Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 05, 2019 4:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 7S232, getting ready
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 4:03 am 

Hello, everyone. This is my first post so, up front, let me say that I’ve found that this site is a great resource for the “crash course” I’ve been taking to prep electrically a Zenith I’ll be talking about. I’ve noticed the willingness of this group to share their knowledge with anyone who hopes to keep these beauties performing.

I’d like to share some thoughts about getting this very nice Zenith 7S232 up and running. Except for the capacitor on top of the chassis and power cord, I think it’s quite original.

I haven’t powered it up yet. I have no idea of its state when last powered down.

Rather than having this radio sitting around looking pretty, I’d like to see it working. For this radio, I realize that all of the capacitors will need replacing and the resistors will need to be checked. I’ve purchased both, referencing the schematic.
I understand that if the tubes are pulled, the transformer can be powered up incrementally to check for overheating. When the radio is ready, it will be powered up the same way.
I have a variable transformer that has a digital meter to monitor volts and amps and it’s accurate.

Further, I’d like to keep this radio as original as possible so I won’t change anything on the topside of the chassis. I hope only replacing the capacitors will be enough but we’ll see.

The chassis is out of the cabinet. I’ve gone through the shutter dial, freed up the “clock” gearing, cleaned the tubes, and replaced the grommets on the variable condenser. I think I’m at the capacitor replacement stage.

If anyone is wondering, it has the 6U5 tube. It needs two small knobs. A few photos will follow.

David
Lafayette, IN

Attachment:
front (2).jpg
front (2).jpg [ 122.46 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

Attachment:
left corner (2).jpg
left corner (2).jpg [ 193.51 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

Attachment:
rear chassis (2).jpg
rear chassis (2).jpg [ 245.21 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

Attachments:
chassisbtmfull (2).jpg
chassisbtmfull (2).jpg [ 313.36 KiB | Viewed 122 times ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith 7S232, getting ready
PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:02 am 

With a little searching, you can probably find an original electrolytic (bad of course) to mount on top of the chassis strictly for appearance, and install the new ones underneath the chassis.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.