Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 12:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Delco car radio 16040862 - schematics needed
PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 4:36 pm 

Hi,

my father in law has a small radio repair shop in Czech Republic (Europe). One of his customers brought him DELCO 16040862 for repair.

He was able to repair some things, but there is still issue with tuner and display and he is not able to do that without wiring schematics.

Is there anybody who would have such schematics for this or similar radio type and would be willing to send me pdf of this?

I already tried GM and AC Delco on facebook, they do not have this (but their customer service is very kind). I also tried several service manuals website (SAMs etc.) but without any luck. There are some service manuals (not for this particular part number) on ebay, but without delivery outside US.

On one forum I found also these details:
FCC ID ABO 9GNFM20EV
SERVICE MANUAL NO. 2H
PACKAGE NO. 998632 MV86
PART NO. 16040862

Thanks for your help.

Jakub

Post subject: Re: Delco car radio 16040862 - schematics needed
PostPosted: Apr Sun 05, 2020 7:39 pm 

Ouch. That's going to be hard. In the car world, "2H" usually means "2 high", the 4WD setting to only connect the driveshaft to the two back wheels at high gear. Basically, 2H is for on-road driving.

He might be better off getting a replacement from eBay. ~35 year old car stereos aren't too hard to find still. If anything, it would have spare parts to try swapping between them and make one whole radio.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 3:52 pm 

The digital units need a separate "keep alive" 12 volt supply to operate the clock/PLL chip. This needs to stay on, even with the main power disconnected; this holds the tuning presets in memory. 2H refers to the service literature.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 4:55 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
This needs to stay on, even with the main power disconnected; this holds the tuning presets in memory.

That has changed now that flash memory has become super cheap. Presets are stored now. But yes, that was the truth for several decades, including OP's radio. The clock is still ran on constant 12V though. Some models now even have a calendar to take care of the Daylight Savings hour adjustment for you.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 7:01 am 

ZombieElvis wrote:
He might be better off getting a replacement from eBay. ~35 year old car stereos aren't too hard to find still. If anything, it would have spare parts to try swapping between them and make one whole radio.

yeah, this is backup solution as shipping to Czech republic is insane connected with VAT and customs, the customer prefers repair first, therefore I am trying all kinds of old car/radio forums :)