Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 6:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Forum Change and Rules Addition
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 1:27 am 

It doesn't do much to diminish the damage we are perceiving, but perhaps he was thinking of writing a book, or a website about those thread topics, and wished to not be "competing" against himself... A thin rationale, I know, but that could at least make it an ill-considered act rather than malevolent or spiteful.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:21 am 

I think someone stated that once you post to the forum it is no longer your--- intellectual --- property. It seems that he is destroying someone else's information now. I could be wrong which would be the first time today.. Tom

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 11:05 am 

Gotta love it. Buncha techs theorizing what went wrong. These days, capacitors can fail before the warranty even runs out, ya know. They don't need a reason, but there's always the other C word.

Myslef [sic] thinks we're over analyzing and over dramatizing. Defiling, defacing, destroying... bit intense for the circumstance, nes ce? The board is no worse off than if he had chosen not to participate in the first place. Which is kinda what he did, after the fact.

Here's a theory: The man's got a lot of high-value stuff in his house. Maybe he got a little queasy about advertising it where ANYbody could see and backtrack to his identity and location. ??

Sure, if someone gets a 'reason' and clearance to pass it along, by all means do. Otherwise, it's over, let it go.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:07 pm 

I'm glad editing has been enabled again.

It's a shame those posts were vandalized in such a manner... While they are being restored it may be possible to find them on the Archive.org wayback machine or similar page cashing systems.

If he deleted 1960 posts in 10 days he must have deleted close to 200 posts per day...If there was a mechanism in place to alert moderators of any user editing a large number of posts (say 25-75) per day this vandalism would be easy to catch in the act and halt early in it's progress at the point repair is less of a headache. I think that would be a good targeted way to address the problem without stepping on the toes of general membership and or causing bigger headaches than the vandalism it's self....just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:27 pm 

Thanks again, Alan. Oddly enough, I had occasion to edit one thread today that Photobucket had mutilated. It helped because we now can host our own pictures.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 10:00 pm 

Scott wrote:
egg wrote:
Edit: Spite?
Have a little stroll through this four-page thread Kirk.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=359152&hilit=jon

25 posts scrubbed in 4 minutes. I assume there is a program that does this.

Sounds likely. In fact I wonder if it was, in fact, the original member who did this...

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 12:05 am 

JnTX wrote:
I would like to go back and correct some things I did 50 years ago but it isn't going to happen.

Jay

Yea, I'd still still like to correct a certain federal court brief in which I didn't notice, until after filing, that the phrase "fraudulent intent" had inadvertently been spell-corrected to "flatulent intent."

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 1:22 am 

judge wrote:
Scott wrote:
egg wrote:
Edit: Spite?
Have a little stroll through this four-page thread Kirk.
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... &hilit=jon

25 posts scrubbed in 4 minutes. I assume there is a program that does this.

Sounds likely. In fact I wonder if it was, in fact, the original member who did this...

A simple keyboard macro extension in FF or Chrome - easy to do. We use them to print reports at work. Typing the same keystrokes daily got to some, and some others of us :wink: :wink: came from Curriculum Development backgrounds where repeatedly typing the same objective format gets old....enter the keyboard macro. I once used the technique to update 232 Fitness Reports (actually, evaluations...) when the bosses wanted a closing date changed. I was finished in about 20 minutes with macros. Then I had to spend the next two hours TEACHING macros to others that couldn't believe I finished before them. So much for time saving....

On ARF:

Step 1. Open Post
Step 2. Click / Tab to Edit
Step 3. Select all
Step 4. Replace with "whatever text, (or none...)
Step 5. Click / tab to Save

Record Steps 2-5 above and save the macro......

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 6:03 pm 

To bad he had to delet things ,i enjoyed looking at his re :D storations.Alan thanks for putting the edit feature back in and thanks fr running a great site!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 7:20 pm 

Alan - Is there no way to lock posts that are a week or even a month old and still allow editing up to that time to prevent this type of vandalism from happening again?

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 7:43 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
Alan - Is there no way to lock posts that are a week or even a month old and still allow editing up to that time to prevent this type of vandalism from happening again?

Those up us with year plus old threads with damaged photos (and who like to add info to old posts) would strongly prefer that rule not be implemented...

I still say it would be better to limit the number of edits a user is allowed in a day or atleast implement a moderator notification of mass edits....any member that has posted enough to be missed and who doesn't want to waste several weeks of their life would have to edit north of 50 posts in a day...if moderators were alerted to abnormally high post edits of any single member they could catch them early in the act... And doing it that way wouldn't stop us from curating our older posts to keep pictures and accurate concise info up to date.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 11:47 pm 

I wonder if the forum software is capable of allowing only additional text to be added to old posts, while the original text would be unchangeable. The addition could go at the bottom of the original text with an "Edited to Add:" line separating the original text and the addition. This would address many of the problems that the members have expressed concerns about. New photo links could be added to replace broken links. And in the classifieds, sold items could be listed at the bottom of the original message.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 3:01 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:

Those up us with year plus old threads with damaged photos (and who like to add info to old posts) would strongly prefer that rule not be implemented...

I still say it would be better to limit the number of edits a user is allowed in a day or atleast implement a moderator notification of mass edits....any member that has posted enough to be missed and who doesn't want to waste several weeks of their life would have to edit north of 50 posts in a day...if moderators were alerted to abnormally high post edits of any single member they could catch them early in the act... And doing it that way wouldn't stop us from curating our older posts to keep pictures and accurate concise info up to date.

A new posting could be added to update old posts and photos in old, less active threads. I would think that would be preferable if it would prevent more vandalism to the site, assuming there's no other way to protect old posts. The 232 changes in twenty minutes method mentioned earlier in the thread means a lot of damage could be done before its stopped, better to prevent it in the first place.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 1:10 pm 

Interesting discussion.

I usually click the little arrow on the topic icon to "View first unread post". If people are editing old posts, potentially days or months, those who operate in this way are unlikely to see the edits, as we're skipping past that to the new posts. I would think it would make more sense to add a new post updating the information. YMMV..

Peter

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 1:42 pm 

We just had an incident where a previously good URL was posted, but now that URL belongs to a squatter who distributes malware.

Fortunately, the OP could edit his original post removing the offending link.

I think it would be best to leave editing as is.

Thanks
-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 2:14 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
We just had an incident where a previously good URL was posted, but now that URL belongs to a squatter who distributes malware.

Fortunately, the OP could edit his original post removing the offending link.

I think it would be best to leave editing as is.

Thanks
-Steve

There are a lot of occasions where the unlimited editing really helps the forum, more so than a rogue user here or there that deletes their posts. Nobody wants a link to malware to stand in the archives.

We just need to keep in mind that unlimited editing is a privilege for us and not a right. As such, it has the potential to be abused, and if this kind of deleting starts happening more often, we will loose that privilege.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 2:16 pm 

Peter wrote:
Interesting discussion.

I usually click the little arrow on the topic icon to "View first unread post". If people are editing old posts, potentially days or months, those who operate in this way are unlikely to see the edits, as we're skipping past that to the new posts. I would think it would make more sense to add a new post updating the information. YMMV..

Peter

+1

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 4:31 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
atwaterkent1 wrote:
Peter wrote:
Interesting discussion.

Peter

+1

I also read by viewing "new posts", then click the little arrow to go to "first unread".

But .... as big as this forum is, there is globe full of people searching for information on their old radio who will end up at a post, simply because a search engine puts them there, so it would be nice if that info was as correct as the poster intended.

Do we have any obligation to people who search and land? No ..... but it's not a bad thing to be as accurate as possible with the information that's posted here.

In my opinion, the number of people who "delete and leave" is super small compared to the benefit of being able to edit.

.... just my $0.05 ...

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 5:18 pm 

When I make a major info update edit I do try to make a new post pointing to it and or summarizing it....
There are sometimes people who have the same set and want to read the thread from step one (I know because I sometimes do this for sets before I start) and I want them to have good info from me.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 99 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5