Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 19, 2019 11:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SABA Freudenstadt 8 tuning clutch and FM tuning cord
PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 11:21 am 

Hi,

I have acquired a SABA freudenstadt 8 - a lovely set in perfect exterior condition. It has a number of mechanical issues including the clutch mechanism that selects between the FM pointer/tuning and the AM pointer/tuning.

Firstly the cord for the FM part is broken and I have no stringing info - before I have to guess, does anyone have information on the string routing and the size of spring etc.? Any advice on types or sources of cord ? - the original is about 0.8mm diameter.

The clutch itself -a curious object - It seems to be locked so that both spindles turn together. I'm not sure but it looks like a piece of copper wire has been inserted into both sides that lock the bobbins to the shaft thus defeating the clutch - is this correct? I'm partly inclined to leave it like that as part of the bakelite cup on one side is damaged, but it would be nice to restore its original function.

Many thanks for any advice,

Kevin.

Post subject: Re: SABA Freudenstadt 8 tuning clutch and FM tuning cord
PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 4:37 pm 

Send your email address to me in a PM (not on an open post) and I can forward helpful information. The photos I will send are large and will allow you to see necessary detail's and will not fit into a post. I can address both dial cord and shuttle issues.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 6:26 pm 

You can download a complete factory service packet (including dial stringing diagram) from here:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/saba_freudenstadt_8.html
Radiomuseum doesn't charge for this but you have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it. You are limited to three pages of data per day, with a total of ten in a one-month period.
I recommend that you download the schematic (page 1) and cord diagram (page 3) first. The other two pages (alignment instructions-page 2) and general specifications (page 4) can be downloaded later if desired.

The clutch assembly on these radios frequently breaks due to pot metal decay. There doesn't seem to be anything consistent about this- some clutches haven't deteriorated a bit in the past 60 years, others are literally falling apart. I think that it has something to do with the purity of the particular batch of zinc alloy that the part was cast in.

Both the shuttle two side pillars and the spring perch inside the shuttle that is clamped to the tuning shaft are made of pot metal, and any of these parts can disintegrate.

Normally your clutch shuttle should have two snap-on semicircular steel side covers. These are intended to keep dust out of the mechanism but their major purpose IMO is to retain the two leaf springs that are inside the assembly. These springs allow the shuttle to act like a snap-action switch, and if one or both is missing the shuttle won't work correctly.

Another clutch failure mode is loss of facing rubber. Without this the clutch will slip while tuning. This facing can be replaced with thin foam rubber to restore slip-free tuning.

These clutches are a bit tricky to remove, but OK if you keep track of what you are doing as you disassemble it. This model is not one of the motor-tuning sets so it is a bit simpler in that regard. However, the dial stringing scheme can be daunting when first encountered.

You can find good used clutch assemblies on eBay, with the "best hunting" being on ebay.de, which is the German edition of the auction site.

My advice is, if you can find someone with Saba service experience who is competent and who is willing to repair this for you, go for it rather than trying to do it yourself. Unless you are a masochist.

Last edited by lorenz200w on Feb Tue 06, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 9:25 pm 

I've attempted to attach a pic of the clutch. There are two silver wires on each of the cord thimbles - looks like they would lock both ends to the shaft making ye clutch inoperative- is this correct and is it a modification?

Otherwise, you will note the cracked Bakelite edges..

K.

Attachments:
File comment: Clutch assembly
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 108.37 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 3:31 am 

It appears from the photo that a previous owner drilled a small hole through each capstan (and through the brass tuning shaft as well) then inserted a locking wire (which resembles a mangled paper clip). This would lock both capstans to the tuning shaft and render the clutch inop.

When the clutch is working, selecting the FM pushbutton throws the clutch backwards against the rear capstan, disengaging the front capstan. Selecting any other band throws the clutch forward against the front capstan and disengages the rear capstan. In this way it is possible to set stations on both FM and AM and switch between the two without having to retune. With the clutch disabled this feature no longer will work.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 12:50 pm 

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

For the time being I will leave it alone and put up with the bands being ganged together. It will be used on FM mostly, so no great problem.

Information on the tuning cord is now clear - thanks for pointers to the radio museum website and for pictures from Bugman. Ready to re-string now. Off to find my box of springs :-)

Kevin.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 4:00 pm 

Just to say that thanks to help and advice here, I successfully restrung the FM part of this radio.

I'm keeping a thread on the UK forum with what I'm upto. Grateful for any help or advice, though it seems to be going OK so far.

Thread is here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/sho ... ost1014561

There are some photos and there is also my rough translation of the German tuning instructions that came with the set.

Thanks again for your help,

Kevin.