Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 24, 2019 10:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters S-38D re cap
PostPosted: Dec Fri 14, 2018 12:49 am 

I have an S38B and a C. The B has a hot chassis, while the C is isolated.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 9:55 pm 

thunderbird281, do you put the rosin mix on the cord by an pully it will go over or the tuning shaft where theres 2 or so windings?

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 10:59 pm 

Apply the rosin mix all along the dial cord where it turns around the shaft. Turn the shaft as you do this to coat the all the cord in the contact area that goes around the shaft. Let dry and do it again if need be.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 24, 2019 12:04 am 

My S-38D isn't like the S-38 guy says the brown and blue wire should be for the BFO stage. The SW is working so maybe it's ok as it is. I'll post two pictures of my wires. My wires are brown with a yellow wire going around the brown wire. Also wanting to know if my ant. is ok.

Just put up an 100' antenna in the attic but had to go back and forth 3 times. Have two radios that I want to use it with. The ends ended up 8' apart and with my two radios in different rooms would it be ok to use one end of ant. with the closer radio and other end with other radio? Probably only have one ant. hooked up to one radio at a time?
My Admiral 195 11s is in dinning room using old Direct TV coax center wire to attic. Going to use one side of speaker wire from shop (S-38D) to other end attic ant.
I would only have one radio connected at a time. Would have two leads from Ant. but not connected to any until I listened to one.

Attachments:
HallicraftersBFO.jpg
HallicraftersBFO.jpg [ 89.14 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]
HallicraftersBFO1.jpg
HallicraftersBFO1.jpg [ 167.82 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 24, 2019 12:36 am 

Can only use one radio at a time with a single antenna wire. If another radio is connected even off, the antenna coils make a load on the antenna. If the BFO is not to great when using SSB ham talk. The solid wire from the IF can wrap one turn around the open ended wire. ( like the yellow insulated wire on other end is) This gives more CW beat. Use band spread to rock in garble.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3