Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 16, 2019 9:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stewart Warner 62TC16
PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:04 am 

I just received this S-W 62TC16 and opened it up on the bench for a peek. Low and behold, it is tuned with movable slugs in the coils, which I have read about but have never seen in person. (somewhat of a newbie yet!) Are there any tricks or tips on working on this type of tuning? The underside of the chassis is spotless and unmolested, but the topside shows evidence of minor mouse habitation. Nothing that won't clean up, but nasty just the same. By the way, I HATE mouse turds! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Stewart Warner 62TC16
PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 12:29 am 

That sort of tuning ("permeability tuning") was common in automobile radios for decades. I think that this style of tuner (fixed capacitor, variable inductor) was thought to be more rugged in that application (as in "resistant to vibration") than variable-cap, fixed-inductor tuners. Stewart-Warner built both automobile and home-use radios, so maybe they overbought on the auto radio tuner side and thought that they'd use up the excess in their home radio sets. But that's purely speculation. Maybe they were just trying to be different.

Permeability-tuned radios have the slugs attached to a common bar via threaded brass rods. The bar is linked to the tuning knob and moves both (or in some cases, three) slugs together. Alignment adjustments are done by screwing the brass rods in or out, which corresponds to adjusting trimmer/padder caps on conventional (variable-cap) radios. The alignment procedure for your radio should cover this in detail.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 3:47 am 

I have discovered that the resident mouse (mice?) destroyed the antenna coupling coil, is there a way to bypass this coil?

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 2:59 pm 

Can't "bypass" it but it can be replaced. New generic repros are still available. Whether one would be a good replacement part when used in your radio is another question (and one I can't answer).

To ensure a good match, you might want to rewind the damaged part, if enough remains of it for you to figure out the number of turns on each of the two windings.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 5:08 am 

The antenna coupling coil has a movable slug the same as the other coils. I don't see how a generic coil would work, and I'm not sure I can determine the number of turns on the old coil. I may have to hold out for a parts set.