Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 10:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sears Silvertone 7076 Restoration Options, Need Your Opinion
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 3:51 am 

I was lucky enough to score a Silvertone 7076 from a thrift shop for $30. The cabinet is in great shape, but the electronics were all disassembled and in a box sitting next to it. I've never worked on a radio before, but I can solder well and know some basic circuit troubleshooting. I picked up the Photofact for it, reconnected some loose wires, cleaned & re-lubricated the record changer, and replaced some capacitors on the amplifier (was getting a 60hz AC hum in one channel). The cabinet is now pretty much working, but I need some advice on where to go from here.

• Is this receiver/amp worth continuing to refurbish, or would I be better off replacing them with some higher quality 80's hardware?
  • The turntable works well mechanically, but the audio quality it pretty bad. I put in a NoS stylus, which helped, but it still cuts in and out. I think the wires coming from the stylus may have been pinched at some point, wiggling them seems to help sometimes. It also runs a little slow. I tried cleaning the the turntable & idler wheel areas, but I still get about 32RPM. Given these issues, would I be better off replacing this with a more modern turntable?
  • The original speakers were removed before I got the cabinet. For troubleshooting, I've been using a pair of external Pioneer CS-G303 speakers. The original speakers were a 12" woofer with a 4" mid mounted inside the woofer, and a 2x6 horn. What would you recommend I do for replacement speakers?

Attachments:
IMG_20200324_225408.jpg
IMG_20200324_225408.jpg [ 682.61 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
IMG_20200405_161336.jpg
IMG_20200405_161336.jpg [ 711.4 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sears Silvertone 7076 Restoration Options, Need Your Opi
PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 5:23 pm 

The missing speakers are pretty much a dealbreaker IMO. The original amp was relatively low-powered by today's standard: probably less than 12 watts RMS per channel (50 watts IHF), so high efficiency speakers like the ones that it was originally equipped with are necessary. You can probably find these on eBay given enough time, but the lackluster receiver/amp and misbehaving changer make this nice cabinet a candidate for a full retrofit with better components... but only if you are prepared to berth an aircraft carrier in your living space.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 7:16 pm 

That all makes sense and is pretty much what I was expecting to hear. Thank you very much for taking the time to point me in the right direction. I'll read up and start putting a plan together for a full retrofit.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 10:37 pm 

And the bonus in keeping it is that you will be able to land a model airplane on the top deck... :wink: