Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 24, 2019 2:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco Model 60 question
PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 6:59 pm 

Hi,<P>Got two questions. <BR>1. When I inspected my "new" Philco Model 60 underneath, I found a burn mark on the rect. 80 tube socket between pins 1 and 2. A closer look shows something actually burned a hole through the socket to the chassis. <BR>I'm hoping someone has seen this problem and advise me how to troubleshoot this it before I power it up. <BR>2. Where I can I buy a 4 pin socket to replace this? <P>Thanks<BR>RL<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 7:19 pm 

Hi, Replacing the socket should cure the problem. Most likely some moisture was absorbed into the phenolic material and caused it to begin arcing, which would eventually burn a hole through the socket. This kind of failure is sometimes seen on tube sockets, especially on rectifier and audio output tubes. It is very unlikely that the failure was caused by anything other than the socket itself. There are quite high AC voltages on pins 2 and 3, and high DC voltages on pins 1 and 4 so it does not take much contamination of the socket material before it starts to break down.<P><BR>------------------<BR>Dennis

PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 7:27 pm 

Dennis,<P>Thank you, I also have model 89 with the same sympthoms. <P>Would you have an idea where to get a replacement?<P>Thanks again<BR>RL<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Thu 19, 2004 9:09 pm 

Hi RL<BR>The problem is just Dennis says a carbon track in the socket. You can never take it out, just get a new one from AES<BR>Same problem with the 89 huh. Also replace that to<BR> Now both the 60 and 89’s have a lot of changes in them, make sure you have the right Schematic’s for both them<P>If you want them just E/mail me<P>NEVER A CHARGE FOR PHILCO INFORMATION<P><P>------------------<BR>Rick Dippolito<BR>THE PHILCO RESTORER at<BR> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/philcorestorer/myhomepage/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/philcorestorer/myhomepage/index.html</A>

PostPosted: Feb Fri 20, 2004 4:47 pm 

Thanks Rick, <P>I may need more help with this radio later<P><BR>RL<P>------------------<BR>