Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 03, 2020 5:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 14' power cord
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 11:28 pm 

While pawing through the modern, polarized, brown power cords I have, I pulled out one that was in the back of the drawer for a long time, (I've forgotten where it came from,) but it is a 14 footer in good cosmetic shape. I'm thinking of putting it in a Zenith 12-S-265. I'm not sure where I'm going to put the radio, but both likely spots in the house wouldn't need quite as long a cord. The cabinet does have lots of room to store the excess.
Is 14' too long?

Post subject: Re: 14' power cord
PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2020 11:49 pm 

If it's a 16 gauge or 18 gauge cord, then 14' is not too long for the relatively low amount of current drawn by the Zenith. But there's no reason for having a cord that long if you don't need to. Since the cord will be providing power only to the radio, it would work fine at that length. Most OEM cords were about 6' long.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 1:49 am 

It's 18 gauge, same as the one in there now. After it goes in, I'll know where it is if I need it in another project. :D

PostPosted: Apr Tue 07, 2020 3:23 pm 

Aside from a long cord's extra, small amount of voltage drop (which might be a benefit on some radios?); be sure to consider its possible safety issues, like becoming a trip hazard or going under a chair or table leg, later causing a fire, etc. All of these things are covered in electrical code; hopefully common sense would alert one to these things.