Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 03, 2020 3:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chassis Finish
PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 1:18 am 

I'm restoring this Zenith and it looks to be plated with something. Doesn't look like copper but it doesn't look like paint.

What do you folks do to take care of rust spots on this type of chassis? Thinking that it should be cleaned and left alone.

Attachment:
20200404_123106.jpg
20200404_123106.jpg [ 887.47 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

Post subject: Re: Chassis Finish
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 2:55 am 

You’ll probably get several opinions on this one, but if that chassis was mine I would simply clean the transformer and coil cans ( I like to use Naval jelly on that sort of job ).... and clean the sheet metal as best I could and let it go at that. After all – I don’t think it looks all that bad.

To completely refinish that copper colored sheet metal would be a massive undertaking… Requiring the chassis to be stripped of all topside components.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 4:01 am 

Some restorers use a copper hammertone spray paint to repaint the chassis. You can find a lot of articles about it. Here is one.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107514

Looking for mid to late 1930s Canadian Rogers, Majestic, and DeForest Crosley radios

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 2:15 pm 

I just finished working on a Zenith 5s228. The chassis had some rust spots like yours. It had the hammered finish. I did not want to remove everything on top so I cleaned rust spots. Then I sprayed some hammered tone paint into the spray can top and used a small soft brush and painted the chassis. It turned out better than I thought it would. Not as nice as removing everything and spraying the chassis but it looked a lot better than doing nothing to the chassis. I also painted the transformer the same way.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 08, 2020 6:56 pm 

It is copper plate that has been lacquered. The lacquer has failed and contaminates have compromised the copper plate, thus, rust.

How you patch is up to you. At least, loosen and remove surface rust barnacles either spot cover with a faux copper then clear lacquer or just the lacquer to retard any new rust...

He, he, be careful with air blast around the mica caps...

Chas