Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 24, 2019 11:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Frustrating Philco 41-250
PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 5:47 am 

Here's the deal. I replaced all but 4 capacitors (2 coming out of #41 tubes, and the 2 power caps) with ceramic disc caps. I was getting stations before I replaced them, with a very loud hum, and now that ive replaced them, im not getting ANYTHING! not even static, and the hum is louder. ARG! Can anyone help?<P>------------------<BR>^^

PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 6:37 am 

Mr. Z:<P>Did I read correctly? You didn't replace the power caps even tho the radio hummed? I'm not sure disc caps can always be used to replace tubulars in all circuits. I'd be interested to hear from other Forum members regarding this.<P>Anyway, I'd replace the power caps if you haven't.<P>Best,<BR>Moe<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 6:51 am 

The electrolytic caps in the power supply cannot be replaced with non-electrolytic disk ceramic caps. Use replacement electrolytics only.<P>------------------<BR>Chuck Schwark<BR>The Philco Repair Bench at<BR> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.philcorepairbench.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.philcorepairbench.com</A>