Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 26, 2019 12:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sonora RCU 208 Restoration Help
PostPosted: Mar Sun 10, 2013 1:59 am 

Worked on the set today and the Hum went away! I had to unsolder/resolder some wires because when I removed the IF cans, it was the only way to reinstall the cans with the factory installed clips. In the process, I had to move around other connections and subsequently, the hum went away. So hats off to Fifties, I didn't realize that other wires/connections underneath the chassis could be the source of the hum. I only had heard of the filter capacitors being the issue.

The antenna is currently not soldered to the 3 leads to the chassis. The whole antenna back is in two pieces so in order to get a signal, I installed circular leads to the chassis wires so they can be placed on the antenna leads. The signal comes is better when I actually hold two of the leads in place. Once I'm happy when the reception, I'll solder the chassis leads in place. However, I don't think the cardboard antenna back is salvageable. I'm thinking of tracing the shape on 3/8" piece of wood, cutting the shape out and mounting the antenna on that and painting it.

Looking for better ideas though to keep it as authentic as possible.

The radio takes several minutes to warm up to where it in can pull in a few stations. The last problem I have is there is still is a lot of raspyness and sometimes extreme loudness when tuning. I did inspect the rotor plates and blew some air in there.

And yes, my schematic reading skills need improvement :)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2