Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 09, 2020 9:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith 6G501M portable
PostPosted: Apr Sun 19, 2020 10:56 pm 

I've got most of the caps replaced. Some of the wires are fine and some are crumbling. Where can I purchase the original type of wires?
Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Apr Mon 20, 2020 9:54 pm 

What is the original rating and gauge of the wire in this radio? It appears to be solid and shiny, like silver? The fabric covered stuff is OK, but most of the rubber covered wires are crumbling. Is it OK to use 18ga copper stranded wire?
Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Apr Mon 20, 2020 11:27 pm 

The 18ga will be fine. You could even go 20ga. I had to replace all wiring on my 6G601 and I used the 20ga on everything. Some may disagree, but the radio has been working fine for months now. I found a box of 7 colored 20ga solid on the net. I like solid over stranded. I find it easier to work with, but that is a user preference. Zenith portables don’t give you much working room. I found replacing the wire on this radio to be a royal pain. You have to disrupt a lot of connections and parts. Check, recheck, and check again that the wire is on the proper terminal. It will payback in spades at the end.

Slow and easy.
Freeman

PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2020 11:51 am 

I see a lot of solid 20 ga wire with 300V rating. Is that adequate for these radios?
Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2020 2:29 pm 

Yup. Max voltage is under 100V so 20ga is fine. This is a different brand, but the same as what I have.
https://www.amazon.com/Electronix-Expre ... B00RH5I4EA
I picked out one color and ran the filament line with it. Red was B+. Green was ground (B-).
If you have to replace all the wire then it will take a while to complete. Mine took over a month for me.
The worst is the Osc-RF area. Very,very crowded there.

Freeman

PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2020 2:52 pm 

I would get 600v wire since you will be able to use it on other radios that run at higher voltages. The difference between 300v and 600v wire is the insulation. I would buy an assortment of colors; black, white, red, blue, green, yellow and orange.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2020 11:05 pm 

Andy's statement is correct. The 600v wire will get a lot more use down the road. I was thinking you were going to do a complete rewire. Then the 300v is easier to work with on this radio, but that's not the case looking at your pictures. Some of your wires have cracks, but that doesn't mean they have to be replaced. Wiring normally lays on the floor of the chassis and if left untouched will be fine. You only have to replace a wire if it crumbles and now you have a bare wire.

I would continue with your restore and deal with a bad wire only if it falls apart.

Freeman

PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2020 11:11 pm 

OK, so I'll only be playing with tube radios. Zenith TO's and knock offs. Is the 300V stuff good enough?
Also, as is typical, the higher voltage rated stuff is smaller diameter. I see a lot of 600V 22ga for sale, Is that adequate for all my vintage radio needs?
Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Apr Thu 23, 2020 2:30 pm 

The higher the voltage rating, the larger the wires isolation. I don't think you would want to use 300V wire on a transformer radio. So the 600V wire would cover any radio. Replacing the wiring is not that common. My 1940 radio is the oldest I have worked on, so others here would know more about that then I.

Freeman

PostPosted: Apr Thu 23, 2020 4:26 pm 

I mic'd the wire on this 6G501M and it comes in at .032" or 20 ga. The 22ga stuff is .025" So I guess I'll get the 20 ga. stuff rated at 600V, if I can find it.
Have a nice day
Steve

PostPosted: Apr Thu 23, 2020 5:09 pm 

smcmanus wrote:
I mic'd the wire on this 6G501M and it comes in at .032" or 20 ga. The 22ga stuff is .025" So I guess I'll get the 20 ga. stuff rated at 600V, if I can find it.
Have a nice day
Steve

The highest voltage present in the radio is about 130V, you do not need "600V" wire. Essentially any hook-up wire would be sufficient.

Brett

PostPosted: Apr Sun 26, 2020 6:31 pm 

I got it all back together for a test run. YAY! It works!!
I checked voltage chassis to ground to check for safety. I'm getting about .003vdc and .3vac. Is this normal?
Initially there was some static on most stations but that went away when I turned off the fluorescent lights in my shop. Normal?
I ended up using 450V electrolytic capacitors since my order has gone missing. Does this affect anything? Should I go with the 250V caps if/when they ever show up?
The 1LA6 converter tube had been replaced with a 1LC6, is this a suitable substitute?
Finally, the 117Z6G rectifier tube is alarmingly bright! Full line voltage so I'm guessing it is OK.
Thanks for all the help!
Steve

PostPosted: Apr Mon 27, 2020 6:06 am 

smcmanus wrote:
I got it all back together for a test run. YAY! It works!!
I checked voltage chassis to ground to check for safety. I'm getting about .003vdc and .3vac. Is this normal?
Initially there was some static on most stations but that went away when I turned off the fluorescent lights in my shop. Normal?
I ended up using 450V electrolytic capacitors since my order has gone missing. Does this affect anything? Should I go with the 250V caps if/when they ever show up?
The 1LA6 converter tube had been replaced with a 1LC6, is this a suitable substitute?
Finally, the 117Z6G rectifier tube is alarmingly bright! Full line voltage so I'm guessing it is OK.
Thanks for all the help!
Steve

As long as they fit, there's no reason to replace the 450V units with 250V.

Different manufacturer's tubes vary in how much they appear to light up. Here is my 6g501 and (Sylvania) 117Z6, it's nothing out of the ordinary about the light it gives off. It gets *plenty hot* after a while.

Attachment:
zenith6g501_117z6.jpg
zenith6g501_117z6.jpg [ 495.11 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]

The 1LA6 and the 1LC6 are generally compatible. This radio has a 1LC6 right now, at these frequencies (BC) it doesn't make any difference in the performance, and the 1LA6 appears to work much better on shortwave, so I swapped the 1LA6 to the 8G005 and the 1LC6 to this one.

Congratulations on getting it working, it is a great performer.

Brett

Last edited by Brett_Buck on Apr Tue 28, 2020 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2020 12:39 am 

+2 Congratulations. You said "I'm determined" in the beginning and you did it.
You went a little high on the voltage caps, but as Brett said. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Freeman

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2020 1:59 am 

Thanks to you guys who helped. I learned much from this project. I would not recommend this as the 2nd project radio for a newby like me. Not much room in the chassis, and all the crumbling wires. I will endeavor to persevere as Chief Dan George said.
It's better to be Lucky, than Good!
Steve

PostPosted: May Wed 13, 2020 5:54 am 

Freeman wrote:
Your problem with the second cap with the missing symbols is because they ran out of triples that day and the girl put a double in which didn’t have symbols on it, but she did have a black cover and through it over the can. Not all cans have them on the bottom.
This is where the schematic comes into play. You have 2 knows. ( The can with the symbols ) Pick one terminal and follow the wire and mark where it goes. Compare it with the schematic and place the symbol on that cap. Do the same with #2. You said there is an electrolytic under the chassis by itself. Do the same thing with that cap. Mark the schematic as known somehow. Now only 2 left and do the same thing here. Write it down like. Blue wire is 40u and red wire is 20u. Now you know where all your electrolitics are under the chassis.

I take pictures with my camera. A lot of pictures. I’ve done a lot of TO’s and I still take pictures. Print out the underside of the chassis and write, were each cap terminal is and the C number of that cap.
When ready, remove the wire from one terminal and attach it to the correct new cap. The positive wires must be removed from the cans, but you can use the original B- that is attached to the cans edge lugs.

Hope I didn’t confuse you. I found a 6G601 bomber om pa day. It is not in real good shape for the price. Tom
number:164193731600
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Freeman

PostPosted: Jun Wed 03, 2020 6:53 pm 

I took this radio to the cabin and listened to it for a few days. It sounded good and then it started making a dugadugadugaduga sound that progressively got worse to the point that is all I get now. dugadugaduga...................................

As previously noted, I am an electrical moron.

Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Jun Fri 05, 2020 7:53 pm 

OK, so I've got the chassis out and am checking voltage. The only tube getting warm is the rectifier and its ac and dc voltages are close. I'm not getting any voltage along the filaments. Stupid question #1: What should my minus probe be grounded on when checking the filament voltages? Stupid question #2 What is the likely problem? Since it was working well, then quickly went bad, I'm thinking tubes.
As always, any help is appreciated.
Steve

PostPosted: Jun Fri 05, 2020 9:41 pm 

Never mind! Using my meager logic, I figured it must be an electrical glitch. I checked the filaments for resistance and the heater in the 1LN5 IF tube was open. Back in business.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 05, 2020 11:14 pm 

smcmanus wrote:
Never mind! Using my meager logic, I figured it must be an electrical glitch. I checked the filaments for resistance and the heater in the 1LN5 IF tube was open. Back in business.

For now...

These radios have a poor method to control the filament string current. I would strongly recommend that you take the chassis out, hook everything up, turn it on, and monitor the voltage across each filament for a while, looking for any to go over 1.5 volts. If to, you might want to put trim resistors in series or across your candohm, or whatever you replaced it with, to get the voltage right.

Brett

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 51 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next