Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 06, 2020 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grundig Majestic 9065
PostPosted: Mar Mon 02, 2020 2:51 pm 

Hi,

I picked up Grundig Majestic 9065 just yesterday, and I plugged it in and nothing happened no Lights, no buzz of the tubes warming up. I wanted to verify what the problem could be I am thinking it's the power supply or maybe fuses. Please let me know your thoughts, whatever help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Frank Guariglia

Post subject: Re: Grundig Majestic 9065
PostPosted: Mar Mon 02, 2020 3:48 pm 

Could be---Bad power cord... bad power tranny...bad connection in the fuse holder(s)... broken wire in the power supply... the diode bridge bad... bad power piano key off/on switch... bulbs bad (you mentioned no lights worked, and they do go bad)... Do the tubes light up?....Could it be a 230 volt model?...I've repaired a number of these, and all the above has happened at least once or more to me. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 02, 2020 8:15 pm 

Could be something as simple as a blown fuse (Grundig fused all of their line-operated tube sets) but it's really a waste of time to speculate about it. Should just take a matter of minutes armed with a digital multimeter to determine what the failure mode is.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 02, 2020 10:14 pm 

lorenz200w and Tbridkid

Thank you both for answering giving me some direction to follow. This is my first foray into this type of repair or diagnostic effort, I am sure I will have more questions as try my hand at this.

Sincerely
Frank G.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 02, 2020 10:21 pm 

Tbirdkid

I didn't see or hear the tubes start to warm up usually there would a buzz or some sort of noise with them but the unit looked totally dead as if no power was even getting past the power supply but I won't know until I really give it a good cleaning with a vacuum this unit has been sitting for years so it could be one thing or several.

Sincerely,
Frank G.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 3:38 pm 

Quote:
I won't know until I really give it a good cleaning with a vacuum this unit has been sitting for years so it could be one thing or several.
Whoa Frank!!!!....Don't get a vacuum near this radio!!! There are hair sized exposed coil wires all over the place that could easily break, especially underneath...then you're SOL. Safest is just use your 'breath' to get rid of the loose dust bunnies on the top at first...then get a small soft brush and carefully whisk away the more stubborn dust if you have to...Don't worry about getting it perfectly clean yet. Please also note that these German sets, for the most part, have all exposed connections on their power and output trannies...could be some capacitors hold some charge..or, when you're working on these 'live', be aware of these exposed connections with 250+DC exposed...these sets weren't UL approved...LOL!!!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 4:03 pm 

Okay, I am glad I haven't started messing with it yet. Thank you for the heads up. Yikes, I didn't realize that these units were not UL approved I will have to take great care not ruin the radio anymore then it already is and I don't feel like getting shocked for any reason. LOL

Once I get a chance to take a close look at this radio I will keep you updated.

Thanks again for your help.

Frank G.