Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 16, 2019 5:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Where Do I Start? Philco 65
PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2004 6:22 pm 

Greetings, <P>I am brand new to the hobby. I work in radio so I've always been interested in the history, but yesterday I happened across a classified ad in my local newspaper and wound up with a Philco 65 cabinet. It's in decent shape... it needs to be refinished, and the veneer is coming off in places. There are no radio components in it whatsoever -- it is just the plain old cabinet. <P>So my question for all of you is, where do I start? Is there a place I can find a chassis, or will I have to build something from the ground up? How about cabinet restoration tips? I'm going to have to get jiggy with a jigsaw to try and recreate the grill -- anyone have any suggestions for a template for that? I see there appears to be a separate forum for cabinet restoration, so perhaps I should post there.<P>Any thoughts, ideas, etc. will be greatly appreciated. <P>--Brian<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2004 6:38 pm 

Brian, I read that your cabinet was also used with the models 76, 85 and 87 chassis, so these might be candidates for retrofits - maybe between the four models, you can find someone that's selling one cheap without a cabinet. But most sets will include a cabinet, which may be in better shape than the one you already own.<P>You could adapt and install a modern radio or some other old chassis, but it would be a lot of work to make the controls and tuning dial line up and function and in the end you'd have a hybrid, which I'd think would be less pleasing than an all original set.<P>If you don't have previous experience in electronics, this might be a good time to take a class or do some home study. Remember that there are lethal voltages inside these sets - be sure that you understand the dangers inside and use the proper cautions.<P>There have been a few threads here lately started by newbie radio restorers that were quite good, you should be able to find them with a little searching.<P>Hope this helps...David<P>------------------

PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2004 6:48 pm 

Thanks David... no problem at all. I appreciate the insight. I know there's a possibility that I won't get an actual chassis in there. But the cabinet only set me back $10, so I figured I couldn't go wrong... either I'd get it going, or I'd just restore the wood, get some knobs and some grill cloth to cover the holes, and stick my Bose wave radio inside it. =)<P>------------------<BR>