggest using light audio shield cable to run from the volume pot to the rear female connector. Easy to pick up hum. And Gary, use the female connector suggested in the first thread if you want your radio audio to go dead when you plug in your your MP3/CD/Cassette player/XM radio. Most of these devices have variable outputs that will let you adjust signal in strength. Radio Shack does sell the 3connector female plugs but you will be stuck looking for a quiet spot and may have some compromises in the listening through what ever is coming in on AM and most MP3 cables I have used are unshielded and can put out some loud hum if the MP3 is not turned on.

Jerry.
Jerry

PostPosted: Jun Thu 09, 2011 8:00 am 

Thanks Jeff, and Jerry,
I do plan on using the plug as shown, and wiring it so the connection to the high side of the pot breaks. (I don't want to have the owner look for that 'quiet spot' on the dial. I want it to be disconnected.)

I do see that when the jack is in the 'radio' position, there is still 1000 Ohms connecting the radio audio to the high side of the pot.

Is there any harm in disconncting the high side of the pot? In other words, there is nowhere for that lead to go, is it like a "no load condition" to the previous stage? Or, can that lead just hang in the air so to speak?

I don't have the set yet, it will be a transformer operated set. I will shy away from installing these on a AC/DC chassis.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 09, 2011 3:12 pm 

Gary...
if the wire to the high side of the pot is disconnected from the pot and attached to the jack .... then the jack is, in turn .... connected to the high side of the pot there is really no difference than the original configuration except for the addition of the two resistors. The change is not noticable on the audio output of the radio although I am not sure about the previous stage..I have never taken a measurement of it.

everyone else: as for the jack....if used exactly like I have described you dont need to tune it to a dead spot on the dial. Inserting the male end of the external source actually cuts off the radio freq. and inputs your outside source.

as for AA5's.....well, its a long stading debate here as to someone dying if they muck around with AA5's
my take on it is this: I have put this jack in dozens and dozens of AA5's. I have had friends, family and customers using them for years....no one has gotten shocked from this.
with chassis on bench, plugged in a playing I can reach in and touch the high side of the pot with my finger and not get a shock. If I can do that then there is no way that a shock will occur by inputting a male jack end into the female end of the jack placed in an AA5 (or any other radio for that matter) circuit.

Yes there is a POTENTIAL for shock....there is in anything you plug in.
my wifes hair dryer, the radio on the bedside, the TV .... even my old electric shaver (yes, I still have one and still use it) all have the POTENTIAL of shocking you......99.99% of the time...they don't
just like AA5 radios.
Now there is that .01% of the time that they will....
and I guess you just call yourself.........unlucky...... :lol:

play with these old radios and have fun,
dont do anything really stupid but jeeze guys....
being a chicken little all you life is not fun at all

I am listening to my XM radio....though an AA5 radio chassis....and through the jack that I installed in it .... right now.
no shock, no death .... not even any mayhem.....(my insurance company thanks you..)
thats my take on it...

"of course, I could be wrong"
(stolen from Dennis Miller)

~jeff~

PostPosted: Jun Thu 09, 2011 4:09 pm 

Jeff, thanks for all this great and straightforward information.

BTW, the cable adapter I described above is for use with a radio that has an factory RCA phono input. A modified radio with a jack installed as per your instructions would only need a standard 1/8" stereo male to 1/8" stereo male patch cord to connect.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 09, 2011 5:00 pm 

Ed.....
thats a great patch cord idea.
I have some factory phono jack radios so I am going to make one of those up and try it.
Thanks for the post.

~jeff~

PostPosted: Jun Fri 10, 2011 1:55 am 

Thanks Jeff,
You have cleared a lot of stuff up for me. I will let you all know how the addition comes out, after I install the jack.
Take care,
Gary.

Last edited by gary rabbitt on Jun Wed 15, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 10, 2011 3:54 am 

When some customers want an input jack installed on their radios, I use this simple design.
It protects anything connected to the jacks, avoids shocks, and keeps my liability claims at bay. :wink:

I want my customers to be safe.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 10, 2011 5:47 am 

VintageTunes wrote:
Hi Gary, et al

Not the greatest end all audio but I added one of these to a model 1962
Silvertone console that I finished up this weekend and it sounded
GREAT when I was playing my iPod through it.......even better than the
AM talk crap that is flooding the airwaves recently...

Thanks guys,
~jeff~

Hi Jeff:

Since the low side of the volume control on the Silvertone model 1962 is NOT at chassis ground, how did you handle this?
Did you "float" the jack's ground mount hardware by installing it on a cardboard back or something??
That's what I had to do.
Here's my link on this subject:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... f6f0b5d4e6

PostPosted: Jun Fri 10, 2011 6:03 am 

Thanks for the excellent information.

Those 0.22 capacitors will pass enough to still repsent quite a shock hazard. Instead, the $0.95 GFCI plugs I found seem to be a good way to make an AA5/6 safer, at a very low cost.

Last edited by FStephenMasek on Aug Tue 02, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 76 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next